Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Walters:

“I think Tesi will be unlikely for round one. At this stage, we don’t plan on having him as part of the group, so we will have to find someone else other than Tesi to play fullback against Souths."​
“Whether Selwyn stays there for round one is something I need to discuss in the next seven days. I will talk to our senior players and the coaching staff and see who our fullback will be if Tesi isn’t available. Jamayne Isaako has good experience at fullback, so we have some options if Tesi isn’t there for the early rounds of the competition."​
“Selwyn was very good at the back. He has a long way to go yet, the Cowboys were quite physical with him, that’s to be expected, it’s the NRL. Selwyn has only played six or seven NRL games and he is still learning. The fullback role is a key role, so we’ll make some decisions in the next 12 days before we face the Bunnies.”​
“I have always had a plan in my head who will fill those scrumbase positions. I’m not concerned about my halves. Walters, Kelly and Gamble are still in the mix. I will have a good discussion with my assistants John Cartwright and Terry Matterson, and Adam as our main playmaker to see who best suits him for round one."​
“A lot depends on how Alby recovers from Covid. We will see how badly he gets it and whether we can get him back training well in time for round one.”​
“There’s a mixture of a number of things we need to talk about. Kurt Capewell will be defending on that edge with the five-eighth and the centre, so we need to see who he is comfortable with."​
Reynolds:

“Selwyn is a special talent. He is a kid who is willing to put his body on the line each play and he doesn’t ask too many questions, he just gets in there, has a crack and runs the ball strongly from his own end. He will only get better as the year goes on.”​
“We call Alby the paramedic at training because he is always first on the scene backing up. He plays a bit like Cody Walker. Alby is very experienced, he has played NRL for a lot of years, he knows how to get around a footy field and he is a tough bugger, too, he likes to whack in defence and that is very important as a half."​
“Tyson, Billy and Alby are all unique, so whoever gets in there just has to play a simple role. I will be coming back and I will be taking as much heat off them as possible.”​
“Right across the board, we can get better. We need to get to certain points of the field and I feel I can help us achieve that. I’m excited for round one. I can’t wait to get my fingerprints all over the game plan. We were a little bit clunky, but that’s where I can step in as halfback and tidy the ship up.”​

simplythebest

simplythebest

NRL Player
May 22, 2014
Walters:

“I think Tesi will be unlikely for round one. At this stage, we don’t plan on having him as part of the group, so we will have to find someone else other than Tesi to play fullback against Souths."​
“Whether Selwyn stays there for round one is something I need to discuss in the next seven days. I will talk to our senior players and the coaching staff and see who our fullback will be if Tesi isn’t available. Jamayne Isaako has good experience at fullback, so we have some options if Tesi isn’t there for the early rounds of the competition."​
“Selwyn was very good at the back. He has a long way to go yet, the Cowboys were quite physical with him, that’s to be expected, it’s the NRL. Selwyn has only played six or seven NRL games and he is still learning. The fullback role is a key role, so we’ll make some decisions in the next 12 days before we face the Bunnies.”​
“I have always had a plan in my head who will fill those scrumbase positions. I’m not concerned about my halves. Walters, Kelly and Gamble are still in the mix. I will have a good discussion with my assistants John Cartwright and Terry Matterson, and Adam as our main playmaker to see who best suits him for round one."​
“A lot depends on how Alby recovers from Covid. We will see how badly he gets it and whether we can get him back training well in time for round one.”​
“We call Alby the paramedic at training because he is always first on the scene backing up,” Reynolds said. He plays a bit like Cody Walker. Alby is very experienced, he has played NRL for a lot of years, he knows how to get around a footy field and he is a tough bugger, too, he likes to whack in defence and that is very important as a half."​
“There’s a mixture of a number of things we need to talk about. Kurt Capewell will be defending on that edge with the five-eighth and the centre, so we need to see who he is comfortable with."​
Reynolds:

“Selwyn is a special talent. He is a kid who is willing to put his body on the line each play and he doesn’t ask too many questions, he just gets in there, has a crack and runs the ball strongly from his own end. He will only get better as the year goes on.”​
“Tyson, Billy and Alby are all unique, so whoever gets in there just has to play a simple role. I will be coming back and I will be taking as much heat off them as possible.”​
“Right across the board, we can get better. We need to get to certain points of the field and I feel I can help us achieve that. I’m excited for round one. I can’t wait to get my fingerprints all over the game plan. We were a little bit clunky, but that’s where I can step in as halfback and tidy the ship up.”​

From the sounds of that - Ezra isn't in the mix to start in round 1.

