Round 10 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding this game hard to tip.

Why wouldn't you back the broncs?

I tip against the Broncos every week. Even tipped the Titans against them!

B Stewart > Hoffman
Lyon > Reed
D Williams > Copley
Cherry > Hunt
Hannant > King
Ballin > Macca
Civo > Kite
Watmough > Glenn
Thaiday > Buhrer
G Stewart > Parker

That's what I said minus the waffle ;)

B Stewart > Hoffman
Lyon > Reed
D Williams > Copley
Cherry > Hunt
Hannant > King
Ballin > Macca
Civo > Kite
Watmough > Glenn
Thaiday > Buhrer
G Stewart > Parker

Not convinced Watmough or B. Stewart win their positional head to heads.

Key to me is the bench:
Te'o, Gillett, McGuire, Capewell > Mauro, Galuvao, Lussick, Rose, Harrison, Whare (whichever 4 they pick).

Plus you left out Hodges > Matai.
Baele > Taufua
Norman = L. Foran IMO

And that's being generous to Liam Foran really.

I'd say Parker = G. Stewart too.

And that's being generous to Liam Foran really.

I'd say Parker = G. Stewart too.

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily disagree. I'm just trying to take a step back and look at it as unbiased as possible (Very hard when I HATE anyone wearing a Manly jersey).

Imo, both G Stewart and Watmough are better than their counterparts.

It's not night and day margins, but I think we're being a little biased. Stewart offers much more penetration in the middle than Parker does, plus he basically plays as a 2nd 5/8 half the time.

Watmough has bad hands, apart from that he's more explosive then Glenn.

hoffman v stewart I think is close, i don't think b stewart is as good as he was pre knee issues, and hoffman is getting better and better.

Geez I really hope we can pick up a win tonight. A win plus the bye means a 4 point weekend for the Broncos and keeps us away from all the rubbish teams on 10 points.

A loss and we're staring down the barrell of the Storm at Olympic and 3 losses in a row against quality opposition.

It's not night and day margins, but I think we're being a little biased. Stewart offers much more penetration in the middle than Parker does, plus he basically plays as a 2nd 5/8 half the time.

hoffman v stewart I think is close, i don't think b stewart is as good as he was pre knee issues, and hoffman is getting better and better.

Defensively both Glenn and Parker are better than their counterparts.
G. Stewart has more ballplaying skill than Parker and tends to be a bit more direct than Parker, who's often too sideways for my liking.

Watmough is so inconsistent, which is why I rate Glenn higher. Watmough might make more individual busts, but Glenn runs better lines. Hence I prefer Glenn over Watmough. (That and Watmough is a c#$%)

Glenn's been good this season, but I think last season he plateaued a bit, which is why I'd still rank Watmough ahead because he has more runs on the board.

If Glenn continues to play as he does, then perhaps by the end of the season he will have overtaken him, but I don't think it's a fair judgement to make when Watmoughs been playing at a decent level for a number of years now.

That and the fact that he's a c#$% isn't really relevant, have heard a lot of people say that about Parker!

speaking defensively i'm not sure, it's easier to stand out when attacking, it's quite possible our players are better in that aspect, i just can't say with any real conviction either way.

I have to disagree with the penetration comment. G. Stewart plays more on the right hand edge where he offers an extra pass or kick. When he's not doing that he's just making easy fringe runs.

Parker on the other hand works up the middle where he's constantly making momentum runs where he's trying to earn quick play the balls through the middle either by himself or through offloads.

Defensively I think they're pretty even though.

I'd take Watmough > Glenn at this stage but I can see that changing in a matter of months if Glenn keeps improving and Watmough keeps going backwards.

Hope no one takes this the wrong way but I can't think of too many areas Hoffman is better than B. Stewart in. If I was marking it I'd give Hoffman better marks on kick returns, involvement and health otherwise it's even (defence, positioning, defusing kicks) or you'd have to give it to Stewart (speed, playmaking.)

It's all pretty moot though. Just a fun excercise to get us pumped for the game.

IMO I think Hoffman is slightly better than Stewart at the moment. Safer hands under the high ball especially on his own line ( after all isn't that one of the main roles of a fullback?) and makes plenty of breaks from taking it up and from broken play. Stewart of course has a lot more experience reading the play and picks his moment maybe a bit better?
I thought Glenn is only getting sharper out there and would back him over Squatmough! I think "the mough" uses the surprise element to his great advantage. A guy who looks and runs like he's got one leg shorter than the other but actually can put on the bursts when it suits the mongrel! :grr:

Gonna be a great game and interesting to see how we bounce back from last week. Come on ya good thing!

On ability alone, Stewart and Watmough may just (I mean JUST!) shade it, but I know I'd rather have Glenn and Hoffman alongside me on the field.

I think Jack Reed deserves another point for being as good as he is even when he lacks pace... #justsaying.

With Wallace missing I've tipped Manly by 4.

I can't wait to see how our halves go tonight. We need a big game from Bn Hunt He was excellent against Caberra but the Sea Eagles are in a different league and they're going to be all over him. Ditto for Norman.

This player by player comparison is rather short-sighted IMO and not wholly representative of what we will see on the field. Not only do Manly have the superior players in the 1,7 and 9 jerseys, but the understanding those players have of each other and their ability to operate as a cohesive spine is simply miles ahead of what our 1, 7 and 9 can do. And given how important spines are to a team these days, I think Manly are deserved favourites, particularly with Wallace out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.