Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

What's annoying are people getting the knives out after ONE game.

Regardless of how they have played in the past, you have to give players a chance to gel. Different coach, different tactics, they may shine under a new coach or they may dish up the same crap. Struggling players thriving under a new coach happens quite often.

This is the first game our spine has played together in months.
Im fine with all the other players Gelling to be honest. Nikorima id probably put back to bench with o'sullivan joining milford in halves. But Boyd deserves every bit of hate he gets. He didn't just make mistakes, he makes no effort. And that's unforgivable, especially as a captain. Also, this was constantly the case last season. Bird stuffed up with his knock on which lead to a try, but he was alright in his first game back after about 9 months not playing, and also being on the wrong side hes used to. But Boyd? Played every game last year, said hes feeling the fittest and fastest hes ever been, yet was completely trash last week, and again tonight.

funny post, but are you suggesting a SOS & Nikorima halves combo?
Maybe. I doubt SOS is the long term answer but he seems to be better at the basics like grubbering for the line instead of putting up a bomb for no one or kicking directly to the fullback. Milford never seems to be trying to set anyone else up. He never kicks across field for the winger like we saw Lockyer do a trillion times or even chip and chase. He's pretty useless at organizing.

Tom Dearden, Tanah Boyd and Cory Paix are all waiting in the wings.

Turpin should be choppered in immediately.

What's annoying are people getting the knives out after ONE game.

Regardless of how they have played in the past, you have to give players a chance to gel. Different coach, different tactics, they may shine under a new coach or they may dish up the same crap. Struggling players thriving under a new coach happens quite often.

This is the first game our spine has played together in months.

Nah, we've given Macca enough time. He can't pass the ball for shit. We can all see that. Surely, the Harvard Professor must've spotted it by now.

Yeah I actually thought seibold may have gone with fensom off the bench for that experience piece. Maybe next week he will get the call.
Either way I think su'a needs a few weeks in cup to get his match fitness up.
I found the Sua call odd. Fifi was preferred right edge in the trials and it appeared Sua was going to be the back rower off the bench playing through the middle... he was even playing in the middle in the Wynnum trial.

I think Fifi had some defensive lapses in the titans trial, but to drop out of the preferred spot for a guy that looks a little underdone at the moment seems a bit harsh.

In saying that I think Sua had some good points tonight... he laid a seriously solid hit on NAS when he was in beast mode... think it was in the set after their first try. He's giving up a few kilos to him and he stopped him in his tracks front on. I can see where the SBW calls come from

GettyImages 970701626

Bromwich boys spark Storm as Broncos lose Roberts

March 14, 2019

The Bromwich brothers Kenny and Jesse each scored a try as Storm kicked off their 2019 campaign in style with a 22-12 win over the Broncos before their hometown fans at Melbourne’s AAMI Park.

Jesse Bromwich’s try in the 67th minute was the match clincher, and it also made up for a mistake the former Kiwis captain made just moments earlier when an offload ended up in Brisbane’s hands.

The last time the siblings both scored in a match was against Parramatta in 2013.

The biggest question mark for the Broncos, despite some loose defence, was the health of star centre James Roberts. He left the field after five minutes, limping badly from a lower back injury, and didn't return.

The Storm showed life without champion fullback Billy Slater will still be fruitful as they ran in four tries to two in a one-sided contest to continue their remarkable record in the first round of the season.

You have to go back to 2001 to find the last time the Storm lost a season opener and it rarely looked like being any other result as the hosts dominated proceedings in front of more than 16,000 fans.

Within 15 minutes of the opening kickoff the Broncos had given up two tries, lost Roberts for the entire match, and were being bossed around by a physical Storm pack led by Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

The Broncos were lucky to trail by only 10 at halftime and when they gave up a four-pointer to Kenny Bromwich early in the second half they looked dead and buried.

