NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
This. There is a reason Cronk wanted the Roosters to go after Croft but they ended up with the cheats son.

Croft does not have to be our flashy half, he needs to work the game plan, order the troops and provide a solid kicking game. With Milf as Xfactor. I think him and Milf could really work.

This if true is a good signing.
He actually seems the perfect half to partner Milford

And from what I got from Brodie's brief moment of speaking about the meeting was that he and Seibs "we discussed the potential there at the Broncos, it was a good conversation" - to me means they discussed the role he'd have in the team.

At that point in time, Brodie's rumoured issue was that he wasn't being given the reins to the team. And on the eve of the finals had just been left out of the tipping end their campaign.

I'd say the subject of taking full control as an on the ball, game managing halfback was offered.

This means he'll be the new in game chief. No established systems, entirely new spine.. Milford will be able to breathe a sigh of relief even if not at first.. Seibs sent him back to fullback to get him running again last year. Even if not in an attacking sense but just generally... Literally, RUN around and get back to footy again

Brodie will finally get what he's wanted, no other dominant playmaker in the spine (brand new non established 9 & 1) & Milford will get what he's needed for ages, a player who's wanting to be dominant and control.

Perfect timed signing

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
And ben hunt took us to a GF and lost , what's your point ?
Difference is, in that situation Croft was dropped and not the ball.

Brodie was denied a chance to win the gf this year.

Ben Hunt failed to win the Grand final in 15

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
For those excited about Brodie's imminent signing with us, please refer to the following link for some interesting insights and vision of his career thus far. In one particular video, it is noted he had 13 try assists in just 9 games for the Storm under 20s - not too shabby at all! One of the things that has really struck me in the videos I have been viewing since the news broke is the kid's speed and ability/willingness to back up. He looks super quick and compared to Turps, it is like Usain Bolt running against a snail. Also of note, he was a half coming through school but was put on the wing at Churchie for one reason and one reason only - a lad by the name of Ponga had that flyhalf position locked up!

Admins, please delete my post if links to FB are not permitted here (apologies).

I saw a lot to like in that video.

Nepal Donkeys

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Forgive me for not jizzing my pants and thinking we'll make the Top 4 with this signing.

Croft is, at best, a project halfback signing. He got dropped for a fullback (Hughes) at the Storm. Maybe the spine didn't work for his playing style with Smith & Munster (although it certainly went alright for their last dominant halfback....)

I just don't see Croft fixing any of our problems (nor Seibold for that matter, but different story). I'll believe it when I see it.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Like everyone else in the playing and coaching group, Croft, or whoever we bring in, gets a clean slate for 2020. Pick the blokes who perform please Seibs, even if its the blokes that arent popular choices.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Wouldn't they have kept him if they wanted to keep him? He is under contract
From what I’ve read, the storm had to free up some money to stay under the cap next year with Smith playing on. Curtis Scott was rumoured to be going to Canberra for that reason, so maybe that’s fallen through or they needed more funds freed up.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
From what I’ve read, the storm had to free up some money to stay under the cap next year with Smith playing on. Curtis Scott was rumoured to be going to Canberra for that reason, so maybe that’s fallen through or they needed more funds freed up.

Maybe, but they have been trying to offload Scott for a while now. I think its clear they dont rate or trust Croft. You dont drop your halback who had played most of the year and replace him with a fullback in Hughes if you think highly of him.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Maybe, but they have been trying to offload Scott for a while now. I think its clear they dont rate or trust Croft. You dont drop your halback who had played most of the year and replace him with a fullback in Hughes if you think highly of him.
I think that was more Bellamy trying to fit both Hughes and Paps in the starting side, but that might be me being optimistic. There’s no doubt Croft has some deficiencies and he’s a risk. We’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
James Maloney
Matt Lodge

Tbf mate, they wanted to keep both of those blokes. Lodge went to the Tigers because he homesick, Maloney because he just couldnt force his way into the side, and probably got a better offer financially than the Storm could afford.

I'm still really struggling to think of a player they didnt actually want thats gone on to do anything.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
I like the fact that Croft wanted to be the game manager of the Storm and fair enough it wasn't going to happen while Smith was on field. To me it's a damn good sign that on a team full of superstars he actually wanted to put up his hand and say let me play the seven and guide the club. Would you want it otherwise? Sure, leaders take on an apprentice role but they absolutely want the ball when the game is on the line. Let's be honest, since Hodges retired, I haven't seen one guy in Broncos colours who fit that role. Hopefully Croft has the stones to lead the side.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Ok.

If Croft couldn't make it in the Storm system then what makes you think he'll make it in ours? Is he a proven winner in the number 7?
Yes, kicked match winning field goal and took his team to minor premiers with like a 90% win rate. Once he was out of the team they won at 50%.

He's out because Cameron Smith is a wanker.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Could you name anyone who has improved since leaving the Storm though?

Not saying that Croft is destined to fail just because the Storm let him go I’m just not totally convinced he’s exactly what we need.
James Maloney got a lot better. Left at a similar age and experience level.

Purple Pills

Purple Pills

NRL Player
Jul 13, 2017
Wouldn't they have kept him if they wanted to keep him? He is under contract

Which makes me wonder if the rumours of Canberra being linked to Curtis Scott has anything to do with this change of heart from Melbourne?

After losing Will Chambers to Rugby and with Addo-Carr and Vunivalu being sought after, the last thing the Storm can afford is to lose someone like Curtis Scott because then all of a sudden, their backline options and strike power look very thin.

Could be as simple as now that Cam Smith has been confirmed for 2020, and with Papenhuyzen, Hughes and Munster on the books, this was the easiest way to free up some funds to try and keep their backline intact.

As much shit as I have given to the club and recruitment since that finals embarrassment, I must say we finally got one up on the Storm and did something semi competent.

How we got them to pay some of his wage when they had all the power in the negotiations is a master stroke

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Spoon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Manofoneway
  • Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • mrslong
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Broncs1459
  • Scdeac
  • Allo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Ironbroncos
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.