[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember a pre-season boot camp, I do recall 2010 Brisbane effectively did extras because their pre-season was diabolical.

2006 was the opposite of a boot-camp. During one of the bye week Bennett told them to all go on holidays with some of the players going overseas. It led to a six week losing streak but it's also credited for their strong run home since they weren't the walking wounded like they had been in previous campaigns.
Previous years also didn't have Lockyer, Hodges and Berrigan playing the best footy of their career all at the same time. I'm sure the break helped a bit, but if it wasn't for those guys finding the perfect purple patch of form, it probably wouldn't have mattered. I think they tried the break again in later seasons and it never really had the same impact afterwards.

Previous years also didn't have Lockyer, Hodges and Berrigan playing the best footy of their career all at the same time. I'm sure the break helped a bit, but if it wasn't for those guys finding the perfect purple patch of form, it probably wouldn't have mattered. I think they tried the break again in later seasons and it never really had the same impact afterwards.
Hodges’ form to round out 2006 is criminally underrated by some. He was unstoppable at fullback.

Hodges’ form to round out 2006 is criminally underrated by some. He was unstoppable at fullback.
He was unstoppable in the centres earlier in the year too. Well, other than injuries, that was the only thing that could stop him.

He was unstoppable in the centres earlier in the year too. Well, other than injuries, that was the only thing that could stop him.
He just seemed to go to another level when he replaced Hunt at the back. Running 300m plus a game. Was the best form of his life I reckon.

It's a completely different set of circumstances now, but I don't think it was a coincidence the Broncos had a stronger end to the season. Berro was set to smash Renouf's try scoring record the previous year but fell off, Lockyer's form dipped after the disappointment of Origin and he suffered a rib injury against the Dragons which he didn't fully recover from and similarly Hodges had completely turned his career around only to bust his hamstring against the Panthers.

By managing their workload more effectively they were able to play better football in the back end of the season and even take advantage of teams who were beginning to lose star players to injury. The victories against Canterbury (x2), Parramatta and Newcastle come straight to mind. Melbourne to an extent as well because one of the factors in that Grand Final is that Smith suffered a hamstring injury and had to come from the field.

I don't recall them trying it again but it really was a special set of circumstances.

You know the Broncos are shit when people good on about 2006 like it was yesterday.

It was FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO.
I didn’t even get to see it, brutal how long it’s been and to be honest we needed the spoon a lot earlier then last year for a serious look into the mirror. White was so focused on corporate shit he completely dropped the ball on the main product.

**** that guy

This will be the team:

1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3. Minto
4. Michaels
5. Maranta
6. Kelly
7. Perry
8. Dodds
9. Turpin (c)
10. Csizlowski
11. Glenn
12. Meyers
13. Asiata

14. Walters
15. Robati
16. Flegler
17. Manihera

But seriously, how good is it NOT to have a game for over two weeks!
Geeeez that Maranta will be strong under the high ball

I’ve been pretty selective with the games Ive attended. Titans this year, doggies last year and I didn’t attend any games in pies first season other than the trial v the Titans where we came back from 18-0 down to just win. In Wayne’s last year I had a 2 year old so it was tricky to get to a game.

I haven’t been to lots of wins, just have attended **** all games.
I feel for you goat. I've had the enormous pleasure of attending lot's of wins including the '92 grandfinal. I've seen so many from 88 onwards and we did a lot of winning in those days. I'm sure you'll still see quite a few because we will adapt and overcome.

Not to he overly critical of Kevie's selection but shit i hope he genuinely picks our best 17 for this.

To me that means Oates on one wing and Mead on the other. I think it also means Bullemore in the squad somewhere too and Paix off the bench. I think i like the idea of an Asiata, Kennedy, Bullemore Paix bench if Flegs is starting lock.

I also hope we don't throw staggs straight into the firing line of 5/8th. Let him feel his way into it at centre or he'll be gasses after 10 minutes.

I think Corey will but they will say Isaako but he is only training on the wing cause Coates can’t and additionally Croft is in the halves and Paix is at hooker (Turpin wasn’t training, not dropped)

So something like this maybe?

1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Oates
6. Kelly
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Kennedy
11. Glenn (c)
12. Robati
13. Flegler

14. Paix
15. Bullemor
16. Riki
17. Piakura

Wowsers! This is on the assumption Lodge and TPJ are goneskis, Asiata's head hasn't re-grown, Coates is transferred to Melbourne, Carrigan's leg is still the wrong way round and Kevvie is still aiming to give no halves more than one game together.

So something like this maybe?

1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Oates
6. Kelly
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Kennedy
11. Glenn (c)
12. Robati
13. Flegler

14. Paix
15. Bullemor
16. Riki
17. Piakura

Wowsers! This is on the assumption Lodge and TPJ are goneskis, Asiata's head hasn't re-grown, Coates is transferred to Melbourne, Carrigan's leg is still the wrong way round and Kevvie is still aiming to give no halves more than one game together.
So we’ll still get Glenn’s usual 40 run metres. Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • mrtij
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Allo
  • Manifesto
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Tmac
  • Morkel
  • broncsgoat
  • Tim K
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.