Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did that Hoffman/Barba two 5/8s idea come from then?

So much backlash he decided to go against it? or was it just media bs?

Maybe he wanted to go with that idea and was persuaded against doing it ?

“Guys like Ben Hunt, .. Alex Glenn, Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett can all contribute."

That's some golden comedy writing, right there, folks.

I like the move, it would have been safer to go with Barba/Hoffman but if Hook has decided to back a rookie, he deserves credit. Whether it will actually pay off remains to be seen, I've said my piece on Kodi a number of times but given all the choices, I believe going with a natural half and keeping the likes of Barba in their preferred position is the better move.

I like what Parker said about others having to contribute to the ball-playing, we need to use our forwards better and take advantage of our mobility and skills. If we can use that 'Bulldogs' style like we've threatened to on occasion, it'd give us our best chance of playing September football.

I like the move, it would have been safer to go with Barba/Hoffman but if Hook has decided to back a rookie, he deserves credit. Whether it will actually pay off remains to be seen, I've said my piece on Kodi a number of times but given all the choices, I believe going with a natural half and keeping the likes of Barba in their preferred position is the better move.

I don't agree at all, Pete. That only makes sense from the FG experience point, but then you are just weakening yourself in both the fullback and the wing positions.

I've always been against trying to fix the halves by going with experienced players who don't actually belong there. Glenn, Tunza, Gillett, Hoffman, they were all massive mistakes playing there (though with the first 2, I guess we really did have absolutely no other choices...and Tunza was just gun everywhere I guess also).

I think you need to go with the proper structure, play a half in the halves...he might not do a perfect job straight away, but he'll learn. Just plugging a leaking hole with a GI Joe isn't going to help anyone in the long term.

The problem is, a player like Nikorima may not be up to grade and as a result, becomes a major liability, one the Brisbane can't afford to cover. By going with Barba/Hoffman as an interim solution, you're at least guaranteed two players who can handle the differences of first grade and can be trusted to perform the basics - with a player like Strasser or Nikorima you're completely rolling the dice.

Like I said, I like the move for the reasons I stated but it's definitely a big big risk.

Roll the dice with one, if you get a zero, roll the dice with the other. Maybe you'll get a natural 20.

Norman was a pretty terrible half, but he had some understanding of the position, so even though there were a lot of misses, sometimes he delivered too, and someone like Glenn ended up scoring a buttload of tries.

With Barba of Hoffman, there pretty much will be no structure, they don't really have a feel for a modern halves role either. It'll be a mess, like Jaws 3D.

Reading that article while listening to "Celebration" is just epic and gives me hope for the season.

I'm glad they're giving it to a rookie instead of rotating our fullbacks around.

Kodi Nikorima isn't Corey Norman, just because Norman worked to a certain extent doesn't mean that Nikorima will deliver similar results.

Playing a natural five eigth for the sake of playing one isn't necessarily the best thing for the team and that's all I'm saying.

The only thing I really demand if this does indeed go ahead, is to give the kid time to establish himself, and not sacrifice him within a few rounds because things aren't going too well.

The only thing I really demand if this does indeed go ahead, is to give the kid time to establish himself, and not sacrifice him within a few rounds because things aren't going too well.

I would hope that is the case. Would surely get until Kahu and maybe even Hodges are back.

One thing I will say about picking a rookie half is that I feel more prepared to lose if we are giving these young talented players a crack instead of out of position players.

Good, just as I wanted.

Now all I want is for Hook to actually give Kodi & Hunt a chance, preferably at least 4-6 games before he even considers other options, we can't write either of them off straight away, even if we get smashed.

Parker's actual words are nowhere near as definitive as the article suggests. He could be including Hoffman and Barba as 'rookie' five-eighths. Basically pre-season articles mean nothing unless the coach is directly quoted making an affirmative statement.

Good, just as I wanted.

Now all I want is for Hook to actually give Kodi & Hunt a chance, preferably at least 4-6 games before he even considers other options, we can't write either of them off straight away, even if we get smashed.

Totally agree. A big part of this will be if our forwards can hold their own and give the halves some space to work with and whether Hook can develop a game plan where they stand a little deeper in attack. The halves seem to be the big talking point at the moment and I know it is a cliche, but it's our forwards that really need to stand up and provide some sort of platform for them to work with. Thurston would struggle behind our pack the way they are going.

Thaiday was just interviewed on CH 9 news and he said that this year gives us the chance to see Strasser, Barba or Hoffman at 5/8. No mention of Kodi.

weird. who knows.

i hope we back a rookie. i get what some are saying that its a risk. but i dont like weakening other positions to try cover another, nor do i like griffin shuffling players all over the place for the same reason

could mean something or could mean nothing at all, but vidot seems excited about the season starting.

Daniel Sean Vidot
3 hours ago
Preseason officially over!! Bring on the 2014 season!! Yer boii!!

Maranta not at the fan day, Vidot excited about the season, could be a sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
  • Totally Unr3al
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • RolledOates
  • Dreaglor
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.