If Kelly has Covid, that will probably rule him out of round one due to not being able to train much over the next week at least.

This would put Gamble and Walters as the options. Depending on what happens with Turpin could help decide that as well.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yep sounds like Ezra needs to do more to graduate from being a Padawan yet. It does sound like Kelly is the preferred option.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I’d go with mam at 6 and cobbo at fb because they have the most upside. With Isaako and Kelly we know what we’re going to get.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Broncos by 30+

Dont Make Me Cut You Orange Is The New Black GIF

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
Yep sounds like Ezra needs to do more to graduate from being a Padawan yet. It does sound like Kelly is the preferred option.
Though is it possible that Mam's name wasn't mentioned due to him making that 5/8 spot. By not bringing Mam's name up can push the media to the side and alot less attention and stress that can be laid apon him.

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
Issako 1;
Kelly 6;
Reynolds 7;
Paid 9;
Hetherington 13.

Enough of the experiments. Kevin has the deer in the headlights thing going on.

If you want Cobbo as your fullback going forward, to the Qld cup to cut his teeth. Every team will slaughter his deficiencies. His confidence crippled, he'll sign with another club that can support his development; Sounds like Coates... Herbie is an unknown and therefore, not good enough for fullback. The trials were an embarrassment.

I didn't want razzle dazzle football. I wanted: communication, brick wall defence, grinding football. The kind of football that other teams implode because of frustration. It is the kind of football that isn't sexy, but it builds self esteem, and comradery.

I just saw a bunch of individuals, trying to show a coach that they have some kind of magic.

Write it off as a trial, but I saw all our problems of the last few years, staring straight back at us.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Though is it possible that Mam's name wasn't mentioned due to him making that 5/8 spot. By not bringing Mam's name up can push the media to the side and alot less attention and stress that can be laid apon him.

Would love this to be the case but I just don't think Kevvie is that media smart unfortunately.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Here's my team...

1. Isaako (Cobbo simply isn't ready)
2. Farnworth
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Oates / Pereira
6. Gamble
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Walters
15. James
16. Robati
17. Palasia

While I don't think Gamble is the best 6 at the club (I think Kelly or Walters are better), I think having him in the 6 jersey gives us the most balanced side, and here's why:

Paix should be the 9, but he is not an 80 minute hooker. That leaves us with the need for someone who can play 9 in the 14 jersey. This year HIA's will be more prevalent than ever. Last week the NRL gave independent doctors in the bunker the ability to rule a player out for the rest of the game through watching replays without even consulting the club doctor. That's a huge change which is going to see alot more players scratched and the need for a utility who can cover multiple positions is more important than ever. Gamble is the perfect utility (can cover nearly any position on the field, due to his skills and big frame), but he's not suited to playing 9.

If we went with Kelly or Walters at 6, we would either have to (a) use Gamble at 14 and bank on Paix becoming an 80 minute player, or (b) put Turpin / Walters on the bench - leaving us with limited options if we lose a player to injury or HIA.

By having Gamble in the 6, not only does it provide us with a big body in the defensive line, but it also provides us with the luxury of being able to move Gamble to cover any spot if we lose another player and Walters can slot into 6. If we lose no players, then Walters and Paix share hooking duties.

While Walters or Kelly at 6 might be the better 5/8 option, it really limits the team structure and our options at 14. Hooker is the most important position in the modern game and if you don't have an 80 minute player then it's essential you have 2 guys that can provide enough spark throughout the game to keep the team rolling. The only way we can tick the box of having 2 hookers AND sufficient player coverage for injury is by putting Gamble at 6.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Here's my team...

