11 S. Sorensen 0 0 0 0 1 1 35 2 0 14 0 0 0m 104m 0 0
12 Z. Hosking 0 0 0 0 2 1 32 1 0 17 0 0 0m 76m 0 0
13 I. Yeo 0 0 0 0 3 1 42 1 0 17 0 0 0m 140m 1 1
14 S. Luke 0 0 0 0 0 0 9 1 0 4 4 0 0m 18m 0 0
15 L. Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 26 0 0 10 0 0 0m 61m 0 0
16 L. Martin 0 0 0 0 4 4 14 2 0 13 0 0 0m 83m 0 0
17 J. Salmon 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 1 0 6 0 0 0m 37m 0 0
19 L. Garner 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

A good effort without our captain, half and kicker.

I have never seen an onfield ref over rule a video ref. Whether right or wrong not dodgy at all! If Gee was so sure why go to the video ref?

The first try was a double movement even considering the rule change. If he didn't lift and promote the ball he may not have made the tryline and was also possibly into touch.

I'm no Billy Walters fan but he again out played Paix.

Can Walsh go one game without any errors? Did some good things at the end but when the ball is on the ground near our tryline it's your job to dive on it not attempt some miracle pick up and 100 m try.

Capewell again was a passenger and shouldn't be in the starting side.

After that whinge though big effort to hold Penrith who put a cricket score on the Roosters especially missing Reynolds. Take Cleary out of the Penrith team who's kicking just trapped us near our line and we would have won that.

I was getting off on our forwards going after Fisher Harris and Leota and giving it to them.
The intensity from both sets of props was awesome to see up close. I was thinking Tommy has lost his mind the way he was smashing Fish. Was waiting for Fish to kill him but he held his own all game. So sorry to know he’s leaving just when he’s becoming the beast he has always promised he could be

That call for the Walsh interference on the fullback, looks wrong to me... just had a look at the live speed and slomo and it looks like a play on, and try. Really don't care either way just calling it like I see it.

Interesting that the ref was giving guidance to the bunker though... the rules are a mess with the NRL.

I said it in the live thread - if Staggs isn't there I think Walsh takes it, and if that's not competing for the ball in not sure what is.

He didn't have eyes for the ball to begin with because he was watching where Edwards was watching, and he planned his jump off that, turning at the last moment to find it. It's almost like a receiver in the NFL only turning at the end of their route knowing where the ball will be.

I said it in the live thread - if Staggs isn't there I think Walsh takes it, and if that's not competing for the ball in not sure what is.

He didn't have eyes for the ball to begin with because he was watching where Edwards was watching, and he planned his jump off that, turning at the last moment to find it. It's almost like a receiver in the NFL only turning at the end of their route knowing where the ball will be.
That seems to be what happened I would say.

A bad call but it would have been a try if the ref hadn't influenced the bunker decision in a certain direction, interesting one.

I think the Panthers when they click.......are very hard to beat.

Their defence was suffocating last night. They certainly have the ability to attack when defending down patt.
Yep.. Definitely a better team, just need some luck.. cleary suspended, roll of the ball... at least they are a chance.

Exactly how I saw it as well, the whole eyes for the ball is rubbish - he was 100% using cues from the players around there, was quite brilliant really. Reece got much higher to.

Saying that, not 100% convinced Cobbo got the required downward pressure. Meh, we were never winning that, "Bronco's fall from grace" gets more clicks down south.

And, how rubbish is Suncorps surface, good luck getting it mint for the soccer...

I'm bewildered why everyone is going on about the double movement and the Staggs no try when the most blatant was the Walsh no try because Kobe "lost the ball forward into the back of the Penrith defender's head". At no time does Kobe lose control. The ball is firmly in his grasp and knocked out -backwards when it collides with the Riff defender's head.

I don't get the controversy. It's a loose carry. The fact that the ball came free so easily says it all.

The ball contacts the head of Kenny and comes free, which is automatically ruled a knock on despite the ball going back.

Brings me back to Round 9, 2017 vs Panthers. Wallace dives in for a try, McGuire knocks the ball free making a tackle, ball goes back, Tamou picks up the ball and scores but try is taken off them due to the loose carry from Wallace. Ruled an automatic knock on when McGuire knocks the ball free.

That's the way they have been ruling it for a long time.

I don't get the controversy. It's a loose carry.

The ball contacts the head of Kenny and comes free, which is automatically ruled a knock on despite the ball going back.
So the ball is knocked on even though it went backwards and wasn't dropped but dislodged??
That is some NRL REF level logic right there.
It's too simple to **** up except when the refs get involved.
The ball was not dropped, it never went forward at any stage, it was knocked loose and backwards, it's play on.
If a Penrith player had picked it up and scored I'd still say play on, off the head, sometimes lucky/unlucky stuff happens in a game.

Gutsy performance. I can't be bothered getting into the discussion on some of the calls, but I was proud of our defence. We lose that game by 40 last year.

I thought Madden played ok - he wasn't a liability in d and he tried to get involved in attack. Problem is, we scored 4 points. We missed Reynolds direction and guile last night. It's concerning that if he isn't on the field then we seem clueless on how to score points save for individual efforts.

