Round 12 - Broncos vs. Manly - Post-Match Discussion

interesting little nugget on the commentary from Phil Gould - getting the grand tour from the broncos a couple of years ago ..

thats old news when ghould got offered the job at panthers he asked the broncos if they could show him how there buseinss is run. not so much the footy side but the commercial side so he can help make panthers a profitable club.

Great win, I'll be the negative nancy and say that Gillett was poor, he did some good stuff, including that massive 100m try, but I counted at least 3-4 unforced errors and several missed tackles, one of which lead to the Matai try.

But now I've got that out of the way, good stuff all around, Hunt was brilliant, Barba looked more involved, Vidot & Reed put together good performances. Let's hope we play like this every week. Maybe those Friday night games are a disadvantage afterall..

I wish someone would tell him he doesn't always have to cut back to the middle of the field when he has the ball. A couple of times he botched an encouraging attacking move by doing this instead of keeping the movement going to the edges.

Barba - Some of those trademark evasive runs swept in. His positioning at times in defense watching live worries me though. Very promising though.
Vidot - Should I say Steve Price? He hits a line and keeps going, love it. Why was Glenn awarded Vidot's try?
Reed - People will be reluctant to say it and some will still bag him out but he was outstanding today. He completely shut down Lyon and was damaging in attack all day. MOTM for mine.
Copley - Scored good tries and was quality as always but he has to cut those dropped balls out of his game.
Maranta - Where was he last year? He has become an absolute quality back.
Hoffman - Love the Hoff's commitment in defense and did some little things in attack but he is just not creative at all with ball in hand. He isn't bad at kicking though.
Hunt - I would have no problem pitching him into origin, he is a star and threatened all day. His defense is punishing. If DCE is not fully fit, I'd go for Hunt.
McGuire - I was saying I would go for Lawrence in SOO2 but McGuire was on fire and completely outplayed Lawrence.
McCullough- Controlled the game beautifully today and he tackled his heart out as always.
Parker - He was amazing backing up, damaging runs and quality offloads all game.
Glenn - He has stepped it up the last month and was playing with intensity and agility all game, very well played.
Thaiday - Showed exactly why he has been missed and especially so in SOO1, bent the line every run in his necessarily limited game time.
Gillett - Barnstorming game, was phenomenal and his runaway try was a highlight, he is gonna have a massive SOO2, I can feel it.

Lowrie - Tackled well and did some nice runs, he is growing on me.
Oates - Takes some tackling with the ball and does some amazing tackling without it, what a gun!
Hannant - Where has that been? That was the Benny of old and boy was it outstanding!
Wallace - He is learning to be good consistently and so you can deal with the odd not so good game but needs to cut out his penalties.

As an additional note, I loved the offloading and 2nd phase play all afternoon.

Amazing what happens when we decide to pass, especially the forwards, and let the ball do the work. The team played as a team. So good to see.

Copley's footwork is amazing.

I thought Hannant was terrific, and Barba is on his way back at last.

Glenn was very good but still won't pass the ball.

Agree about Gillett. Very poor as someone posted. He should be dropped. The only player on the field who made a mistake.

Last edited:
:congrats:Gee that Ben Hunt sure seems to have had some brilliance coached into him.

YIEW BEAUTY

just got home from teh game and the full replay is starting on fox. watching

feels great to see hte team actually perform well. and love beating manly.

hunt is the man.

Wasn't expecting a W today but very happy about it, finally something to truly cheer about this season LOL obviously our best performance so far this season, I hope this turns our year around & we play every game like we did today.

Was a good performance still need a little more work on our attack and we turned over alot of ball near there line when we shuold of been looking for a reapeat set just a few to many forced passes imo, but by that stage we were already at least 14 in front so its forgiveable.

think the most pleasing part of it was we put in for the whole 80 minutes and our forwards had some grunt about them.

oh and one last thing ben hunt is turning into an amazing player. sky is the limit for him and will be interested to see what a complee ben hunt will look like

he by far has the most potential of any half in the comp imo.

i was thinking pre game that a big performance today could spark our season, or a loss would probably confirm us to mediocrity.

hopefully this is the catalyst for some more great footy.

also i wish copley could just play right centre for us permanently

Just what I needed after that origin game, I strong win against a top 4 side. Thank the footy gods hunt ended up staying with us.

Totally agree with this. Most would not have stayed with the way he was treated, so thank god he isn't most.

thought hannant was very good today. i will be pretty disappointed if he ends up leaving. he doesnt look like a player who wants out. always willing to acknowledge the supporters too.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • thenry
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.