Round 1 2014

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Interesting that Thaiday's form is better during Origin. Maybe it's because he's used correctly.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Thaiday's form in Origin is overrated. He had a good 20 minutes running at Maloney, everything else was fairly ordinary.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Yow Yeh
5. Kahu
6. Hunt
7. DCE
8. Kennedy
9. Macca
10. Dodds
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillet
15. Hannant
16. McGuire
17. Reed

That ought to give us some thrust off the bench. Ideal for me would to be swap Gillet and Thaiday, having Thaiday and Glenn as joint captains

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Ever since Thaiday was diagnosed with osteitis pubis, he hasn't been the same player. At his best, he was hands down the best backrow in the game and had everything you'd want out of an edge runner. The question is, will he ever reach that level again. The best way to judge that is to examine other cases and from what I'm aware of there are only two in the NRL - Lachlan Coote & Joel Thompson. Both are relatively young players who displayed considerable potential in their formative years but have yet to fulfill it as time has gone on. Sam is obviously a different case as he's competed on much grander stages but his decline has mirrored theirs. He's signed until 2015, so I can't see the club releasing him unless it's under extradinary circumstances. They do have the option to stand him down as captain. Right now, his chances aren't looking good, when the club really needed him to perform he wilted and they cannot afford another poor season. The problem is, who do you replace him with? One of the justifications for not picking Parker was due to his age and he hasn't gotten any younger so who does that leave? Alex Glenn? He seems like the likely prospect and will be 26 next year - just hitting his prime but his 2013 has created some doubt.

I don't think Hook should compromise either. I believe if he goes down the co-captain route it will just create tension. It has to be all in or not at all in my opinion.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Ever since Thaiday was diagnosed with osteitis pubis, he hasn't been the same player. At his best, he was hands down the best backrow in the game and had everything you'd want out of an edge runner. The question is, will he ever reach that level again. The best way to judge that is to examine other cases and from what I'm aware of there are only two in the NRL - Lachlan Coote & Joel Thompson. Both are relatively young players who displayed considerable potential in their formative years but have yet to fulfill it as time has gone on. Sam is obviously a different case as he's competed on much grander stages but his decline has mirrored theirs. He's signed until 2015, so I can't see the club releasing him unless it's under extradinary circumstances. They do have the option to stand him down as captain. Right now, his chances aren't looking good, when the club really needed him to perform he wilted and they cannot afford another poor season. The problem is, who do you replace him with? One of the justifications for not picking Parker was due to his age and he hasn't gotten any younger so who does that leave? Alex Glenn? He seems like the likely prospect and will be 26 next year - just hitting his prime but his 2013 has created some doubt.

I don't think Hook should compromise either. I believe if he goes down the co-captain route it will just create tension. It has to be all in or not at all in my opinion.
That is a fair point. I was trying to be diplomatic
we could just give it to DCE but it may cause instability in the playing group as Glenn is obviously leader of the young guys

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
That is a fair point. I was trying to be diplomatic
we could just give it to DCE but it may cause instability in the playing group as Glenn is obviously leader of the young guys

Hopefully Glenn would be able to handle it as well as Parker has.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Hopefully Glenn would be able to handle it as well as Parker has.
The only problem I see is bringing a player straight in and making him captain, could cause animosity. May have to leave it with Thaiday for another season and then change

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

I've never heard of that before what is it?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I believe there is some separation in that area.

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
The only problem I see is bringing a player straight in and making him captain, could cause animosity. May have to leave it with Thaiday for another season and then change

The Panthers made Petero captain as soon as he joined them. They did have the wooden spoon though, so they probably needed much better leadership.

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
1. Barba
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Hoffman
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
Interchange
14. Milford
15. Glenn
16. Kennedy
Tasi

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Hodges won't be there for Round 1

Also, Oates is not a Winger, Tasi is going to another club, Gillet plays 12, Thaiday plays 11 and Mildord is on the bench... Sorry, just calling it as I see it...

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • Bish
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.