[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, that's what we are sorely missing.... the sneaky 70th minute outside back interchange that worked so well for us in 2020.

Ah yes, that's what we are sorely missing.... the sneaky 70th minute outside back interchange that worked so well for us in 2020.

Bennett uses it frequently

Bellamy has used it in the past (especially with Paps/Hynes)

and we certainly could have used a back on the bench in the last game we played since we lost 2 outside backs to concussion

Bennett uses it frequently

Bellamy has used it in the past (especially with Paps/Hynes)

and we certainly could have used a back on the bench in the last game we played since we lost 2 outside backs to concussion

Both these coaches use an outside back on the bench as a utility, they don't carry a second hooker in the 14 like we are here. (I don't count Brandon Smith because he is more forward than hooker)

Outside back on the bench for insurance is nothing new, but devoting 2 spots of your 4 man bench to players who may not be needed at all doesn't seem particularly bright.

Oates is the perfect bench player who could cover both outside backs if needed and put some minutes in the forwards.

Really shows the importance of having an 80 minute hooker nowadays.

there are very few 80 minute hookers left in the game (especially with the 6 again rule) ... Melbourne don't even have one

there are very few 80 minute hookers left in the game (especially with the 6 again rule) ... Melbourne don't even have one

I'd classify Grant an 80 min hooker when he is healthy.

Hodgson too.................

Both these coaches use an outside back on the bench as a utility, they don't carry a second hooker in the 14 like we are here. (I don't count Brandon Smith because he is more forward than hooker)

Outside back on the bench for insurance is nothing new, but devoting 2 spots of your 4 man bench to players who may not be needed at all doesn't seem particularly bright.

Oates is the perfect bench player who could cover both outside backs if needed and put some minutes in the forwards.

Maybe the idea is to use Oates as a utility and Arthars as a backup for Oates. I would still rather have Bullemor.

I'd classify Grant an 80 min hooker when he is healthy.

Hodgson too.................

I wouldn't class either Grant or Smith as 80 minute hookers, although Grant can play that if necessary. he is just far far less effective if he does.

but for argument's sake let's say you count Grant and Hodgson as 80 minute hookers, along with Macca and Cook. that 4 out of 16 teams that have them

Maybe the idea is to use Oates as a utility and Arthars as a backup for Oates. I would still rather have Bullemor.
Um ,why wouldn't arthars be back up for Staggs who would almost definitely not play the full 80.

I see this as a positive. One high-intensity session and a couple of them go down? That shows how poor our conditioning is. This is the time of year Bennett used to put the team through a second pre-season (technically, just after Origin but we're only supplying 1 or 2 players this year). The team will have heavy legs for the next month but should be physically peaking for our run home to the premiership. I mean, spoon avoidance.
We were getting 50 points put on us without heavy legs. What does this mean for the next month?

Um ,why wouldn't arthars be back up for Staggs who would almost definitely not play the full 80.
Last time I looked at Kevvie's notes he had Staggs down for 80, but double underlined. Not sure what that means, but I reckon you might be onto something. Contingencies R US.

I wouldn't class either Grant or Smith as 80 minute hookers, although Grant can play that if necessary. he is just far far less effective if he does.

but for argument's sake let's say you count Grant and Hodgson as 80 minute hookers, along with Macca and Cook. that 4 out of 16 teams that have them

Agreed - hence the importance!

Not quite.

Both Braileys play 80 minutes, Mahoney plays 80 when fully fit, even Korosau regularly plays 80 and only gets a spell as a luxury interchange given Penrith dominate so often. Technically even Turpin has played the full 80 more often than not. Then you have McCinnes who is out currently but was also an 80 minute player.

So you're realistically talking about more than half the competition who have 80 minute Dummy Halves, although some are obviously much better at it than others obviously.

but for argument's sake let's say you count Grant and Hodgson as 80 minute hookers, along with Macca and Cook. that 4 out of 16 teams that have the
Mahoney regularly plays 80 minutes, so does Brailey at the Knights, Brailey at the Sharks also. Liddle has done it multiple times and Koroisau often played 80 before being injured.

I don’t think an 80 min hooker is as uncommon as you think..

Edited - Didn’t see your reply above Kooly but yes, it’s much more than 4 teams…

This. It also gives them the option of Staggs to 6, Croft bench to see how he goes.

NRLs injury page says Glenn is injured? Yay.

"There was more bad news for Brisbane with Albert Kelly, Karmichael Hunt, Alex Glenn and Brendan Piakura all reportedly suffering new injuries at a training session on Sunday."

Riki and Kennedy better come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.