Queensland 2013

How is Hodges a bad defender?
Have you seen him play for the Broncos this year? He's been very good defensively.

Have you seen him play for the Broncos this year? He's been very good defensively.

When he's on, he's great. When he's not, he misreads play and gets wrong footed and ends up doing arm/collar grabs unsuccessfully.

Like I said, he's an enigma.

I've been watching him play since he started. He can put a good shot on, which is apparently enough for a lot of people, but he can be extremely lazy, a shirt grabber and often misreads the situation entirely. Certainly far behind real defensively good centres like Cooper (at least in the past), Lyon, Tate etc...shit, even Reed probably. But there aren't a lot of balanced centres like that NRL.

Well no, I wouldn't class Reed as a great defensive centre going by this year's performances. He's been guilty of a few bad reads (pun not intended).

He's a hot and cold defender.

As evidenced by Origin 1. Makes a fantastic tackle on Brett Stewart that absolutely saved a try in the early going but for the rest of the game he's a shirt grabbing, out of position player who is absolutely no help to Cronk (who had a shocker that night too, but learnt and improved 100% next time T-Rex played) & Tate (who really isn't a winger).

I'd rather Tate than Hodges at this level.

At club I'd take Hodges over Tate in a heart-beat.

He's a hot and cold defender.

As evidenced by Origin 1. Makes a fantastic tackle on Brett Stewart that absolutely saved a try in the early going but for the rest of the game he's a shirt grabbing, out of position player who is absolutely no help to Cronk (who had a shocker that night too, but learnt and improved 100% next time T-Rex played) & Tate (who really isn't a winger).

I'd rather Tate than Hodges at this level.

At club I'd take Hodges over Tate in a heart-beat.

Game 3 was a shocker for hodges too. as pointed out he missed 9 tackles and i distinctively remember a few of his misses where his opposite just stepped inside a bit and hodges just lazily stuck his arm out (even hit him around the head a few times)

Game 3 was a shocker for hodges too. as pointed out he missed 9 tackles and i distinctively remember a few of his misses where his opposite just stepped inside a bit and hodges just lazily stuck his arm out (even hit him around the head a few times)

Yep, that's what happens. I think a lot of that comes down to Hodges' very long stride too. It's not like he can change direction in a hurry and react if a player steps inside.

What would your side look like next year?

At a pinch...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Brent Tate
5. Justin O'Neil
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Te'o
15. Ben Hannant
16. Josh McGuire
17. Dave Taylor

You have a point about Hodgo........the dummy half runs aren't cutting it anymore

still

a bit hasty dropping him just yet

I like the side apart from that.......particularly the forwards. Shillington went well this series, I can see the merits in starting with him over Hannant. Probably more so Hannants impact when he comes on from the bench than anything else

also in favour of Parker over Harrison. Ash's days are over are far as I'm concerned

and I was enthused more so by Teo than Gillett in game 3. Hard to say what's happened with Gillett. His SOO form was mirrored by his Brisbane form.

Not much doing......

Last but not least..... Dave Taylor. Bitterly disappointed with him after game 2.........but hate to write him off. His form will be the key.

If not him

someone else?

Not keen on going back to Harrison.....Gillett I suppose, if he regains what we all thought we saw in him

No to Lillyman.....no to Dallas Johnson

Do we have other backrowers to chose from.......any young blood out there? Who's the next Myles or Thaiday?

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Te'o
15. Ben Hannant
16. Josh McGuire
17. Dave Taylor

Do we have other backrowers to chose from.......any young blood out there? Who's the next Myles or Thaiday?

Chris McQueen. hes had a fantastic season and is just as comfortable on the wing or centre as in the back row.

Jayson Bukuya & Gavin Cooper are two other prospects I like the look of.

McQueen will be very very close to the team come May next year he is having an enormous season in the backrow!

McQueen will be very very close to the team come May next year he is having an enormous season in the backrow!

Agreed McQueen is having a great season.....backrow, wing, centre, fullback

His versatility would be a huge plus.

He's from Beenleigh? Explains that rat tail.

well eagleby, which explains it even more, but he went to Beenleigh High. I went round his house and played Mario Kart with him and his brother (who was in my grade) one afternoon lol.

Last edited:
Do you need some help picking up that name you just dropped AP?

no im good, since it wasnt really name dropping. we were talking about Chris McQueen and i mentioned that I went to school with him. if we were talking about something unrelated and i brought up that i went to school with Chris McQueen then sure, that would be name dropping. thats not what happened though.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.