Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a legitimate chance the broncos have just been playing "mind games" all along? 3 days ago it was barba and hoffman. next its nikorima. next its strasser.

are they just trying to pull the old des hassler?

Everything we have seen from Hook suggests he is conservative by nature, I would be shocked if he gambled on Nikorima.

Not saying it won't work just that it would surprise me.

I would be a bit concerned for Kodi, but I'm glad as well - the kid clearly has talent. I'd be a lot more comfortable if we had a Tunza to protect him...and the rest of our team could actually stick their fucking tackles to enable covering a weaker defender in the defensive line (see Warriors trial as a perfect example..)

But hey, give it a crack. Worst that can happen is we lose a few games - which we're likely to anyway with Harba. Best case we unearth the next DCE.........that's a gamble I'm willing to take. Kodi's one of the few things that genuinely excites me about this coming season, he could be a real gun in coming years.

kasiano ruled out of at least first two rounds. big bonus for our forward pack

Barba gets hurt "What a wuss, he is obviously scared of the big Doggies forwards, bro". Kasiano gets hurt, he's obviously scared of Barba, right?

is there a legitimate chance the broncos have just been playing "mind games" all along? 3 days ago it was barba and hoffman. next its nikorima. next its strasser.

Well yeah it'd be a risk and don't know how the Dogs would feel about losing their coach to a playing comeback right before the season opener against said club. ;)

They could well be just playing mind games with the media, but I still can't help but feel that maybe Hook hasn't even decided on his five-eighth yet...

Lets just hope that within the four walls of Broncos HQ (LOL the real one) the rest of the team are aware of what's really going on, and that Hook has settled on Nikorima as five-eighth, giving him enough time to train with the full strength team. He needs to ready and comfortable with his role and the players around him.

Maybe all along Hook had Nikorima in mind but the Broncos were just using smoke and mirrors to let the kid avoid distraction.

Either way I'm extremely excited about his inclusion and must say that he adds a different dimension, greater variety and more options to our attack. It will allow Barba to roam around as he does best and he will be able to inject himself whenever he sees best. That in itself will create more time and space for Hunt and Nikorima, as well as take the pressure off the spine in general.

Our back line is really starting to take shape now.

Kodi Nikorima isn't Corey Norman, just because Norman worked to a certain extent doesn't mean that Nikorima will deliver similar results.

Playing a natural five eigth for the sake of playing one isn't necessarily the best thing for the team and that's all I'm saying.

The only way it could be worse is if Nikorima or Strasser or Tunza or whatever ended up being a worse ball player than Hoffman, and that's not very likely at all. Hoffman is as much a ball player as I'm a nude woman painter like Leo, and though me and him both like to pretend it's true, it's pretty far from the truth.

So with Hoffman and Barba in the halves, you'll have Hoffman who'll just get in the way, and Barba, who isn't really a great ball player either, but who uses his speed to create numbers, so he needs to be playing wide at fullback. Then you'll also be one step closer to Maranta being on the wing.

I just don't see how it's even remotely a safe move at all.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm fucking excited! Come on round one!

I feel now that the key positions look to be settled, there should only be a few changes to the overall team, whether it be on the bench or in the starting 13. We'll only get better with time as combinations in defence and attack click. I still feel were a prop short, and think we should play Jon Green. He's big, tall, strong, and does his job. He impressed out of all our props in the Redcliffe trials with some good hit ups.

This would be the team I would like to see. Not a bad side in my eyes:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Mills/Reed - Should Reed be in for Mills???
5. Vidot
6. Nikorima
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (C)

14. Granville
15. Gillett
16. Kennedy
17. Green/Lowrie/Molo/Hala/Wallace

What do you guys reckon???

I honestly don't think anyone has any idea who's playing Five-Eighth come round 1, probably not even Griffin.

Thaiday has said Barba or Hoffman or Strasser
Parker has said Nikorima or Strasser

I still wouldn't be surprised by any of those names being in the 6 jumper come Round 1, p.s when is the team named? Tuesday?

I think the last prop needs to be someone who might not necessarily play big minutes, but who makes 10+m a run. McGuire, Hannant and Kennedy are all very similar, all workers, but not ones who can shift the momentum in a short amount of time.

Hala would have been perfect, but I dunno about him anymore.

Molo would be my first choice "Go foward" guy off the bench, I'm willing to give Hala a few games though, to see if he's improved his fitness.

The only way it could be worse is if Nikorima or Strasser or Tunza or whatever ended up being a worse ball player than Hoffman, and that's not very likely at all. Hoffman is as much a ball player as I'm a nude woman painter like Leo, and though me and him both like to pretend it's true, it's pretty far from the truth.

So with Hoffman and Barba in the halves, you'll have Hoffman who'll just get in the way, and Barba, who isn't really a great ball player either, but who uses his speed to create numbers, so he needs to be playing wide at fullback. Then you'll also be one step closer to Maranta being on the wing.

I just don't see how it's even remotely a safe move at all.

Ball-playing isn't necessarily the biggest concern when naming a stop-gap solution. They don't have to go out there and pretend to be Jason Smith or somebody of that ilk, it's just about doing a job and filling that gap. It wouldn't be overly foreign for the Broncos either given they had a similar structure in play as early as the 2012 finals with Hodges/Hoffman.

Generally speaking, it isn't a safe option at all but given the choice between this or two kids - both of whom didn't even play a full season at half last year in reserve grade - it is.

Do you really think opposition coaches give a toss about what the other team is doing?

The only time it works is when you have your best player under an injury cloud and you rule him out then play him at the last minute without anyone knowing.

Last edited:
Ball-playing isn't necessarily the biggest concern when naming a stop-gap solution. They don't have to go out there and pretend to be Jason Smith or somebody of that ilk, it's just about doing a job and filling that gap. It wouldn't be overly foreign for the Broncos either given they had a similar structure in play as early as the 2012 finals with Hodges/Hoffman.

Generally speaking, it isn't a safe option at all but given the choice between this or two kids - both of whom didn't even play a full season at half last year in reserve grade - it is.

But my point is that the job they'll be doing is like a janitor applying for a doctor's position. He might be an experienced janitor, but that doesn't qualify him to be a doctor. Most other sides would usually go with a rookie in this situation, while we have always tried a stop-gap solution and it has always failed.

As for 2012 finals...well, we played one game and lost to the Cowboys.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think anyone has any idea who's playing Five-Eighth come round 1, probably not even Griffin.

Thaiday has said Barba or Hoffman or Strasser
Parker has said Nikorima or Strasser

I still wouldn't be surprised by any of those names being in the 6 jumper come Round 1, p.s when is the team named? Tuesday?

Yeah, it's being named Tuesday. Well, that's what I was told by a Broncos staff member.

It would not bother me if they use Barba at 5/8, I just don't want to see any rotating done. I really don't think it will work. I think it will kill any momentum the team has and it will just explode in our face. We won't have to worry about the defense of Barba if the forwards do their job and protect him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tmac
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • RolledOates
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Morepudding
  • Totally Unr3al
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.