Round 11 - Tigers v Broncos - Post Match Discussion

After a second look I'd say we looked okay against one of the lesser light teams. Very definitely some good aspects with Hunts game and the efforts of Oates, Vidot, Hannant ,Glenn and Maranta. Maranta took a couple of very difficult high balls when under enormous pressure so kudos to him. Nice to not lose in the last couple of minutes but taking an even handed view we weren't particularly threatened.

At the time of THAT hit on McCullough I kept thinking ,right that'll obviously be on report and a penalty forthcoming then was totally amazed after it had been repeatedly replayed that no-one except me could see it !! Naturally you all saw it but you know what I mean. Not a single comment from a commentary team which is supposed to be watching, no wonder we feel that we are victims at times especially after the earlier insistence that contact with the head would draw a sanction.

I agree. So can we now start to feel that our feelings of harsh treatment by the refs is genuinely vindicated by actual evidence, and not just one-eyed bias?

Brooks got outplayed on fri night, but he only turned 19 recently and is already better than many other NRL halves, he's going to be amazing.

1st time I've really seen Luke Brooks outplayed by his opposite. I'm a big fan of this kid and I think he has the potential to be a long term player with a big profile.

I agree. So can we now start to feel that our feelings of harsh treatment by the refs is genuinely vindicated by actual evidence, and not just one-eyed bias?

Probably more observation bias.

Referees make poor decisions in every game.

I dare say over the long term you, and most of the BHQ forum users, watch significantly more Broncos games than others.

Therefore, you're more likely to remember poor decisions from Broncos games.

1st time I've really seen Luke Brooks outplayed by his opposite. I'm a big fan of this kid and I think he has the potential to be a long term player with a big profile.

Yeah Hunt schooled him. He read every one of his attacking plays, and his line break was off the inside shoulder of Brooks.

I was counting and it was 4-0 Hunt in one on one plays by about the 50 minute mark.

Brooks was great for most of the game, but if he was the Broncos Halfback, we would have all been screaming he's a choker and doesn't know how to close a game out. He came up with really poor decisions on the 5th tackle in the last 5 minutes when the Tigers were on our line and that ultimately cost them the game.

He will learn from that and grow. Crazy he's only 19 years old. He'll be a future NSW Half for sure!

Probably more observation bias.

Referees make poor decisions in every game.

I dare say over the long term you, and most of the BHQ forum users, watch significantly more Broncos games than others.

Therefore, you're more likely to remember poor decisions from Broncos games.

I see your point there, and it is probably true for the most part.

I watch nearly every NRL game (sad I know) and in regards to the Luani shoulder charge to Macca's head I have never once seen a shoulder charge that makes contact to the head, that was replayed multiple times, receive no action.

It leaves you thinking that there is no other explanation. I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that the coach, and the broncos in general don't kick up a stink about it. If this happened to a hasler, toovey, stickey etc. coached team they know that the coach will bring it to the attention of the media, will go to NRLHQ about it etc. so they would never let it slide.

Also, when it comes to the media there is never an mention, however if we recieve a penalty (like the one that hunt kicked to win the game) little bitches like Tim Gilbert will make snide comments about it under there breath going into an ad break, so that people with an actual brain like Sterlo can't debate them about it.

At 19, I think Brooks sorely missed the maturity, amongst other things, of Farah. If Farah had played, I think Brooks would have been much more effective.

The Tigers at full strength - add Farah, Tedesco, Woods, Sironen and Fulton, are a very very good side. Top 4 material for mine at full strength.

Hunt looked to me like he is starting to relax a lot more and enjoy his football and it shows as his game evolves, especially his kicking game.

I agree with others that Hunt can be up there with the best of them. I was impressed with his game which, however, made me lament even more what we are missing not having a genuine ⅝ whatever the added motivation it gives Hunt to work harder.

On the hit on Macca was Galloway trying to say he took a dive? Seen Josh McGuire get into a push and shove with him then looked like Macca said some stuff to him once he got up.

The hit on Macca, well the NRL released a video explaining the shoulder charge and that is not counted as a shoulder charge.

The arm must be tucked into the side of the body. His arm was not tucked in.

It should have been a penalty for contact to the head, but a penalty for a shoulder charge? According to the NRL, there was no shoulder charge.

Last edited:
I have a question......

How was the the Brooks try given a try. Anasta was clearly three or four metres offside and came within 10m's of the kick. I thought the rule was that if you came within 10m's its offisde.

I have a question......

How was the the Brooks try given a try. Anasta was clearly three or four metres offside and came within 10m's of the kick. I thought the rule was that if you came within 10m's its offisde.

I think the rule is, if you come within 10 metres and have an impact on the play. Anasta didn't have any impact.

I'm pretty sure that's the rule, anyway.

I think the rule is, if you come within 10 metres and have an impact on the play. Anasta didn't have any impact.

I'm pretty sure that's the rule, anyway.

they have always ruled that just by being within the 10m you are deemed to be having an impact on the play.

the exception is if you are playing the ball... then you can be within 10m as long as you don't move off the mark.

they have always ruled that just by being within the 10m you are deemed to be having an impact on the play.

the exception is if you are playing the ball... then you can be within 10m as long as you don't move off the mark.

Thats what I thought. How can you not have a impact on the play if you run 30m from an offside position and get within 10m of the ball. Anasta being within 10m made Barba and Vidot have to worry about two players Brooks and Anasta.....

I think Brooks ends up running past Anasta and since Brooks kicked the ball, that puts Anasta onside.

I think Brooks ends up running past Anasta and since Brooks kicked the ball, that puts Anasta onside.

Yes....eventually he does run past him and puts him onside however im certain that Anasta is within 10m before that happens so Anasta basically runs for 25m or so offside and gets within 10m. (i just watched the replay. Anasta is seriously no more then 2m or 3m from the ball before Brooks runs him onside...)

Its the exact same with the down town rule or whatever they call it now. If Brooks had of kicked from inside his half and Anasta ran down field in an offside position we should get a penalty shouldnt we...? Doesnt matter if Brooks runs him onside after 30m. Anasta has influenced the play IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, I suppose. It's a bit of a discretion call I feel in that case. We were unlucky.

Yes....eventually he does run past him and puts him onside however im certain that Anasta is within 10m before that happens so Anasta basically runs for 25m or so offside and gets within 10m. (i just watched the replay. Anasta is seriously no more then 2m or 3m from the ball before Brooks runs him onside...)

Its the exact same with the down town rule or whatever they call it now. If Brooks had of kicked from inside his half and Anasta ran down field in an offside position we should get a penalty shouldnt we...? Doesnt matter if Brooks runs him onside after 30m. Anasta has influenced the play IMO.

I think it could be argued that anasta interfered with the play because he is running at the ball with the intention to play at it, meaning the defense has to make a decision it shouldnt have to. But we can't even get a penalty for deliberate contact with the head so I hardly think we would have gotten anywhere

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Gaz
  • eazy-duzzit
  • winslow_wong
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • marw
  • Adammacca
  • Big Del
  • Pablo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.