The Dolphins discussion

You mean premiership winner Kurt Capewell? What would he know about winning.. 🤔

Probably not as much as Jesse Bromwich, but in the scheme of things we needed a back rower a bit more.

Probably not as much as Jesse Bromwich, but in the scheme of things we needed a back rower a bit more.

Kurt seems to be very mature and a good role model off the field who has openly learned from past mistakes. Jesse is coming from a club with a seeming drug and alcohol problem of which he has seemingly been a part. This sort of influence is not needed by a club full of impressionable kids.

I’ll take Kurt thanks.

He's doing exactly what he did at the Broncos, older experienced guys to get you through and learn success the first two years and then success with the players under that later on.

When you look at the Broncos first premiership Bennett already had the plan.

O'Neill- played Colts 90
Hancock-88
Johns-88
Renouf-88- Colts at Souths but with Broncos
Carne-89 Colts
Walters-90
Langer 88
Lazarus- 92
Walters-88- Reserve grade v Manly
Allen-89
Gillmeister-90
Cann-88- Colts with Easts but with Broncos.
Matterson-88

Currie-89
Hohn-88
Plath-88- Colts with Wynnum but with Broncos.
Gee-88

10 there from 88 is pretty brilliant club building. Just got to get that layer underneath right because Bennett won't be there to see it through.
I think it's the right strategy but very short sighted, given there's a few big differences.....
1. This isn't 1988
2. Salary cap
3. Wally Lewis and gene miles, among others, vs jesse bromwich and felise kafusi (haha)
4. Their experienced players seem to be even older then that lot by the time they play
5. Again, salary cap. They have to fill quality players around them if they do get too old and form falls off a cliff in a year or 2....
6. When all the experienced players retire so will Bennett. Hello Newcastle knights. He filled the roster the same way there.

Dolphins will surprise a lot 1st year. I believe they'll be top 8 easily actually, as long as they sign a half decent spine. They will remain decent for years 2 and 3 with Bennett's aura still around, but once he steps aside and 1/2 their squad leaves or plays on 1 or 2 years too long at the same time they will be bottom 2-3 every year for a few years running. They need to stand up to Bennett like souffs did and make sure his recruitment strategy is not ENTIRELY based around the time he is there. Maybe they are doing that, but little evidence of it so far. They need some QUALITY 24-27 year olds (still a year away till they play) to carry the torch

Kurt seems to be very mature and a good role model off the field who has openly learned from past mistakes. Jesse is coming from a club with a seeming drug and alcohol problem of which he has seemingly been a part. This sort of influence is not needed by a club full of impressionable kids.

I’ll take Kurt thanks.

Penrith havent exactly got a great track record as a club in recent years when you look at some of the rubbish they have got up to. Plenty of grubs there as well if we are being honest about things. You only have to look at Tyrone May and how they backed him as a playing group. Storm wouldnt be the only club to have players taking drugs and having a drink either.

I'd say Bromwich has learned from his mistakes as well tbf to him.

I think it's the right strategy but very short sighted, given there's a few big differences.....
1. This isn't 1988
2. Salary cap
3. Wally Lewis and gene miles, among others, vs jesse bromwich and felise kafusi (haha)
4. Their experienced players seem to be even older then that lot by the time they play
5. Again, salary cap. They have to fill quality players around them if they do get too old and form falls off a cliff in a year or 2....
6. When all the experienced players retire so will Bennett. Hello Newcastle knights. He filled the roster the same way there.

Dolphins will surprise a lot 1st year. I believe they'll be top 8 easily actually, as long as they sign a half decent spine. They will remain decent for years 2 and 3 with Bennett's aura still around, but once he steps aside and 1/2 their squad leaves or plays on 1 or 2 years too long at the same time they will be bottom 2-3 every year for a few years running. They need to stand up to Bennett like souffs did and make sure his recruitment strategy is not ENTIRELY based around the time he is there. Maybe they are doing that, but little evidence of it so far. They need some QUALITY 24-27 year olds (still a year away till they play) to carry the torch

Bennett is more than likely still going to be around in a different role after his first 2 or 3 years from what i hear. I think he knows he needs to approach the Phins role differently as its building a club up rather than trying to get a club to win a premiership in his time there.

Still think people were a bit harsh on Wayne over Newcastle. While he clearly made some errors there, i reckon a lot of their issues came from Tinkler and his failed promises.

Bennett is more than likely still going to be around in a different role after his first 2 or 3 years from what i hear. I think he knows he needs to approach the Phins role differently as its building a club up rather than trying to get a club to win a premiership in his time there.

Still think people were a bit harsh on Wayne over Newcastle. While he clearly made some errors there, i reckon a lot of their issues came from Tinkler and his failed promises.
Tinkler had a lot to do with it, for sure. Rot starts at the top. But it's obvious Bennett had more control of that side and roster then just about every other coach in the nrl had of theirs.
He wants success while he is there and that's fair enough. But clubs need to protect themselves against the inevitable issues after he's gone.
If Redcliffe think that they can copy a model used in the late 80s and it will have similar results they are kidding themselves.
Bennett is the master coach, but let's not forget he hasn't won a premiership since 2010. That's 12 bloody years! So if they think that long term planning will be sacrificed for a quick premiership they are in for a shock... they don't want to come out of Bennett's stint with 6 or 7 35 year olds and no premiership.

