Queenslanders' passion for sport

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Queenslander's passion for sport

Proud citizen of the great nation of Queensland.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

pennywisealfie said:
Proud citizen of the great nation of Queensland.
+1

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008

Don't know what it is like in QLD but a significant reason why Sydney has less crowds and that is the 'social' factor. It's true what Rock said - Sydney people do like to do other shite on the weekend than go to "every" game they can go to... Families might but the 20-30s ish crowd definitely are not going to go to every game. Furthermore, Sydney doesn't really allow you to go to the footy then hit the city unless you want to go to the footy dressed like an idiot... which is a big reason why if your team has the fri/sat night game... you usually watch it with some mates at the local then head out or a friend's house etc. Sydney has a huuuuge tv league culture from what I can see.

Been sayin it for yonks but if you want crowds in Sydney you have to go for the day games... you will get the families and you will get the young'uns as well...

Lastly on origin - I won't question the players... but there is no DOUBT QLD fans care more about Origin than NSW fans - GENERALLY speaking. I can vouch for this and even Rock can't deny this. NSW fans don't care as much about it - not the ONLY reason why ANZ doesn't sell out but it's a factor.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Oh man, this thread has turned into gray matter killing stuff. I wish I could ask for restitution of my time... [eusa_doh

Uh Prof, the Broncos have the highest amount of Fri night / Sat night / Mon night games of the NRL, and still consistently pull the highest crowd numbers. Oh right, I know... 1 team 1 city blah blah. :roll:

I love my outings with friends or family, but unless I'm tied up (which I've been this season with my son playing most of his games at the same time as the Broncs), I plan them in a way they don't clash with the Broncos games that I can attend. Well, at least that's what I would expect from a supporter, but I guess that's too much to ask from NSW'kers, as it would require a functioning brain... [icon_shru

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008

The Rock said:
Why did Brisbane only draw 32,000 to a DOUBLE HEADER?

Just to put it into perspective for you - Canterbury Vs St George the other week pulled 34322 at ANZ. No double header, just 2 Sydney teams.

Did 60,000 fans turn up to a game 2 days before that one?

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Scotty said:
Origin - Queensland are about as strong as they have ever been in their history, we have just won 5 in a row and will probably make it 6 this season, 'nuff said. Origin always attracts non league fans to the sporting fold as well.

Im sure this has been brought up, but ffs this is stupid. QLD sells out all origin matches, no matter how good or bad the team is performing. The sales this year are no reflection on the team's success, just that QLDers will always love origin!

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:
Origin - Queensland are about as strong as they have ever been in their history, we have just won 5 in a row and will probably make it 6 this season, 'nuff said. Origin always attracts non league fans to the sporting fold as well.

Im sure this has been brought up, but ffs this is stupid. QLD sells out all origin matches, no matter how good or bad the team is performing. The sales this year are no reflection on the team's success, just that QLDers will always love origin!

How is it stupid when we don't know how our own fans would deal with losing 5 series in a row? There are always going to be die hards like yourself that will keep going no matter what, but the fact is we just don't know if we would lose crowd numbers after so many years of shitness.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Queenslander's passion for sport

The Rock said:
That's rubbish - There were FOUR teams playing on the Friday night. 4. I can't believe 4 sets of fan bases could only draw 32,000. Especially considering how chockers Broncos and Titans games are at Suncorp. The Bulldogs are big drawers at Suncorp too!

Should have sold out, end of story.

Two of the teams kicked off at around 9pm and would've finished just shy of 11pm. So 9pm kickoff on a working day, followed by a 100km trip home for Titans fans. Light or no drinking if you're driving and an hour plus long train trip on a crowded train if you are.

The crowd halved after the Broncos game last time I went, it's a tough ask to have a double header on a working day.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:

How is it stupid when we don't know how our own fans would deal with losing 5 series in a row? There are always going to be die hards like yourself that will keep going no matter what, but the fact is we just don't know if we would lose crowd numbers after so many years of shitness.

But 5 years ago it was still the same crowds down south, even when they hadn't lost 5 in a row.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Nashy said:
Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:

But 5 years ago it was still the same crowds down south, even when they hadn't lost 5 in a row.

Was it? [eusa_eh I thought they were selling out at that point?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Scotty said:
Nashy said:
Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:

Was it? [eusa_eh I thought they were selling out at that point?

That is the point, they never sell out.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:

We havent lost 5 in a row, but we have been through some slim years and lang park never failed to sell out

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:

We havent lost 5 in a row, but we have been through some slim years and lang park never failed to sell out

Bingo. 2005, facing our third series defeat, 2 games in Brisbane, both sold out in a matter of hours.
2006, facing our 4th series defeat in a row, game in Brisbane sold out in an hour.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

And we've had some s**t teams too.

Who remembers the days when we had to play Flannery at five eigth because we had no other options?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

You were still 2K short of a sell-out, the last sell-out was in 2005.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

And definition of a sell out is NO TICKETS AVAILABLE AT THE GATE.

Was that the case in 2005? 2009? I doubt it.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

And that doesn't mean giving away two tickets for one deals.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008

The nightlife is shit in Sydney now. I can only imagine how shit it was back when they actually sold origin matches out.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrMoore
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.