"Restructuring"

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Basically our main problem has been abysmal player recruitment and retention for the last ten years . You just can't blame the current lot although they must share the blame , especially for starting season 2014 without recognized 5/8 . I seem to remember White proudly boasting that there was no need to look for players outside of Qld as that would be disloyal to our fan base and feeder clubs. How amateurish can you get? Also I remember White completely rejecting the possibility of recruiting James O'Conner when he was without a home last year when we had zero in the 5/8 department . Why? I don't know if he was ever a possibility of coming over , but I think he cold have been our answer. I hope they do "restructure" but with defined aims in mind which I hope includes putting together an truly attacking back lin and giving the fans a more exciting brand of footy. FFS the 20 to 30 thousand fans who turn out at Suncorp surly deserve more then they are getting.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Shane Webcke retired in 2006, Civo came back but was well past his best
It is now 2014 and we have never had a real replacement for them.....

Darren Lockyer has been gone since the end of 2011 but we knew that was coming up for a couple of years beforehand
It is now 2014 and we have a wannabe fullback who is too full of himself to realise that his best position is wing playing 5/8....

How the F%$# did we get here????

Great post. I think the club is guilty of over thinking things and being too "fancy" with the rule changes, particularly in regards to the forwards.

Does any club use props and back rowers interchangeably like Brisbane does? Look at the way Parker and Thaiday have been treated. Do people think Scott and Tamou would be moved to the backrow? Would Ryan Hoffman play prop? I don't think so. I can't see the sense in weakening one position to strengthen another. Yes, the changes to the ruck rules and the speed of the game have changed but other clubs aren't shifting world class players from their preferred position.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Great post. I think the club is guilty of over thinking things and being too "fancy" with the rule changes, particularly in regards to the forwards.

Does any club use props and back rowers interchangeably like Brisbane does? Look at the way Parker and Thaiday have been treated. Do people think Scott and Tamou would be moved to the backrow? Would Ryan Hoffman play prop? I don't think so. I can't see the sense in weakening one position to strengthen another. Yes, the changes to the ruck rules and the speed of the game have changed but other clubs aren't shifting world class players from their preferred position.

Matulino's been killing it in the back row. Myles has been out of position for 18 months now. But I see your point. These shifts aren't an every-second-week prospect, they're normally for extended periods.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
The dragons fans seem to be getting pro active with their dissatisfaction of the coach and administration. check the moles twitter for his retweet of some of the photos. Wish some of the group who live in brisbane would do the same.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I sent my email to Paul White but I guess it's in his junk bin cause I didn't get a response. I just voiced my disapproval of Mr Griifin.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Can't wait to piss Hoffman off. What a delusional turd. Go tell Yow Yeh you are too good to play on the wing. Selfish prick.

Well said. A bit of an about face on what you were saying 6 months ago but .....good sentiments none the less.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Serious movements going on here. Perhaps White is picking up the broom and getting to work before he himself becomes apart of the junk that's being swept away. Griffin will be lucky to see out the season, I would've thought.

As for Gee, the man has obviously contributed a lot to our club throughout his life, and we should remain forever grateful for that. However, as a recruiter, he was utterly hopeless, and I am honestly very relieved to see the back of him.

It's obvious the club needs a new direction. The post Lockyer era so far has been as abysmal as all feared it would be, but perhaps the man himself will once again be the one to lead us to the promised land. When it comes to having a figurehead who inspires awe and respect and has that pull with superstar players that the club used to have during its fairytale years, I can't think of a better man for that role than Darren Lockyer. We've already seen it in action with Milford.

You are 100% correct, gee gee was a poor judge when it came to recruitment..

I regards to peter nolan, well lets just say he has been given free reign and the tress are being shook everyday. There are a lot of nervous boys who have been protected in the past, especially the recruitment and development team... They are on tender hooks and are all jockeying at the moment to sure up there roles within the club... Let the back stabbing begin.........

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013
You are 100% correct, gee gee was a poor judge when it came to recruitment..

I regards to peter nolan, well lets just say he has been given free reign and the tress are being shook everyday. There are a lot of nervous boys who have been protected in the past, especially the recruitment and development team... They are on tender hooks and are all jockeying at the moment to sure up there roles within the club... Let the back stabbing begin.........

If they are men and real sportsman they all know its a team game and it takes more then 17 players to win a premiership. What pisses me off is I think some of these young guys like money more then success. Grow up and play within a group.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
If they are men and real sportsman they all know its a team game and it takes more then 17 players to win a premiership. What ****es me off is I think some of these young guys like money more then success. Grow up and play within a group.

100%. There was an article a few weeks back that Robert Craddock wrote. He was talking to a cricket player about how, if given the choice, would a professional athlete take a good individual performance over a team one. The player said most won't admit it but the answer is yes.

A similar argument can be made with rugby league. I do get the feeling sometimes players are more worried about their stats than getting the win. Look at the one-dimensional play. Is it purely the result of our game plan, or "Griffinball" as some here like to call it. I don't know. Maybe the players think it's more important to take the hit up and up their stat count rather than look left or right and find an opportunity.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Wish I got 227K a year to systematically destroy a well run and successful organization from the inside out.

I do it for lot less at the moment.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Sometimes though, if all players in the team play well personally then the team performance is brilliant. The truth is most people play their chosen sport for themselves, it's the same motivation they had from the beginning. When a little kid starts playing they play because they enjoy it and truly play for themselves generally having little appreciation or sense of a 'team' performance. I think you have to serve both masters, self and team.

The motivation for sportspeople involved in singular participation sports is absolutely about personal performance but the desire to perform when part of a team, for example Davis Cup, goes through the roof. Along with it comes the real fear of letting down others. If you fail alone then that failure is bearable but when you fail and let down your team then the sick feeling is much magnified.

A world champion from the eighties once said, if you can play as though it means nothing, when it means everything then you free yourself to perform. In no way do I think you would play any team sport solely for yourself but when you are pleased with your own performance you generally have served the teams best interests.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Ben Ikin let slip on NRL360 that the Broncos see anything other than a top 4 spot this season as a failure, and changes will occur as a result of that.

It must be a certainty that Hook won't be here next year if that's the case.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Ben Ikin let slip on NRL360 that the Broncos see anything other than a top 4 spot this season as a failure, and changes will occur as a result of that.

It must be a certainty that Hook won't be here next year if that's the case.
I'm sure I've read this before (about the top four). Might have been a Paul White interview.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • rnabokov
  • Brocko
  • something
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.