1. Isaako (Cobbo simply isn't ready)
2. Farnworth
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Oates / Pereira
6. Gamble
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Walters
15. James
16. Robati
17. Palasia

While I don't think Gamble is the best 6 at the club (I think Kelly or Walters are better), I think having him in the 6 jersey gives us the most balanced side, and here's why:

Paix should be the 9, but he is not an 80 minute hooker. That leaves us with the need for someone who can play 9 in the 14 jersey. This year HIA's will be more prevalent than ever. Last week the NRL gave independent doctors in the bunker the ability to rule a player out for the rest of the game through watching replays without even consulting the club doctor. That's a huge change which is going to see alot more players scratched and the need for a utility who can cover multiple positions is more important than ever. Gamble is the perfect utility (can cover nearly any position on the field, due to his skills and big frame), but he's not suited to playing 9.

If we went with Kelly or Walters at 6, we would either have to (a) use Gamble at 14 and bank on Paix becoming an 80 minute player, or (b) put Turpin / Walters on the bench - leaving us with limited options if we lose a player to injury or HIA.

By having Gamble in the 6, not only does it provide us with a big body in the defensive line, but it also provides us with the luxury of being able to move Gamble to cover any spot if we lose another player and Walters can slot into 6. If we lose no players, then Walters and Paix share hooking duties.

While Walters or Kelly at 6 might be the better 5/8 option, it really limits the team structure and our options at 14. Hooker is the most important position in the modern game and if you don't have an 80 minute player then it's essential you have 2 guys that can provide enough spark throughout the game to keep the team rolling. The only way we can tick the box of having 2 hookers AND sufficient player coverage for injury is by putting Gamble at 6.
I think I'm less convinced by Paix than everyone else. The thing we're lacking at 9 is a football brain, and unfortunately neither Paix nor Turpin have been demonstrating that at an elite level. In that regard, even Bubble-O is a step up, but gee you'd have to be generous to call him an elite hooker.

I can understand the argument that Paix is more willing to take on the line himself than Turpin, but I can also see Turpin's workrate is higher. Neither are ultimately what we want, and to be honest, I don't think Paix brings enough to warrant a bench position behind Turpin. And probably the reverse is also true.

I'm at the point of not giving a **** which way we go there. Paix is signed for longer so I suppose he has to stay in the picture, but I hope Mozer evolves sooner than later. Right now, our only immediate glimmer of hope rests with Adam Reynolds calling all the shots.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I think I'm less convinced by Paix than everyone else. The thing we're lacking at 9 is a football brain, and unfortunately neither Paix nor Turpin have been demonstrating that at an elite level. In that regard, even Bubble-O is a step up, but gee you'd have to be generous to call him an elite hooker.

I can understand the argument that Paix is more willing to take on the line himself than Turpin, but I can also see Turpin's workrate is higher. Neither are ultimately what we want, and to be honest, I don't think Paix brings enough to warrant a bench position behind Turpin. And probably the reverse is also true.

I'm at the point of not giving a **** which way we go there. Paix is signed for longer so I suppose he has to stay in the picture, but I hope Mozer evolves sooner than later. Right now, our only immediate glimmer of hope rests with Adam Reynolds calling all the shots.
I don't understand what everyone saw in the trials from Paix that says he needs to be 9. It's like half this forum only watch highlights, they see Paix with a nice scoot on their 3mins of footage and label him the answer.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't understand what everyone saw in the trials from Paix that says he needs to be 9. It's like half this forum only watch highlights, they see Paix with a nice scoot on their 3mins of footage and label him the answer.

Or you know, people might have watched it and formed their opinion on that. No one is saying he is necessarily the answer, what they are saying is he is a better option than Turpin and that is hard to argue.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Or you know, people might have watched it and formed their opinion on that. No one is saying he is necessarily the answer, what they are saying is he is a better option than Turpin and that is hard to argue.
From watching, what specifically did you see that made him a better option?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'm still not getting why people think Gamble can cover a lot of positions. He's only ever played in the halves. He's pretty much a 6 in all reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Tmac
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • Robboi_321
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.