NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Tbf mate, they wanted to keep both of those blokes. Lodge went to the Tigers because he homesick, Maloney because he just couldnt force his way into the side, and probably got a better offer financially than the Storm could afford.

I'm still really struggling to think of a player they didnt actually want thats gone on to do anything.
From all reports Bellamy wasn’t exactly pushing him out the door.

with Smith re-signing, they have Brendon Smith, Paps, Munster, Hughes and Croft all fighting for 4 positions. Something had to give. I actually see a lot of parallels between Croft and Maloney’s exit from the storm.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
From all reports Bellamy wasn’t exactly pushing him out the door.

with Smith re-signing, they have Brendon Smith, Paps, Munster, Hughes and Croft all fighting for 4 positions. Something had to give. I actually see a lot of parallels between Croft and Maloney’s exit from the storm.

In terms of him having to leave to further his career i agree. Still though, he is the one they are prepared to let leave out of all of them, and he was the one who got dropped when it came to the crucial part of the year. Hopefully, it turns out to be a mistake on their part.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Tbf mate, they wanted to keep both of those blokes. Lodge went to the Tigers because he homesick, Maloney because he just couldnt force his way into the side, and probably got a better offer financially than the Storm could afford.

I'm still really struggling to think of a player they didnt actually want thats gone on to do anything.
Cody Walker

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
In terms of him having to leave to further his career i agree. Still though, he is the one they are prepared to let leave out of all of them, and he was the one who got dropped when it came to the crucial part of the year. Hopefully, it turns out to be a mistake on their part.

Its definitely a concern, I completely agree there. But a team to dominate with a certain player at half for the entire season, only to get dropped on the eve of the finals, only to be brought back in the GF, it’s an odd situation. Also for a team to willingly have 3 fullbacks and no halves, and allowing their only half to apparently walk on the eve of Can Smith re-signing, it points to something behind the scenes in my opinion.

there is definitely more than meets the eye it would appear, whether it is a good or bad indication concerning Croft is only known by Melbourne staff and is up to interpretation by the fans.

Perhaps Bellamy sees deficiencies in Croft’s game that he does not like or perhaps there are some politics at play. I guess we’ll find out. For me personally, the fact he is on less money than Kahu, and considering our half issues, it’s a good signing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

IMO, it will be one of the few mistakes Bellamy has made throughout his career.

they're prepared to let him go because they have Smith to be the game manager, and they rate Hughes highly.

the problem for them as i see it, is that Hughes is a fullback, not a half (the finals series showed that), and once Smith leaves, they will be found wanting in the game management department, as none of their other spine are good in that area.

They dropped Croft, not for his form but rather because Pap demanded a spot in the team, so they needed to find a new position for Hughes ...

Personally, i think they should have let Hughes walk and tried to keep Croft, as they would be much better off in the long run.

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Difference is, in that situation Croft was dropped and not the ball.

Brodie was denied a chance to win the gf this year.

Ben Hunt failed to win the Grand final in 15
Croft also failed in a GF , that's probably why he didn't get the chance.
Did you forget that one ??? You know the previous year, against a one armed cronk.
[automerge]1574469205[/automerge]
From what I’ve read, the storm had to free up some money to stay under the cap next year with Smith playing on. Curtis Scott was rumoured to be going to Canberra for that reason, so maybe that’s fallen through or they needed more funds freed up.
So get rid of someone else, they just resigned a few others. If he's so good why let him go , aswell as chipping in.

Last edited:
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Did you forget that one ??? You know the previous year, against a one armed cronk.
The questions are:- Is croft better than our current options?
are there better ones?
How does this effect both short and long term planning?
I think most people would agree that he beats Turpin at halfback.
He may or may not be better than dearden but it is irrelevent if dearden is unavailable and his signing does not preclude dearden playing. At worst he will take up a couple of hundred thousand on the cap. We spent more on Saviello. Even if we payed full price, he is cheaper than oates (who to this moment, has filled one of the least important roles in the side).
As to whether other options are available, I'm not privy to that knowledge. Green may have been, but is he better? Cody walker? we don't even know if he would be fit and given his age, he may have some issues with fitness.
Croft has a kicking game, He can pass, he can set the field. I don't really concern myself with his defence because that can be improved or covered. The only question is his attitude

