NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
For 270K first year and 440 second we cannot complain. Infact we would be stupid to complain. The timing fits our cap perfect for now, it fits the purpose of the team currently to the best we can get budget wise and it forces both Boyd and Macca out the back door (Both nice guys, but aren't cutting it for the future).

Literally Boyd does not fit in the starting lineup. In some ways Macca doesn't also - i love it.

Last edited:
Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
He's right. Croft is unproven. I hope he proves me wrong but what we need is an out and out proven game managing winner in the number 7. The age difference with Deardon and Croft isn't much, if we're going with youth and inexperience, we may as well persevere with Deardon at 7.
Now we have depth though, we were one injury away to Milford or Dearden to seeing Boyd or Turpin back in the halves and Macca starting hooker.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
For 270K first year and 440 second we cannot complain. Infact we would be stupid to complain. The timing fits our cap perfect for now, it fits the purpose of the team currently to the best we can get budget wise and it forces both Boyd and Macca out the back door (Both nice guys, but aren't cutting it for the future).

Literally Boyd does not fit in the starting lineup. In some ways Macca doesn't also - i love it.

I believe that is exactly why netting Croft was so important to Seibold, and he was clearly determined to get it done. If he can go to the club and say "Boyd and McC are excess to my needs." and have something like this on hand to justify it, it becomes an easier sell to whoever these faceless people are that keep giving those wash ups a gig.

LGH

LGH

NYC Player
Contributor
May 6, 2018
Could you name anyone who has improved since leaving the Storm though?

Not saying that Croft is destined to fail just because the Storm let him go I’m just not totally convinced he’s exactly what we need.
Cooper Cronk did ok. GI did alright too as I recall....

Last edited:
redhood

redhood

BRL Player
Feb 16, 2019
I hope he can solve our halves situation.

I read an article not long ago reporting that Cronk wanted to bring Croft over instead of Flanagan, but Roosters couldn’t get him. Sounds like he is a worker which is what we need in our halves.

Would love to see Croft at 7 and Dearden at 6.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
I hope he can solve our halves situation.

I read an article not long ago reporting that Cronk wanted to bring Croft over instead of Flanagan, but Roosters couldn’t get him. Sounds like he is a worker which is what we need in our halves.

Would love to see Croft at 7 and Dearden at 6.

That would mean milf at 1 which would be a fucking disaster

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
That would mean milf at 1 which would be a fucking disaster

Or alternatively, it could mean Milf gets his ass kicked out the door when is contract is up and we use his million bucks to buy a proper, elite, professional athlete/fullback who actually gives a damn instead of sulking like a spoilt, lazy brat through most of the season.

Last edited:
V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
I think really, the question that was asked was the wrong one. Players have left the Storm system and improved. Melbourne wanted to keep all those blokes you named, but they couldnt fit them in under the cap.

The question that should be asked is more like " has a player who Melbourne released because they didnt want him improved after leaving " I'm struggling to think of any. Maybe there may have been some who left for disciplinary reasons, but at the moment, i cant think of a player Melbourne didnt want who has gone on to prove them wrong.

I think Croft will be a handy pick up, but i'm not getting over excited yet until he is actually here.

Yep that’s what I was trying to get at.

The storm system seems to make players appear better than they actually are because it is so prescribed and regimented that they are just a piece in the puzzle doing their job.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Literally no one is calling Croft our saviour dickhead...

Pretty much everyone is saying it is a risk, but a calculated risk on a genuine half (an area we are severely lacking in) ...

A risk that is certainly worth it, given his price tag (even better since we could get the Storm to chip in a portion).

Some players aren't suited to certain systems ... For example, from all reports Croft is a quality game manager and organiser, but doesn't get to utilise those skills at the Storm, because Smith demands that role ... He won't have that problem here.
Ummm , are you reading the same thread?
A lot of posters are claiming him as our saviour and us genuine premiership threats, dickhead!
I'm all for being positive but some are carrying on like we just signed a young cronk, and as I've said I'm not sold.
So if my concerns about his ability makes me a miserable bastard , than so be it.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
This is interesting. Brodie was actually with us as a kid (till he was 15) before we cut him loose and he went to the Storm. So it looks like our recruitment/retention committee have actually been fucking things up with woeful decisions for longer than we thought.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He steered them to a grand final last year and they lost their way when he was dropped this year so he must have something going for him game management wise

their game plan does not evolve around their halfback, it is everyone but the halfback that is why he has a low amount
And ben hunt took us to a GF and lost , what's your point ?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Could you name anyone who has improved since leaving the Storm though?

Not saying that Croft is destined to fail just because the Storm let him go I’m just not totally convinced he’s exactly what we need.
James Maloney
Matt Lodge

Last edited:
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
For those excited about Brodie's imminent signing with us, please refer to the following link for some interesting insights and vision of his career thus far. In one particular video, it is noted he had 13 try assists in just 9 games for the Storm under 20s - not too shabby at all! One of the things that has really struck me in the videos I have been viewing since the news broke is the kid's speed and ability/willingness to back up. He looks super quick and compared to Turps, it is like Usain Bolt running against a snail. Also of note, he was a half coming through school but was put on the wing at Churchie for one reason and one reason only - a lad by the name of Ponga had that flyhalf position locked up!

Admins, please delete my post if links to FB are not permitted here (apologies).

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
This is interesting. Brodie was actually with us as a kid (till he was 15) before we cut him loose and he went to the Storm. So it looks like our recruitment/retention committee have actually been fucking things up with woeful decisions for longer than we thought.

And that's probably why cronk wanted him at the roosters, already had a connection.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I think really, the question that was asked was the wrong one. Players have left the Storm system and improved. Melbourne wanted to keep all those blokes you named, but they couldnt fit them in under the cap.

The question that should be asked is more like " has a player who Melbourne released because they didnt want him improved after leaving " I'm struggling to think of any. Maybe there may have been some who left for disciplinary reasons, but at the moment, i cant think of a player Melbourne didnt want who has gone on to prove them wrong.

I think Croft will be a handy pick up, but i'm not getting over excited yet until he is actually here.
Storm were still keen to keep Croft.. were just wanting on Smith decision. Funny how Smith makes a call then next day Croft is getting a release

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Alec
  • Galah
  • Spoon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Painin the Haas
  • Manofoneway
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Lostboy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • mrslong
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Broncs1459
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.