Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will add a bit of heat. Dad took me out yesterday to get a new addition to my retro jersey collection as a birthday present and I choose the Manly one from 1996.

I presume from the highlighted quote above that you're using it as fuel for the fire place in winter?

This will add a bit of heat. Dad took me out yesterday to get a new addition to my retro jersey collection as a birthday present and I choose the Manly one from 1996.

Doesn't surprise me Bman.

Every NSWelshman has inside them what I like to call the "dickhead gene".........it seems as though yours has come out to play.

:tongue_smilie:

It won't be worn on Friday I can be sure of that

Why would you ever wear it?

Well the footy is almost back upon us again, about bloody time too!! Personally I like Norman, but I agree it's time he started showing more of the potential he has promised. I think Griffen had little option, anyone that saw the trail against the Warriors would have been concerned at our lack of penetration and creation of opportunities with so much ball and field possession in the first half. I went away from that game and wondered what they had been working on over the off season. Not much creativity around the ruck, little space was created for the outside men and very flat in attack,more of the same...
Basically I see with the team picked we have all of our play makers selected, Wallace, Prince, Norman and Hunt, what more could we ask? I think Prince will take a little while to settle into the team, but hopefully will get better as the season unfolds. IMO we lacked experience in the team and the addition of Stagg and Prince should go some way to address that. Manly always seems to find a way to get over the top of us so for a first game we will certainly be up against it. Still not sure who I'm going to pick just yet.

Not much creativity around the ruck, little space was created for the outside men and very flat in attack,more of the same...

for large parts we looked this way but there were definitely some good signs when prince was on as well as stuff ben hunt was doing. for 15-20 minutes we played some nice footy. with prince on field for 80 mins im sure we can do alot more of it. especially as most of the good field position we did have against the warriors was early on before prince got on the field.

In that trial against the Warriors we played our best footy when Scotty Prince was on, it was the same old rubbish from last year when was wasn't. We have the ability to score many more points when Prince is on.

The thing I don't understand is how we can get over the line so much just not convert it to points. The same happened all last season. We just lack a little luck sometimes. Also has anyone noticed how horrible the broncos are in broken play. I just remember the panthers game which we almost lost because when the panthers would have a horrible pass and throw the ball on the ground somehow they still ended up coming off better than us.

I wasn't that unhappy with the Warriors trial. I thought we looked better than last year in attack (even before prince was on) and we were very unlucky not to score a couple of tries in there. Couple of slow starters coming back from injury, but overall, there was plenty there to work with this year.

article on broncos site saying griffin felt forced into putting gillett into the starting 13 due to his outstanding trial form.

also interesting the article finishes with:

Gillett spoke during the pre-season of being frustrated at his utility role.
"I don't know how to shake it. I keep telling them I want to play second row," he said at the time.
"As long as I'm on the field I don't care but I'd like to be in the second row.
"I was getting thrown around a lot of different positions and found it hard."

We're the best team in the competition between the 20 metre lines.

And it shit me last year when Wallace came out in the media saying its hard to score when the forwards are struggling - we had no problem making meters last year from memory and its sad when they do their job and the halves fail to captialise in the opposition 20.

Also, if there was a stat for converting repeat sets into points I reakon we'd be near the bottom.

i hope sammy is ready to do some hit ups. get that hair going!

And it **** me last year when Wallace came out in the media saying its hard to score when the forwards are struggling - we had no problem making meters last year from memory and its sad when they do their job and the halves fail to captialise in the opposition 20.

Also, if there was a stat for converting repeat sets into points I reakon we'd be near the bottom.

If I remember correctly it was McGuire that said that. But in either case I agree with your point that I found the comment really frustrating when it clearly wasn't the problem. It just seemed to me that josh was trying to take the heat off the halves

im confident in princey. his defense against hte warriors really impressed me too. he is so good witht he ball in hand. passes find their target. good short kicking game. repeat sets. puts the defense in two minds when he shuffles across field. yes

If I remember correctly it was McGuire that said that. But in either case I agree with your point that I found the comment really frustrating when it clearly wasn't the problem. It just seemed to me that josh was trying to take the heat off the halves
That comment was late in the season when even our forward pack wasn't dominating anymore. To use a "Gus expression", you could throw a handkerchief over them halfway through the game...

I just hope that we don't think we can rely on Prince the way we used to rely on Lockyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kwomo
  • jarro65
  • Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.