A pair of tries to Corey Oates in a quick three-minute burst around the hour mark gave the Broncos some hope. But that was as good as it got for new coach Anthony Seibold as the Storm steadied late to ensure their amazing opening round streak continued.

Jahrome Hughes may not have been first choice during the pre-season to take Slater's spot at fullback, but the young Kiwi scored the first try of the match and looked assured at the back under the high ball any time the Broncos attacked.

That happened little though as the Broncos struggled to gain any meaningful possession and much of Hughes' game revolved around showing off his attacking prowess with ball in hand.

The ever-reliable duo of Cameron Smith and Cameron Munster were on song with their kicking games right from the whistle and always seemed to make the right decision late in the tackle count.

The Broncos never really came to grips with the loss of Roberts and a more determined Storm outfit.

Apart from Oates' second-half cameo it was a disappointing night for the Broncos, who were outplayed by Craig Bellamy's side and made to look second best for much of the match.

It was fitting that Hughes opened the scoring in just the third minute right in front of the newly-unveiled Slater Stand and it didn't take long for the Storm to double their advantage when centre Curtis Scott sprinted 55 metres to score moments later.

Felise Kaufusi almost had a third shortly after and, with a wealth of possession the hosts were enjoying, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before the Storm would cross score again.

The Broncos somehow managed to head to the sheds still in touch but then the Bromwich brothers show in the second half sealed the Storm win.

Oates' effort got his side within four points (16-12) with his second try coming from an errant Jesse Bromwich offload.

But the Storm veteran made up for his mistake by scoring a superb individual try from 25 metres out, throwing a dummy and diving low to slide over the line.

The visitors threw the ball around late in a valiant bid to pinch victory, but it was all in vain as the Storm defence held firm.

Source: NRL.com

87% ball control for the storm. I was hoping for us to control the ball over 85% but it wasn't to be.

1st half was extremely disorganised attack wise, defense was mediocre. The tries we let in were poor and could of been prevented.

2nd half, much much better. Completed our sets, defense was better, attack flowed a little better. We hung on, definitely tried but Macca and Boyd were poor. I've been saying Maccas gotta go this last season, nothing's changed, like the guy but he's way slow and offers absolutely zero in attack and Boyd, not sure what's going on but falling for that dummy by a forward is unacceptable.

We've now lost Lodge to suspension and Roberts to injury. Not good but we'll see what this team has got as the year goes on.

1. For those raping the choice of bombs, it was one of the little ways they could diffuse the wingers with the lack of field position we had. Time in air, means free running meters for our defense.
  2. Boyd had some hearty moments, however IMO too slow for the team and the teams potential. His defensive choices and positional play has been an issue for a long time, something that could stem from trying to be gentle on his body.
  3. Our forwards went well. The game was fast - that was semi final pace. With lack of a true captain in the line and lacking direction in attack it was a good result.
  4. Melbourne were exceptionally disciplined for a round 1 team. They were quality tonight and the result of only 10 points is fantastic.
  5. Gillett was missed on our edges
  6. Kodi is a weakness on our edges
  7. We desperately need a controlling, steering half. I see this being Niko to the bench.
  8. Macca's service needs to speed up. The time from ruck to half is too short, to stand with more depth is not such an option as it will stifle opportunistic attack from Milf.
  9. Our defense strength and grit is back. That game was significantly faster than any last year and they stuck it out well.
  10. We will be a top 4 team. No points but a great result.

Macca is never getting faster. People here have been calling it for a good 5 years now. Yet here we are in season 2019, still hoping he comes good. But wait , he’s the origin dummy half you say? Well nsw is laughing and saying, this is your origin dummy half?

Maybe. I doubt SOS is the long term answer but he seems to be better at the basics like grubbering for the line instead of putting up a bomb for no one or kicking directly to the fullback. Milford never seems to be trying to set anyone else up. He never kicks across field for the winger like we saw Lockyer do a trillion times or even chip and chase. He's pretty useless at organizing.