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
[automerge]1574469205[/automerge]

So get rid of someone else, they just resigned a few others. If he's so good why let him go , aswell as chipping in.
It would appear that no matter what this current regime does, it is not correct in the eyes of quite a few people posting on this site. Not only that, they are not even prepared to let things play out before making a call that it is mistake.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
are there better ones?
He may or may not be better than dearden but it is irrelevent if dearden is unavailable and his signing does not preclude dearden playing. At worst he will take up a couple of hundred thousand on the cap. We spent more on Saviello. Even if we payed full price, he is cheaper than oates (who to this moment, has filled one of the least important roles in the side).
As to whether other options are available, I'm not privy to that knowledge. Green may have been, but is he better? Cody walker? we don't even know if he would be fit and given his age, he may have some issues with fitness.
Croft has a kicking game, He can pass, he can set the field. I don't really concern myself with his defence because that can be improved or covered. The only question is his attitude
Great post, I agree with all of this. It is worth a gamble on what it is reported we are paying. From what I have seen of him, his defence is not too bad. His kicking game and game management seem to be well above what we were getting from Nikorima. I also agree @Wolfie, I just want them to pick the form players no matter what their previous reputation or CV's say. If Dearden performs better than Croft pick him or vice versa. If they both are performing better than Milford, pick both of them and try Milford as a 14. It might be the wake up call he needs.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
I have read several articles overnight where Bellamy made some very very subtle references to a possible problem with Brodie's attitude, which seemed to relate to him being a little bit cocky and over-confident in himself. Hence, Bellamy dropped him back to QCup on several occasions to possibly bring him back a peg or two and keep his feet on the ground.

Look, he wouldn't be the first player to have a bit of an issue with Bellamy, with him appearing to be very prickly at times. Further, Brodie is a halfback, I want him to be a little bit cocky and be very confident in his ability. I'm sure if it is anything untoward, Seibs will bring him into line pretty quickly - just as he did with Roberts which ultimately led him to being shown the door mid-season.

Despite some negative nellies on here having their doubts, I for one am extremely happy about this signing and believe we may have just snagged a halfback who is on his way to being OUR/THE elite halfback of the comp over the next 10 years for a bargain basement price.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
are there better ones?
Attitude doesn't seem to be a problem, but I can't say for sure.
He is most definitely a better option than turpin at 7 , and he is a talented player. But I'm not sold on him being the man to take us to a premiership, he most certainly is a great addition considering price and contract length. But only time will tell if he can get the job done, personally I'm hoping dearden and paix end up being our 6 & 7 long term.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I’m fine with this, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of Dearden eventually. These players need to fight for their spot though and not be handed it. I’d start the season with Dearden though. Share the workload.

I hope he comes in absolutely despising the Storm and gives away their game plans. We need players who disrespect the Storm and want to beat them.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Attitude doesn't seem to be a problem, but I can't say for sure.
He is most definitely a better option than turpin at 7 , and he is a talented player. But I'm not sold on him being the man to take us to a premiership, he most certainly is a great addition considering price and contract length. But only time will tell if he can get the job done, personally I'm hoping dearden and paix end up being our 6 & 7 long term.
Great post.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I’m fine with this, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of Dearden eventually. These players need to fight for their spot though and not be handed it. I’d start the season with Dearden though. Share the workload.

I hope he comes in absolutely despising the Storm and gives away their game plans. We need players who disrespect the Storm and want to beat them.
I suspect that will be the case.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
It would appear that no matter what this current regime does, it is not correct in the eyes of quite a few people posting on this site. Not only that, they are not even prepared to let things play out before making a call that it is mistake.
Never said it was a mistake, just that I'm not going to get to excited about it . Sorry I'm in the not sold side of this debate.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Never said it was a mistake, just that I'm not going to get to excited about it . Sorry I'm in the not sold side of this debate.
No that is fair enough, hence I liked your post following the one I commented on. I don't know if it is going to work, but I am happy we got some depth, I am happy that there is some competition for spots and we will know after next season whether we look to retain Croft or just move him on.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.