Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give Nikorima a shot in the halves to begin with as he did look good during the trials and it's better to play your best players in their best positions.

Hoffman doesn't strike me as a half and Barba is to good of a fullback to be played out of the role.

The good thing about this club is that it will not accept sub par performances and will take action at some point if we start to slip again. Myself, like all broncos supporters, are pretty much used to only success. I despise 15 teams in the NRL and that will never change.

Back on topic, I'm actually fucking nervous for next week to see this team list. If I get down to 5. And see Lach.. I'm just gonna fucking fall over and crawl to the fridge and swig my Captain Morgan

If the "Harba" 5/8th experiment goes ahead Maranta gets picked

1. Harba
2. Mills (thinks tackling isn't in his job desciption)
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta (Vidot is already in the doghouse)
6. Harba
7. Hunt

Do you know the difference between a supporter and a bandwagoner ...

A true supporter will stick with their team through the good and the bad times, regardless of whether they agree with the decisions the club and coach make.

a bandwagoner is only around when the times are good and the team is successful on the field...

Personally i'm a supporter. i will always watch, and cheer them on hoping for the best ... even when things look like they may be a trainwreck.

Absolutely, look I'm as disgusted as much as the next person the position the club presently is in and absolutely everything should be done to reverse our direction, but part of being a supporter is taking the highs and the lows, 1999 is a perfect example of that, by round 10 we were dead last, with 8 losses, 1 win and a draw to our name, throw in the retirement of Langer which was probably the hardest blow of all as a Broncos supporter I could never even contemplate a Broncos side without him. We ended up winning 11 in a row, one draw, two losses and making the finals from a position no one gave us any chance of achieving, it was the best feeling ever. Now I'm not suggesting we will experience some amazing comeback season like that at all, I expect another Griffin 12/13 effort but you still got to support your side regardless because really it's all about emotional attachment to your side, to feel the highs you need to feel the lows too.

Last edited:
If you're down about the Broncos position, just look at Parra. Makes you feel better straight away.

If the "Harba" 5/8th experiment goes ahead Maranta gets picked

1. Harba
2. Mills (thinks tackling isn't in his job desciption)
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta (Vidot is already in the doghouse)
6. Harba
7. Hunt
On Mills, the couple of games I saw him play well in the Sharks seconds last year, he was on the right side yet he stunk it up on the left against the Warriors.

On Mills, the couple of games I saw him play well in the Sharks seconds last year, he was on the right side yet he stunk it up on the left against the Warriors.

That makes sense. For some reason, Copley is playing on the wrong side of the field, too. He should be Right Centre, with Reed at Left Centre.

That makes sense. For some reason, Copley is playing on the wrong side of the field, too. He should be Right Centre, with Reed at Left Centre.

I always though Copley was better suited to the left?? Pretty sure Reed prefers the right but plays left because of Hodges.

Once again players out of their real positions... :rolleyes:

Mills should be right centre, with Vidot Right Wing IMO. I'm still leaning towards wanting Copley at left centre, but not sure who the left winger would be...?

Or perhaps should Reed remain left centre and Copley left wing...?

I'm actually really looking forward to Mills hopefully getting a run at right centre. He is a really talented player, who just needs an opportunity to get fully settled into first grade. If he can play a few consecutive games, he'll feel more at home in the NRL and we'll see his talent start to shine through.

He was a junior kangaroo, but he just needs a solid opportunity in the top grade. He is someone I think we need in the team. He's big, tall, fast and a strong ball runner who often breaks tackles and doesn't mind the contact. That is something our fringes have lacked in recent years, besides the obvious exception of Hodges.

Mills may be the player to create half breaks, creating some space for attacking opportunities. In recent years, no one besides Hodges and Hoffman have looked capable of breaking the line. On top of that he can actually finish off a backline movement as well...

I'd really like Vidot to partner him on the right, with another gun in Copley on the left at centre. Hopefully we partner Copley with a good winger, but I'm not sure of who our other options would be?

That would be a pretty impressive, young back line compared to the ones in recent seasons, who will only get better with more game time.

Here's what I mean

and

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching Dogs v Manly from last year before. Barba HAS to be the fullback so he can chime in and support whenever he wants!!

Mills looks reasonable, he's just so fucking slow, why couldn't we have got Gardner or Stapleton.

No,Reedy was fast but he most certainly is not now. I believe he lost a lot of top speed when an injury and extra muscle mass were factored in. I would have Reed as a mobile back rower or not at all. If he does get through the line ( as a centre ) he is run down by heavy forwards. I like the guy and I believe he contributes and has that 'hate to lose' mentality. A good quality winger is a valuable asset and the position should not be viewed with scorn, rather it is a place to shine like Sailor and Tuquiri did. I hope someone is coaching wing play with the same vigour allocated for play making roles.

It seems we have a team almost completely composed of back rowers

Mills looks reasonable, he's just so fucking slow, why couldn't we have got Gardner or Stapleton.

His running style is quite strange too. Probably contributes to his lack of speed

Hodges looks slow. Is he ?

Hodges looks slow. Is he ?

He creates doubt in opposition defences, it allows him to gain ground while/if they decide to do anything. And he has long strides and glides along the ground. But he is not fast over distances more than 20-30m like say Hoffman is (to compare our own players) when he winds up. Hodges hits top speed at that point due to his injury limitations whereas most other players don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Yellowfella
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.