I'm sure he will still be I involved after. That'd uncharted territory for Bennett and any nrl club. Will he be able to keep out of the day to day running, will the club cope with the speculation if they start losing, will it delay the inevitable loss of Bennett and make it worse? Who knows, they shouldn't depend on that with their recruitment "no worries if we have an ageing roster, Bennett will still be around to help".... because his input should be far, far less into the team or its a recipe for disaster with the next coach, it'd be career suicide for any coach...

1. This isn't 1988
2. Salary cap

You're right.....Redcliffe are following a sensible and WB like strategy.....but as you say, the experienced players they are buying dont exactly compare to the likes of Gene Miles, Greg Dowling....Colin Scott etc etc...(maybe Bromwich could compare to GD?)

Different times.......

I don't think WB would be letting anyone involved with the Redcliffe club get too far ahead of themselves and be expecting immediate success. I reckon if they can sit in the top 8 for the first 5yrs...they'd be doing really really well......

Does anyone know when Milford will face court to have his story play out?

Tinkler had a lot to do with it, for sure. Rot starts at the top. But it's obvious Bennett had more control of that side and roster then just about every other coach in the nrl had of theirs.
He wants success while he is there and that's fair enough. But clubs need to protect themselves against the inevitable issues after he's gone.
If Redcliffe think that they can copy a model used in the late 80s and it will have similar results they are kidding themselves.
Bennett is the master coach, but let's not forget he hasn't won a premiership since 2010. That's 12 bloody years! So if they think that long term planning will be sacrificed for a quick premiership they are in for a shock... they don't want to come out of Bennett's stint with 6 or 7 35 year olds and no premiership.

I'm sure he will still be I involved after. That'd uncharted territory for Bennett and any nrl club. Will he be able to keep out of the day to day running, will the club cope with the speculation if they start losing, will it delay the inevitable loss of Bennett and make it worse? Who knows, they shouldn't depend on that with their recruitment "no worries if we have an ageing roster, Bennett will still be around to help".... because his input should be far, far less into the team or its a recipe for disaster with the next coach, it'd be career suicide for any coach...

Could be my memory playing tricks on me here, but i have this recollection of reading something where they were given a couple of paths to go down at Newcastle and one of them was them going with a short term plan of signing players who would get them challenging in Waynes first couple of years and that was Tinklers preference. Could be wrong about that, i could have a look but i dont think i can be bothered today!

I reckon if they start to plan now at the Dolphins for Wayne leaving i think it will work out fine. I believe Wayne will want to possibly take a step back and be less involved with the day to day running so i would expect after his first year they will be preparing his successor. I dont think he ever went there to win a premiership in his time as coach but who knows with Wayne. If they do well and he is still feeling good they may get 5 years out of him. Tbf to Wayne, he is generally pretty good with the younger guys so if he can keep his nose out what the coach is doing and just help with recruitment and such, it could work out well.

Could be my memory playing tricks on me here, but i have this recollection of reading something where they were given a couple of paths to go down at Newcastle and one of them was them going with a short term plan of signing players who would get them challenging in Waynes first couple of years and that was Tinklers preference. Could be wrong about that, i could have a look but i dont think i can be bothered today!

I reckon if they start to plan now at the Dolphins for Wayne leaving i think it will work out fine. I believe Wayne will want to possibly take a step back and be less involved with the day to day running so i would expect after his first year they will be preparing his successor. I dont think he ever went there to win a premiership in his time as coach but who knows with Wayne. If they do well and he is still feeling good they may get 5 years out of him. Tbf to Wayne, he is generally pretty good with the younger guys so if he can keep his nose out what the coach is doing and just help with recruitment and such, it could work out well.
Wayne apparently had bonuses in his deal based on where the knights finished.

Wayne apparently had bonuses in his deal based on where the knights finished.

I can certainly remember there was a really good write up about what when on there when Tinkler owned it. Maybe i'll have a look and see if i can find it at some point.

Bennett on Milford:

"Yes, I would love to sign Anthony, he is one of the most gifted players I have coached. He played some wonderful football for the Broncos in that period when we made the grand final in 2015 and if he is available pending the NRL’s decision, I would love to have him at the Dolphins for our first season.”

“He is only 27 years old, he has played almost 200 games, so his best football is ahead of him. He went through a contrast from being in a grand final to being at a club that won the wooden spoon. There is more maturity in his game now. There’s no doubt Anthony has lost his confidence over the last few years, but I’m confident I can help Anthony turn things around."

Demetriou:

“I want Anthony to come and play for South Sydney. Up until the charges were made, he was on his way here. We signed him because I know what he is capable of from my time at the Broncos. At the moment, my main concern is about Anthony’s welfare, as a friend I want him to be able to clear his name. It’s disappointing we’re in this position and hopefully we can have it resolved in the next few weeks."

“We’re waiting on clarity from the NRL on where the matter sits and hopefully ‘Milf’ can clear his name. I’m keen to have Anthony here this year, but if it doesn’t work out, it’s next man up and we have some talented young kids who can step up and do the job.”

McHunt

Peas and corn these 2. I can’t wait to see what tripe Demetriou serves up next season.

I'm actually very interested to see how he goes. He's served a long but very productive apprenticeship, pretty much achieved everything he can outside of being an NRL head coach. If he isnt ready for it now at a club like Souths he never will be.

Interesting to read that south’s still want him. What happened to the Newcastle thing?

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • mrslong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • davidp
  • Aldo
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • Horseheadsup
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.