Taupau didn't do much for mine last night. Needs to see less game time, maybe only coming on towards the end of each half to shore up D and provide some leadership.

Walsh needs to work on the errors. Someone else already mentioned it but he needs to learn to play it safe - not every play needs to end with him/someone running 100m to score. Probably just experience, but it's costing us atm.

Liam Martin was amazing. He really destroyed us when he came on. Felt he and Cleary really dominated us. They were by FAR the better team.

Could we have used that no try/double movement call go our way? Absolutely (the fact that there's so much arguing about it shows it's a 50/50 call and not a black and white decision). I thought the Sorenson no try could have gone their way and it would have been OK. But that doesn't account for the fact that they really were a much better team than us.

The problem was we had NO answers in attack for their defence. I was having "Milford hoiking a bomb up from the 40" PTSD last night, as that's all Madden seemed to be able to do. They weren't bad kicks, but there was zero variation making it easy for the most excellent Dylan Edwards or ToO to defuse. And even though I'm Ezra's biggest fan he really didn't do much, didn't take any good options. We were just absolutely out classed in the spine. Walsh did one really great clearing kick, we could have used more of that. Also, why is Staggs kicking goals? He actually sucks this year.

Also, as billy's almost biggest hater, I have to say that he was giving better service to our guys than Paix. That's an issue, because he's actually not very good.

That Turuva one is a classic double movement. I don't think any fan would disagree except that the new 'interpretations' (I am so sick of this word) make a bad decision justifiable. He promoted the ball, there are no two ways about that. The fact the second defender comes across and gets him milliseconds after his promotion gets the ball to the line means there is sufficient doubt whether he would have got that unless he made the second effort.

I feel sorry for the refs in this situation because they are let down by their administration. Until this year, there is absolutely no question that is a double movement, now the refs have to think about 'interpretation' and this will just encourage more players to do this now and refs to get even more confused and note, inconsistent, in the way they adjudicate it. I also think the Sorensen one was a bit of a make up for the fact this one was given.

On the other controversial points, for Kobe being called a knock on, I can live with that. Those calls go either way multiple times a year, that one went against us, so be it, it happens and I agree with Kevvie about that. As for the other one, the on field ref overruling the bunker, it just confirms to me what I've been saying for some time, the bunker does not have extra angles to look at and so ultimately, we might as well just do what happened last night, have the onfield ref make a call based on the replays on field if this is the way we want to go and remove the bunker entirely, which I am in favour of.

The Walsh call was for all intents and purposes to me ok BUT it is the inconsistency that drives one crazy. That sort of stuff happens game in, game out and it is all ok, so Walsh is simply bending the rules because that stuff is ok every other time except here. In the Souths game, Campbell Graham took out our jumpers every chance he had. In the Storm game, Coates and almost everyone else in the Storm side did the same thing, Munster is the worst culprit at it in the league but it is all good and all play on but Walsh does it (and almost catches the ball I might add), suddenly nope, no good here.

If this results in a change and early jumpers, etc start getting penalised, I am all for it because it is a blight on the game but I suspect it won't be and in one of tonight's games the very same thing will happen and it will be play on like normal.

We've had a problem all year with Ezra not being capable of finding the winger when the D has jammed I'm .
The most frustrating thing for me is how our 2 rep standard centres can get to this level and have no skill in their hands.
We create space but just can't get the ball there unless we kick to it.

Also, Billy had a cracking game, he is so underrated it is ridiculous. He isn't an elite hooker but he is a very good one and his defense is extremely underrated. 46 tackles in the middle against that pack with only 2 misses and decent service plus some great niggle and a willingness to stand up for his teammates, what more do you want from a cheap player? Having a cheap, very serviceable 9 means we can spend money elsewhere. He is giving great bang for buck. The vitriol against him is ridiculous.

Luai was charged for the contact with the ref facing a fine.

Taupau charged for a high tackle. Also facing a fine

Re: the double movement, that has been ruled as such for the past 10 years, and now all of a sudden the refs are giving the attacking side far more leeway when it comes to momentum and the whole thing with promoting the ball is suddenly far more liberal.

That is exactly what's wrong with the NRL. They're so fucking schizophrenic about the interpretation of rules and everyone is fucking sick of it.
love rugby league, fucking hate the nrl

If the double movement was at the other end and say it was Cobbo trying to score, no way it's given.

Also, the media would implode if it was.
What? The Cobbo try that was given was clearly a knock on, and it wasn't replayed to show this. If that was Penrith, this website would be calling for a riot at NRL HQ. We got several lucky calls last night, refs probably kept Penrith under 30points.

What? The Cobbo try that was given was clearly a knock on, and it wasn't replayed to show this. If that was Penrith, this website would be calling for a riot at NRL HQ. We got several lucky calls last night, refs probably kept Penrith under 30points.

There’s no separation though?

The Staggs no try where the ref overruled the bunker. Was their anyone at the ground that saw what the Penrith players were doing? On commentary I thought I could hear the ref talking to the Penrith players who were complaining. Could be totally wrong though

Active Now

• Xzei
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.