Round 1 2014

Personally, I don't see the problem with Hoffman at 5/8. If you look around the league, a lot of the good 5/8's are primarily running players, which is by far the best part of Hoffman's game. Maloney, Foran, Reynolds, Sutton... All running 5/8's. I would argue that Hoffman has at least an equal running game to all of those players.

Thoughts?

I've just read this back and realised my revised bench rotation only consists of 1 prop. This could be a problem...

Those players you mentioned still have a passing and kicking game though, and the ability to put a player through a gap, they don't just catch the ball and run.

I can almost cop Hoffman playing 6 because we have no other option (even though i still think it is the wrong option) but for people to think he will do well in the position, i just dont see it.

I think rna has a point. You play Barba in fullback because that's our best player there and I think it's the most important position these days. Then you can blood a new guy or even give Kahu a chance there. It definitely cannot be worse than Wallace/Norman or Wallace/Prince or Wallace/Anyone.

Where did this idea of kahu as a half cone from. Has he ever played. Did he have success? Imo the best argument for parker as capt comes from looking at his tackles. He gets away with ridiculous amounts and that's what you need from your captain the referees respect. Despite being imo the most disciplined team in the comp we get harshly penalized a lot. That can only be put on the captain.

**** me, kahu has done little on the wing, what makes people think he's going to go alright at 6? based on what? if we're going to go down the path of putting a no name in the six (because let's face it, kahu has done pretty much zero so far), i'd rather one of our young halves in TC, or whoever this strasser kid is (that concerns me that 1) i don't know who he is and 2) a lot of people are pushing for him, is this how far we've fallen, that any new name that pops up is the saviour?)

I will cry if the club plays Barba or Hoffman at 5/8. Hoffman can't pass and is one of the best wingers in the comp. Play him there. Barba is exactly what we need at fullback and will bring another dimension to our attack with his kick returns, support play and as part of the second man play. At 5/8 he will be stream rolled by every second rower in the comp.

Barba at 1, Hoffman at 2. If that means blooding a youngster at 5/8 and buying someone for 2015 then so be it.

Last edited:
Geez Renegade and corey88, getting a bit carried away there. Don't get so aggressive with your responses. I said blood a young guy first and if that doesn't work out give Kahu a try who was before injuries being talked about as a half. I wouldn't say he has done zero, he has shown some promise this year. Why do you think they persisted with him for so long after two injuries taking him out for a year? No-one is calling any of these guys our saviours, where the hell did you get that from? I think most are saying is that if we do not get anyone blood someone new rather than put hoffman or barba in there.

Why do you think they persisted with him for so long after two injuries taking him out for a year?

I'm not having a go at Kahu but he was persisted with because he was contracted and we needed all the fit bodies we could get in our backline this year.

Geez Renegade and corey88, getting a bit carried away there. Don't get so aggressive with your responses. I said blood a young guy first and if that doesn't work out give Kahu a try who was before injuries being talked about as a half. I wouldn't say he has done zero, he has shown some promise this year. Why do you think they persisted with him for so long after two injuries taking him out for a year? No-one is calling any of these guys our saviours, where the hell did you get that from? I think most are saying is that if we do not get anyone blood someone new rather than put hoffman or barba in there.
If showing some promise is the criteria for a go at 6 them it must be Oates. lol

Don't take it personally.

So what if he was a half when he was younger? So was Hoffman. Do you think Hoffman in the halves is a good idea? Don't answer that question.

Kahu has played 10 games. Ten. In his first 10 games, Lachlan Maranta looked alright too. Look at how that's turned out, he's the biggest scapegoat since Steve Michaels. That's my point, Kahu really hasn't done much at all. He looks alright on the wing, at the moment. Nothing more than that. He doesn't really have any defining qualities that makes him stick out - he's not overly quick, he's not overly strong, he has decent hands and seems to be ok at tackling. I don't really see how that shows promise, that imo should be the bare minimum for a winger in the NRL. If you disagree that's cool, we obviously just have differing levels of expectation and ability.

Corey Oates has shown more in his ten games than Kahu has, and he's a lot younger (though the latter has had injuries which may have prevented him from playing more NRL), and he's not even a winger.

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Jharal Yow Yeh
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Ben Hunt
7. Daly Cherry-Evans / Anthony Milford
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn -c-
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker -c-

14. Jake Granville
15. Martin Kennedy
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Corey Oates

Don't take it personally.

So what if he was a half when he was younger? So was Hoffman. Do you think Hoffman in the halves is a good idea? Don't answer that question.

