Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He creates doubt in opposition defences, it allows him to gain ground while/if they decide to do anything. And he has long strides and glides along the ground. But he is not fast over distances more than 20-30m like say Hoffman is (to compare our own players) when he winds up. Hodges hits top speed at that point due to his injury limitations whereas most other players don't

The reason I asked the question was in response to an earlier poster claiming Mills is slow and another claiming his running style looked cumbersome. Mills is most definitely not slow and I point out how Hodges looks like he is ambling yet is reasonably fast across the ground,in short appearances are sometimes deceiving.

The reason I asked the question was in response to an earlier poster claiming Mills is slow and another claiming his running style looked cumbersome. Mills is most definitely not slow and I point out how Hodges looks like he is ambling yet is reasonably fast across the ground,in short appearances are sometimes deceiving.

If Mills plays wing, he needs speed. Proper speed. Something we've missed without JYY, who could both hold his own in pace and out-skill or fend off his opponent. Also Mills was being compared to Reed in a way, which doesn't go a long way to saying he's fast.

Hodges has that aura about him where defenders go "Oh shit, Justin has the ball. What's he gonna do here?" so he doesn't need a lot of speed to still be effective. Mills on the other hand hasn't shown that in any way so far, so he needs to either have speed, strength or skill (or all 3) and he's hasn't proven too much of any yet in trials or 9s (to my knowledge). Do we want him to do well? Of course. But we fear another Maranta-esque winger that we actually bought off the market to help the outside back depth. Especially when other clubs have been picking up all these young kids in the last couple of years that are guns (or at least better than our backs. Or more tellingly, used better). What I'd give to have someone like a Mansour on our wings.

Of course if JYY was still 100% fine and it didn't happen then the whole thing would probably be a non-issue, but it did so it is. To go from having a QLD+AUS rep at only 23/24 and only getting better and then to suddenly not have him is why anyone who plays his wing gets such a hard time if they can't at least do the basic jobs of defending and in-turn outrunning their opposite number, catching balls and putting the ball down over the line. The Broncos have always had some of the best centres and wingers in recent history so it's easy to see why there's constant annoyance at sub-par players in those positions. Also it means 'Griffinball' becomes more prevalent as backline plays aren't as reliable or effective as the confidence keeps getting hammered every time it doesn't work and conservatism reigns king in the game plan.

Well that turned into a ramble and a half but I think it sums up most people's issues :type:

Mills is not that slow...

Well he's probably quicker than most of our recent backline players. I reckon he showed a good turn of speed in the try he scored off Barba's grubber in the Auckland Nines.

EIther way, thats why he should be centre, not wing... He probably makes up for his speed through strength, and being able to break through tackles...

But to be a centre, you should know how to defend. This is a serious problem for Mills in my mind.

I hope Vidot and Nikorima get a go. Vidot for his experience and Nikorima because I'm not a fan of some of the talk about Barba and Hoffman swapping positions etc. I can't see it working.

That makes sense. For some reason, Copley is playing on the wrong side of the field, too. He should be Right Centre, with Reed at Left Centre.

I'm fairly certain Reed played left centre against the Warriors.

And yes, Copley is a left sided player which is why I wanted him on the wing outside Reed. They had a decent combination going.

On Stewart Mills

He does have attacking ability and speed that helps attacking wise but in defence I think he is a turnstile and needs to show improvement in that area if he is to hold down a first grade spot.

I'm fairly certain Reed played left centre against the Warriors.

And yes, Copley is a left sided player which is why I wanted him on the wing outside Reed. They had a decent combination going.

Copley absolutely played right centre in the trial. He threw a great offload for Maranta who proceeded to get tackled with the ball as he had no abilities to break a tackle in a promising situation. And I know for a fact Maranta played right side because the only thing that is ever right about Maranta is the side of the field he steps out on.

That's great. But I said Reed played on the left.

On Stewart Mills

He does have attacking ability and speed that helps attacking wise but in defence I think he is a turnstile and needs to show improvement in that area if he is to hold down a first grade spot.

I agree that defence isn't the best, but is something that can improve based on game time in the NRL. We seem to forget he's only played a handful of first grade games, about 16 I think. Those games were also not consecutive, which means he couldn't improve on his defensive efforts on a weekly basis. Very few rookies are defensively sound to begin with, but do improve over time.

In terms of his attack, I feel he's a player we could benefit from, and is someone who will only get better.

Although our back line is rather inexperienced and without many big names, especially with Hodges out, it doesn't look too bad does it? I mean it could be worse...

I feel the backline below is what we should see to start round one. I guess Hoffman would move to wing if Hook chooses to play either Strasser or Nikorima at five-eighth. If he does that, I hope Copley, or even Hoffman move to centre and Reed gets left out.

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Mills
4. Reed/Copley
5. Copley/Reed/Hoffman
6. Hoffman/Strasser/Nikorima
7. Hunt

Copley is way better than Mills.

Copley looks like he's in for a ripper of a season. I'd have him on the left too, that'll be our main attacking side, and why waste it with Reed there.

I agree that defence isn't the best, but is something that can improve based on game time in the NRL. We seem to forget he's only played a handful of first grade games, about 16 I think. Those games were also not consecutive, which means he couldn't improve on his defensive efforts on a weekly basis. Very few rookies are defensively sound to begin with, but do improve over time.

In terms of his attack, I feel he's a player we could benefit from, and is someone who will only get better.

Although our back line is rather inexperienced and without many big names, especially with Hodges out, it doesn't look too bad does it? I mean it could be worse...

I feel the backline below is what we should see to start round one. I guess Hoffman would move to wing if Hook chooses to play either Strasser or Nikorima at five-eighth. If he does that, I hope Copley, or even Hoffman move to centre and Reed gets left out.

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Mills
4. Reed/Copley
5. Copley/Reed/Hoffman
6. Hoffman/Strasser/Nikorima
7. Hunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Therein lies our problem, a plethora of depth in postions.....nothing in others. I've heard Mills was playing on his least favoured side during that last trial, I'd at least like to see him get a run on his preferred side, even at wing, before making a decision on his abilities there personally. Not directed at either of the above posts in particular.

as in Compound and Danoz

Therein lies our problem, a plethora of depth in postions.....nothing in others. I've heard Mills was playing on his least favoured side during that last trial, I'd at least like to see him get a run on his preferred side, even at wing, before making a decision on his abilities there personally. Not directed at either of the above posts in particular.

as in Compound and Danoz

Exactly, Mills is a right side player, and Copley a left side player. In the trials both played on the least preferred side.

I completely agree with you about making a decision after giving him a decent run. We haven't seen enough of him to able to make a judgement. I don't see were so quick to right off someone.

I don't understand why others won't give blokes a chance... What other option do we have? Its not like we can play anyone else. As soon as anyone names Maranta, all hell breaks loose.

Copley looks like he's in for a ripper of a season. I'd have him on the left too, that'll be our main attacking side, and why waste it with Reed there.

Exactly I want Copley at left centre, which would mean Reed would have to play wing, but others don't agree with Reed on the wing. I'm not sure we have any other options on the wing, so I had to revert back to Reed at left centre and Copley at left wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Scdeac
  • Aldo
  • Rambstien
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Lozza
  • KickHaas
  • Morkel
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dexter
  • winslow_wong
  • the_next
  • Justwin
  • Robboi_321
  • broncsgoat
  • IceWorks
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.