Tom Dearden, Tanah Boyd and Cory Paix are all waiting in the wings.

Turpin should be choppered in immediately.

Thats a complex problem. The broncos have invested in Milford as a half and are going to persist with him, fans can call for him to go to fullback all they want but it's not going to happen. Being that the leaders at the broncos have decided that Milford is the future, how are we still persisting with players like Boyd, Macca and Knik? These players are not going to get any better.

Yeah, fucking Macca and his inability to... play make, kick to corners and not drop the ball?

I found the Sua call odd. Fifi was preferred right edge in the trials and it appeared Sua was going to be the back rower off the bench playing through the middle... he was even playing in the middle in the Wynnum trial.

I think Fifi had some defensive lapses in the titans trial, but to drop out of the preferred spot for a guy that looks a little underdone at the moment seems a bit harsh.

In saying that I think Sua had some good points tonight... he laid a seriously solid hit on NAS when he was in beast mode... think it was in the set after their first try. He's giving up a few kilos to him and he stopped him in his tracks front on. I can see where the SBW calls come from

Su’a has only been running for about a month on that ankle. Probably why Fifita was preferred to start in trials and gain experience. Especially with a full preseason. But I think JS is the starting option with Gillette at 13

The only time I hate watching Cameron Smith is when he plays against us.

He always makes me realise, just how shit Andrew McCullough really is.

We will always be only a top 4 contender, for as long as he remains in the side.

Last edited:
Seibold left his starters on for too long, just like he did last year. Our forwards were still being wrestled onto their backs because they were tired. This slows everything down, including McCullough's passes. Lucky we will always have Bennett's sweep play because that was the only thing that looked dangerous tonight. Ofahengaue and TPJ were lazy in the middle, our halves don't know how to kick long and Su'a needs to hold onto the ball.

Also I'm pretty fucking tired of the refs "putting their whistle away" because it benefits teams who shouldn't be benefiting from it. Smiths forward passes, that knock on, Vunivalu putting the ball down on his own try line are all things that should have went our way tonight.

Seibold left his starters on for too long, just like he did last year. Our forwards were still being wrestled onto their backs because they were tired. This slows everything down, including McCullough's passes. Lucky we will always have Bennett's sweep play because that was the only thing that looked dangerous tonight. Ofahengaue and TPJ were lazy in the middle, our halves don't know how to kick long and Su'a needs to hold onto the ball.

Also I'm pretty fucking tired of the refs "putting their whistle away" because it benefits teams who shouldn't be benefiting from it. Smiths forward passes, that knock on, Vunivalu putting the ball down on his own try line are all things that should have went our way tonight.

Agree about the minutes, Flegler only got 10 and he was more than holding his own, our starters really could've used another 5-10 mins each on the bench to freshen up for that second half comeback, not sure why Seibold pulled him early.

One thing I'll say about Su'A, he got concussed tonight, didn't read the live thread around that time so I'm not sure if anyone picked up on it, commentators didn't. He got piledrived on to his face and was clearly concussed but played it off as a knee injury. Don't think he's at 100% fitness anyway after that ankle surgery, willing to give him some more chances to prove himself, if anyone needs a bit of leeway it's probably him.

The refs were putrid as well, we were being held down SO long in tackles, and we got ZERO penalties for slowing the play the ball, if we repeated that game last season against anyone but the Storm we would've had 15 ruck penalties, comfortably. Let's see if that's league wide, or just the usual Storm/Smith leniency bullshit we've become accustomed to.

Edit: We seemingly aren't getting our weekly POTS thread like we used to, so I'll post them in here, I went -

3. Oates
2. Lodge
1. Bird

Bird probably didn't play well enough to warrant a place, but I was just impressed with his willingness to look for work and his defense after that early error, the Bird of last season would've put his head down and went in to his shell, let's hope that confidence translates to a good season from him.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.