Kahu has played 10 games. Ten. In his first 10 games, Lachlan Maranta looked alright too. Look at how that's turned out, he's the biggest scapegoat since Steve Michaels. That's my point, Kahu really hasn't done much at all. He looks alright on the wing, at the moment. Nothing more than that. He doesn't really have any defining qualities that makes him stick out - he's not overly quick, he's not overly strong, he has decent hands and seems to be ok at tackling. I don't really see how that shows promise, that imo should be the bare minimum for a winger in the NRL. If you disagree that's cool, we obviously just have differing levels of expectation and ability.

Corey Oates has shown more in his ten games than Kahu has, and he's a lot younger (though the latter has had injuries which may have prevented him from playing more NRL), and he's not even a winger.

So if none of the young guys pan out you would rather have Hoffman or Barba there? I would rather give Kahu a try before them. You don't weaken one position to potentially not even strengthen another. To be honest it was a suggestion, not a we must do it. You guys are getting carried away over a throw away comment.

I definitely do not want Barba moved away from fullback because he will be the best there and I definitely do not want Hoffman moved from wing because he is our best there. That leaves us with either one of the young guys to partner Hunt and if they don't work out then what are we left with? Kahu might go ok, just like any other option we would have left if none of the young guys are up to it.

Okay, I'm bored on the train home and the team I'd like to see run out is:

1 Barba
2 Hoffman
3 Reed
4 Oates
5 kahu ( YY perhaps )
6 Q- Cup experienced 5/8
7 Hunt
8 Kennedy
9 McCullough ( on a final warning )
10 Hannant
11 Gillett
12 Glenn
13 Parker

Bench: Granville , Thaiday ( on final warning ),McGuire and Tasi.

Naturally if I had a closer look during the trials and training I may change some around .This is of course the magic wand situation. I'd like to see what my( the Broncos ) options were particularly around the 5/8 position and how the many forwards Brisbane have on the books are performing and what attitude they have. I certainly would ask the players, Q cuppers included who would like to play 5/8 to gauge enthusiasm if nothing else. I figure that football is a lot like life insomuch that many blokes don't really mature till 25 and beyond. I'd like to think there is a guy out there playing for peanuts who could step up if given an opportunity and some support.

If we don't get any more halves I'd like to see strasser and the youngsters tried in the trials. Whoever goes best gets five games in the nrl to prove themselves. If that fails they're back to q or holden cup and we put Hoffman at fullback and barba at 6. Unless the youngsters prove to be decent that's our best team. I think barba will go alriggghhht at 6 and we know Hoffman won't let us down.

Did anyone watch Northern Pride v Easts last week? Why the hell did we pass up on Easts five eighth??? What a player he will be!!

Anywho, back to the argument about Kahu (and I'm not actively suggesting that he should get the go, I think Strasser should if we don't land Milford or DCE), how does what he showed on the wing even come into play as a five-eighth? Would Kieren Foran make a great winger? How about Johnathon Thurston? That argument is pointless.

And for the record, Kahu showed some good things just before he got injured again.

I don't understand how people can put Oates on the bench, especially with Thaiday there as well. I mean, who is he going to replace? Gillett? Glenn? Both are now proven 80 minute players that for mine (Gillett more than Glenn) really contributed to the good bits of our season.

I mean Thaiday on the bench is bad enough as I can't see the need to spell any of our back rowers, which means what, Thaiday is in the prop rotation?

My ideal bench would have 3 experienced props and a utility, even Granville.

In any case, it looks like we will have 4 (5 if Oates is there) back rowers, and so I can see our bench rotation as being an absolutely key issue in 2014, as important maybe as the starting 17 itself

If we managed to ditch Thaiday and replacement him with Oates that would be great. With Griffin's record of bench utilisation I think we are in for some serious problems next year. By the way can we please get an aussie dictionary installed on these forums? My spelling isn't great the best of times and when it underlines correct spelling it really puts me off :)

What puzzles me are the posters who wish to see Oates in the back row starting next season. I cannot understand putting a 19 year old who is blessed with some speed and agility in a position where the bulk of the work is carting the ball. For me it would be better to have him out wider and staying on the field for the whole game. I believe he is another scoring option and we seem to have plenty of others to do the grunt work.

Oates will certainly still be filling out more but till then he has to be given room to move.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Oates
5. Copley/Kahu
6. Taylor/Strasser/Milford
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Thaiday (c)
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. McGuire
16. Glenn
17. Stagg/Dodds/Tasi/Hala

Yes? No?

I think my very oirginal team I put together a few weeks ago for next season had Oates at Centre. I'd HATE for us to stifle his momentum next season by dropping him to Q-Cup or using him off the bench as a Second Rower. He is a genuine prospect. One which we should continue to develop at the highest level. He could be anything...

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.