Q-CUP Queensland Cup 2023

Mozer 33 tackles which is pretty high for 40 minutes and first time starting. He made his tackles and handled it.

So sounds like he did his job and didn't overplay his hand in his first start?

@1910 I’m a bit curious / confused regarding Karl Oloapu’s seemingly rapid ascension to NSW Cup with the Bulldogs .. if he was still in Queensland right now would you have expected him to be starting at five eighth in ISC ?

Given the way Blake Mozer and some of the other young broncos are exposed a little more cautiously to Qld Cup, I’m just a bit confused as to why Oloapu is straight in there at 18 years of age with the Bulldogs?
Is it simply due to the different positions they play and the physical demands of each ?

@1910 I’m a bit curious / confused regarding Karl Oloapu’s seemingly rapid ascension to NSW Cup with the Bulldogs .. if he was still in Queensland right now would you have expected him to be starting at five eighth in ISC ?

Given the way Blake Mozer and some of the other young broncos are exposed a little more cautiously to Qld Cup, I’m just a bit confused as to why Oloapu is straight in there at 18 years of age with the Bulldogs?
Is it simply due to the different positions they play and the physical demands of each ?

Yeah I think he'd be playing Cup if he was here. Norths last night had Donovan and Madden.

He could easily replace Donvan and then you have your future Broncos' halves playing together.

He may have started in Colts last night, but he'd get a run in a few weeks.

Mozer and Mariner were playing Cup not too long after finishing Meninga and Karl finished Meninga last season.

Yeah I said solid- gave good service and tackled. That’s his core business.
I noticed he has been credited with 2 x try assists. One you said was turning te kura inside to crash over. How did the other unfold?

I noticed he has been credited with 2 x try assists. One you said was turning te kura inside to crash over. How did the other unfold?

Eggerling can be the only other one. He threw the pass to Eggerling to burrow over- try assists from 9 are very dodgy- throw the pass and someone pushes off three and scores and you get a try assist.

The Te Kura try he went to the left and then turned it back to the right for a human wrecking ball to push off three and score.

I don't consider either try assists.

@1910

Radean Robinson. Any good or he is just a desperation signing to make sure they have someone half decent?

My biggest wrap on Piakura has always been his tackling- not defence. His tackling is low and classic like Clyde when he gets it right.

Yeah I think he'd be playing Cup if he was here. Norths last night had Donovan and Madden.

He could easily replace Donvan and then you have your future Broncos' halves playing together.

He may have started in Colts last night, but he'd get a run in a few weeks.

Mozer and Mariner were playing Cup not too long after finishing Meninga and Karl finished Meninga last season.

Did you just imply that Jock Madden is the future Halfback of the Brisbane Broncos?

Like.. he's fine.. I guess, but I really don't think he's that guy.

I view him as a Sam Scarlett type player. Very reliable game manager that you can call upon if need be, but he's destined to be a good playmaker in QCUP / NSWCUP for the majority of his career, in my opinion.

Did you just imply that Jock Madden is the future Halfback of the Brisbane Broncos?

I view him as a Sam Scarlett type player. Very reliable game manager that you can call upon if need be, but he's destined to be a good playmaker in QCUP / NSWCUP for the majority of his career, in my opinion.

Who would you prefer? Looking a few years into the future we'll have Walsh/Mam/Mozer, potentially an exceptional trio. We don't need a superstar #7 as well, these guys will all demand hefty coin. We just need a guy who can push the team around and let the above do their thing. I see no reason Madden can't be that guy?

Who would you prefer? Looking a few years into the future we'll have Walsh/Mam/Mozer, potentially an exceptional trio. We don't need a superstar #7 as well, these guys will all demand hefty coin. We just need a guy who can push the team around and let the above do their thing. I see no reason Madden can't be that guy?

Agreed. We basically just need someone who has a long boot, that's the minimum selection criteria. The other three have enough x-factor to get it done.

Agreed. We basically just need someone who has a long boot, that's the minimum selection criteria. The other three have enough x-factor to get it done.

I would set my sights a little higher than a journeyman Cup player, which is the way his career is heading, but each to their own I suppose.

I would set my sights a little higher than a journeyman Cup player, which is the way his career is heading, but each to their own I suppose.

I don’t disagree with your sentiment but the reality is that we have a salary cap. We can’t put superstars into every position like the Roosters can. I think if you’ve got a guy who can do basic organisation and kick long, that is what is needed when you have Walsh and Mam who can light it up in every other aspect. Mozer looks to be a star in the making and so he really is the unknown in all of this.

Basically, if we spend a million plus on a halfback, we have to lose someone somewhere else.

A journeyman cup player just happens to be our last premiership halfback

That wasn't really the point, I was just indicating where and why I think Karl would have stayed at Norths and played ISC.

He's only played one game and I thought he went pretty well for a new team.

Basically, if we spend a million plus on a halfback, we have to lose someone somewhere else.

Definitely didn't say we need to do that.. but we'll need to find someone better than Madden, I'm quite sure of it.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.