Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Will all players be backing up from origin? i know Milford isn't but is everyone else?

We will find out tomorrow after the training session.

Bennett is waiting until then to make a call, but I would be very surprised if all players (minus Milford) back up.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
He should not be entitled to a spot, he has to earn it, otherwise it can go to someone who A. is performing and B. Isn't leaving.

He has been our starting half for a few years, took us to a GF and semi's and has been at least as consistent as Milf. Apart from signing with another club, what has be done to deserve getting dropped? Get injured in a last gasp tackle with a torn hammy? I'd say he's earned his spot.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
He has been our starting half for a few years, took us to a GF and semi's and has been at least as consistent as Milf. Apart from signing with another club, what has be done to deserve getting dropped? Get injured in a last gasp tackle with a torn hammy? I'd say he's earned his spot.

He has to continue to earn it, imo. That is all.

Don't take things out of context, my posts were referencing Niko and what to do with him.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
He has to continue to earn it, imo. That is all.

Don't take things out of context, my posts were referencing Niko and what to do with him.

Sure, but that's like saying, Gillette has to continue to earn his spot or Sua will replace him. Why are we even talking about it, it's not going to happen....imo.

Not trying to pick a fight here, I rate Niko and think he did great backing up when Hunt got injured. I also wouldn't have any issues if he was Halfback next year. I just find it odd that people think Hunt is under any pressure to keep his spot.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Sure, but that's like saying, Gillette has to continue to earn his spot or Sua will replace him. Why are we even talking about it, it's not going to happen....imo.

Not trying to pick a fight here, I rate Niko and think he did great backing up when Hunt got injured. I also wouldn't have any issues if he was Halfback next year. I just find it odd that people think Hunt is under any pressure to keep his spot.

I think if Hunt stinks it up, dropping his ass should be an option. I think he'll be fine, but when he's down on form he brings the whole team down. We did fine with Milf and Niko.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I think if Hunt stinks it up, dropping his ass should be an option. I think he'll be fine, but when he's down on form he brings the whole team down. We did fine with Milf and Niko.
There's a fair but of truth to this.

Hunt as our main stay 7 deserves to hold his position for now, and I dare say he'll retain it.

If it doesn't work out, there's no reason why we shouldn't be reassessing with an eye to next year.

For this week, I hope Gillett is right. He seems off and we want him on point marking up on Cordner's edge. Thaiday will be fine, he did struggle with conditions on Wednesday but he's done some good things for us off the bench.

I'd be ok with Oates sitting it out. We've got Mead and Pearson for cover, and he got some pretty heavy knocks in Origin. Give him a chance to recuperate.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think if Hunt stinks it up, dropping his ass should be an option.

I would hope the same would happen for any player in the team ... no player should be selected if they continually stinking it up.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I also agree with letting Oates rest, I want to see Pearson get some more opportunities (though I'm aware it'll probably be Mead), Pearson just has something about him that I really like, reminds me a lot of Gagai in the way he plays I think.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I would hope the same would happen for any player in the team ... no player should be selected if they continually stinking it up.

Don't tell @Kyall that, he loves Moga. ;)

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Hunt will be fine.

He was starting to find his mojo before his injury, and he was showing some improvement in his kicking, although his kick choices needs a bit of work. So hopefully with a couple of games back he will continue to improve and get back to 2014-2015 Hunt.

Let's face it, we are a much better side with him in form.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Rest Gillet and send him on a short holiday he is in terrible form I suspect at least partly due to fatigue anyway and needs a break. Oates got hammered all game have Mead and Pearson to replace. Need Boyd and he needs to play after his poor showing. Play McGuire on shorter minutes from bench. Thaiday needs to start and play longer minutes he was horrible and needs a kick in the butt and hook him if terrible again.

KNik must play halves on the right for Roberts. Benji can sit on a bench.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

Indeed. No one is entitled to their spot, they all have to earn it. Hunt just gets more scrutiny because he's leaving.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
according to the courier mail Marshall has been given first crack at training and could replace Milford this week

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/06/02/team_update_broncos__854579277.html

WAYNE Bennett has taken a good, long look at his State of Origin stars this morning as the Broncos get ready to face the Roosters.
Anthony Milford is the only one not in contention to play in Sydney tomorrow night in the wash-up of Queensland’s Origin loss on Wednesday.
Milford was never going to play after suffering a head knock against NSW.
But the Broncos have a ready-made replacement in Benji Marshall, who was the one of the best players against the Warriors last week.
Marshall will again slot in at five-eighth.
But the Broncos received another blow when utility Kodi Nikorima was ruled out with a shoulder problem suffered against the Warriors last week.
His place on the bench will be taken by Jaydn Su’A.
The rest of the Broncos Origin contingents - Matt Gillett, Darius Boyd, Sam Thaiday and Corey Oates – look right to go against the Roosters.

LIKELY BRONCOS NRL SQUAD

1. Darius Boyd ©
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. Jordan Kahu
20. Benji Marshall
7. Ben Hunt
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

Interchange:

14. Alex Glenn
15. Tevita Pangai
16. Herman Ese’ese
19. Jayden Su’A

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
Indeed. No one is entitled to their spot, they all have to earn it. Hunt just gets more scrutiny because he's leaving.

I think maybe i'm just not articulating my point very well. I agree with you that no one is entitled to their spot, but in one hand duh...that's obvious and a trope that's trotted out constantly. On the other hand when did we last drop someone based on form? Offa, Eden or Vidot maybe and certainly not one of the spine and mainstays of the team.

I just don't think it's remotely likely to happen, but sure, if he shits the bed, drop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Lostboy
  • Aldo
  • Tim K
  • broncos4life
  • whykickamoocow
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • mrslong
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • The True King
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.