Round 14 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussion

Alec said:
If we had the full strength side, I'd be shitty, but I'll take anything during Origin time.

this.

we got the win.

there was alot of positives in the 65 minutes we dominated. pretty disappointing to let in the tries we did but we got away with it. we just got stuck on the back foot when we didnt have the ball for such a long time.

some good positives i thought from many of the young guys.

norman had a really good game i feel.

Remember we didn't have the ball for 15 mins & that's when they scored.

Corey Normans field goal attempts were shocking, but besides those shots, his long kicking game overall was outstanding. He has a big boot on him, and found space most, if not all the time.

PETERN said:
Corey Normans field goal attempts were shocking,

yeah. we've all seen far more experienced players have the same shockers. its all good. he wasnt really in a great position for either of them.

PETERN said:
Corey Normans field goal attempts were shocking, but besides those shots, his long kicking game overall was outstanding. He has a big boot on him, and found space most, if not all the time.

Agreed, I was very impressed with him for the most part. Definitely my 1st pick to replace Lockyer next year so far.

Re: Re: Round 14 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussio

Kaz said:
Remember we didn't have the ball for 15 mins & that's when they scored.

^^^^ this.

That last 20 just took whatever joy I'd gained from the result. I spose it was to be expected - so many new faces in the side and some make-shift changes meant our defence was always going to be vulnerable and to lose Carlaw early didn't help matters.

Still I'm glad we got the two points, don't feel like we deserve it, felt a draw would have been the right result but credit to them for holding in and taking the game at the end.

Out of all our players I was pleased with Hoffy, Moylan, Beale, Norman, Wallace, Macca, Reed and Hala. Was just disappointed with Norman and Wallace with 30mins to go they tried to pull off those magic plays instead of getting into the arm wrestle. That period really hurt us and I hope Griffin has a word to them.

How awesome is Papalli for the Raiders? Thank god he's a Qlder!

I wasn't too impressed with Reed, his defence was pretty bad at lock.

Alec said:
I wasn't too impressed with Reed, his defence was pretty bad at lock.

Yes his defence was shocking but it was to be expected.

I thought Wallace and Norman played well. I've gotta say though, those field goals from Norman weren't really his fault. He was under immense pressure from a charging raiders defence on both, and on the second shot he received a shocking pass from dummy half which gave the raiders defence a few metres closer to him. I think a raider might have gotten a hand to it too. Anyway, I think they both really stood up a level, they also linked and combined well which is promising for 2012!

Glenn played great at captain. Every time the camera was on him he was screaming things to the boys, pumping people up, pumping the crowd up. He should be proud.

I was really impressed with Hala. That hit up from the kick off where he steam rolled Picker, then ran about 10m with Fensom hanging off him was fantastic. He was not lazy at all, and he really put in and showed some great stamina for such a big fella which is two things that he has been questioned about being his weakness. 105m and 15 tackles with 0 missed, he was fantastic and should be proud too.

I thought Reed played really well at lock. Did he play 80 minutes, it looked like it? He fell off some easy tackles but he was great in attack. He got his hands on the ball heaps, which he doesn't get the opportunity to do in the centres and he relished the opportunity. He has really shown some fantastic attack in the last month for someone who is known to just be a solid player with great defence. A transition to the back row in the future could definitely be on the cards as has been mentioned lately, although unlikely with the immense quality and depth of our back row at full strength. If Hodges is back next week i don't think it would hurt to leave him there until Gillett returns in a fortnight, although we might need his defence in the centres against the Dragons.

I thought Macca was really good and we lost our momentum when he went off which would explain why he was put back on nearly straight away. His defence is just so underrated by most Broncos supporters. I was pulling my hair out on a few occasions when he got the ball knocked from his hands at dummy half, and that terrible terrible pass to Norman for his second field goal attempt which completely ruined the opportunity.

Hoffman was great at fullback as always. I think a lot of us forgot how well and consistent he was for us when he got injured. No disrespect to Beale, but Hoffman is just a class above.

Speaking of Beale, he went alright in the centres. Showed some good footwork and was really unlucky to get taken down a few metres from the try line after that break Norman made. I thought they did great to get that far though! Norman drew in the fullback and didn't freak out, put a beautiful pass right onto the chest of Beale at speed. Just unlucky that Robinson was right on Beale's tail the entire time.

Thought I would give Moylan a mention too. He had a good debut and will be a good replacement for Kemp as a depth back.

That first half was probably one of the better halves of footy we have played all year considering who we were missing. All of the young fellas really stood up and gave the raiders a thrashing. Although that 20 odd minutes after half time was shocking. Not all that surprising though that such a depleted and inexperienced team could continue it's dominance for the 80.

Very happy with the first 60. I didn't expect us to win this one, so I was pretty happy up to there.

That last 20 though. Wow. We didn't touch the ball for so long because our defense was terrible. Horrible football.

Overall, happy to get the 2.

Are people seriously thinking Canberra were going to beat us? Like.. really?

Or is it just an excuse so they don't have to face the absolute pathetic balls up our future players made today?

Wallace kept that team together today, and when he needed to step back there was no one to fill the hole.

Norman is hopeless under pressure at both kicking and decision making, he's a far, far better player in the 6 jersey though. We lacked in the halves, even when our halves were the best on field. [icon_confu

I disagree Nashy. I thought our halves were great. Only a few things you could pick them up on like those short kicks that they were putting in behind the line when we should have just been nailing it into the corner and keeping Canberra down their half. Their kicking was good too, but those few dodgy kicks, and the field goals where they were under pressure, not many NRL players would have made a good kick out of them with the amount of pressure that was on them.

Plenty of players wouldn't have just stopped, turned around, and surrendered in a tackle like Norman did on a few occasions. He didn't know what was going on around him, when it was clear Wallace needed someone else to take the reigns.

I'm not saying that it s a bad thing, he's bloody young. I'm just pointing out the need, that something needs to be done in that area.

Kenny is hopeless in attack, absolutely hopeless. Bend the line? Forget it.

I know he was injured early, but Carlaws few runs looked promising again. I don't know what people have against him. Sure, he was a pretty boy douche when he played for us years ago, but give the bloke a break.

I think they played really well. But to let a team as useless as Canberra come back from 24 - 0, to be 24 all in Golden Point is absolutely not acceptable. I can't believe people seem to be okay with that.

You really do mark Norman and most other youngsters harshly IMO Nashy. [icon_shru

I haven't actually talked down about him. I think he's far better player in the 6 jersey, and he should be there once Lockyer leaves.

I'm not going to kiss his ass just because he's young. I understand WHY some of his decisions are wrong, etc. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to discuss them.

All I'm saying is that we need someone else there, not replacing him, to help guise the team. I think Baptise needs to be given that chance and drop Macca.

Despite the leg up by the refs, those last 15 minutes were unacceptable.
Having said that, youth definitely played a role. They thought they were home... Norman with that grubber was being way too cocky, then Macca loses the ball his usual f*cked up way, and that bs knock on call, both leading to Raiders tries, was enough to make the Raiders believe and instill doubt in our boys minds.
It was still a win I certainly didn't count on at the start of the season!

Norman's kicking game was very good, his passing certainly was on par, and although he got caught a few times with the ball in hand, his running game was okay. Can't really blame him for those field goal attempts, given how far and quickly he needed to kick, especially the second one with that horrible service from Macca.

Macca played the best 40 minutes I've seen him play, but left that form in the sheds at half time, returning to his crappiest best in the second half. How on earth does he still lose the ball like that, by Tongue of all people! Baptiste makes him look like a tortoise, looks sharp, and his dummy half service is so much better, the comparison is embarrassing for Macca. I also like the way he hits well in defense, but he obviously needs to build up his stamina to last longer on the field.

Glenn lead by example, scoring a fantastic try through some pretty soft defense. Reed did his best, but was clearly spent halfway through the second half, and too bad Carlaw got injured, because he was doing a splendid job in the second row. Lui improved massively from his last game and ran the ball well, but is still a bit of a liability in defense.

I don't know why people rate Anderson so poorly, but with Hala he was definitely the best prop for us. Dodds still needs to hit the line harder, although continues to show excellent technique in defense, and Kenny... Well, he's not much more than a pillow nowadays, is he?

In the backs, Hoffman is an absolute shining beacon of class, speed and ability. I thought Gagai and Moylan were pretty good and handled the stuff thrown at them pretty well, even though Gagai did look out of sorts in those 2 Crocker moments (try and no try). The bounce of the ball didn't help him at all.
Copley looks much more at home on the left center position than the right and had a good game, pretty much eliminating the Raiders biggest threat imo (Ferguson), Beale wasn't bad, although he lost the battle to Crocker imo. Nice try still.

Last but not least, Wallace was excellent, by far the best on the park imo, and throughly deserved that winning field goal. He's stepping up and starting to show good signs of a combination with Norman, while the left side attack, especially him and Glenn, looks to be getting more and more into synch.

3- Wallace
2- Hoffman
1- Glenn

Active Now

• Emanon
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • thenry
  • Robboi_321
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • Brocko
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.