[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

How good is the Gamble/Staggs combo.

Gamble is such a trash talking **** and I love it. We need the kind of mongrel that gets in the other teams head..but doesnt spend half the year suspended.

I don't know what game you were watching, but he was not ordinary today.
It does make you think that he might have decided BEFORE the game that Glenn had a bad game!

TC Robocop had some really good touches especially that ball to Staggs that led to our second try. Lots of effort today and no bad players. I can't think of any poor performers.

Firstly LEARN TO FIND THE GRASS WITH YOUR KICKS!! The crossfield chip for your winger/centre isn't working. Get the ball in goal and find a bloody repeat set. It's such a fu**ing pressure release for the opposition just putting up that crossfield kick for them to eat up.

Plenty of positives though, you wouldn't know staggs has just come back from an ACL. He's probably worth 6 points every game to be fair.

I think Kennedy belongs in our full strength lineup, he gets throguh work and makes very few errors.

Issako and Oates should be our wingers, they're both safer while more dangerous then Coates.

He's no world beater but Gamble is all heart and soul. Deserves an extension and probably a bit of an upgrade. I love how hard Kobe hits, i hope we hold onto him even if only for depth.

Payne has has potential to be the greatest forward the game has seen.

Hate to end on a negative but good chance we come out next round and serve up absolute rubbish again. Seems to be how it goes.
Absolutely guaranteed 2 points next round. Have as much as you can because it's certain, 4 points from this and the next round. In fact, we won't concede points, I'm totally confident.

Absolutely guaranteed 2 points next round. Have as much as you can because it's certain, 4 points from this and the next round. In fact, we won't concede points, I'm totally confident.
The Dragons have the bye too, but it’s looking like they’ll suffer a hefty loss regardless 🍆🤣

Spoon update

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    47 KB · Views: 101
Just watched that second Sharks try and Staggs needs his arse seriously smacked. Made absolutely no effort to rejoin the action simply jogging along and had he tried to chase he'd have almost certainly stopped the try.

I thought it was a spirited win for the Broncos.

It was the type of game they needed. A free flowing game where Cummins allowed the game to flow and wasn't as vigilant on forward passes or second efforts in the ruck.

It felt like a case of deja vu during the opening exchanges. Brisbane were competing well, but they were unlucky not to have the interference by Ronaldo Mulitalo paid and then moments later there's a miscommunication at dummy half which saw Croft lose it cold and automatically result in a try to Cronulla.

That whole passage just seemed business as usual where yes it was an awful call but of course Brisbane put themselves in that situation to begin with. Fortunately for the officials, Katoa never really had control of the ball which allowed them to call it back on a technicality. Immediately my first thought was a no-try decision against Kaine Manihera way back in 2008 against the Dragons. In that case I believe the work around was a refs call and he was able to come to some technical ruling the video referee couldn't.

I thought Brisbane did well to hit back after going 6-0. I could live with that Tolman try, a try off a ricochet after four repeat sets is a heart-breaker but an acceptable defensive lap. The key was that that they didn't just completely crumble and they were able to score the next two tries. The try to Niu in particular was a highlight with Robati getting to demonstrate some of those skills he utilises time from time down the Seagulls right edge and Staggs putting himself in the right position to gather the pass while in stride and sum the situation up perfectly.

They did all that good-work and even repelled the Sharks only to let themselves down right on the edge of half-time. Truth is they conceded that try as soon as they let Ronaldo not only get the ball out of the in-goal but make a half-break. They were on the back-foot the entire set, and Muliatlo has some form for performing some freakish plays at Suncorp.

I thought the try to Bullemor was a good reward for him. He was constantly running supports all afternoon only to get over-looked time and time again. Then Haas produces a rare pass and Bullemor finally got the reward he deserved. Talk about your 1% plays, there it is there and I hope Brisbane continue to persevere with him.

I thought Kennedy had a much better second stint than his first. He was terribly unlucky not to have a try assist in what was a huge moment in the game. Instead the Sharks pull the Broncos pants down and go the length to score. I thought it was about to get ugly for the Broncos and thought Walters had made one of the worst subs of his career when he brought Arthars on. Staggs looked like he still had a lot left in the tank when he was subbed and while I get the precaution, I didn't see any signs of fatigue.

It was all Cronulla at this stage but Brisbane started winning the moments. The effort from Gamble to stop Ramien was huge and it's a real part of his game. He lives for those plays and it's what got him his chance this season following the Northern Territory game against the Eels. From the Northern Territory he took a red eye to Cairns and came up with a huge try-saver in the Devils 1 point victory over the Pride.

That led straight to the Niu try which maybe his break-out moment before I believe Kennedy came up with that big chase on Johnson to force the drop out. Two huge moments capped off by lovely hands from Niu and Arthars capped off his stint with a try. In the end it worked out kind of perfectly because Arthars copped a head-knock allowing Staggs to come on and come up with two big plays on his own.

Just when the game appeared to end on an anti-climax with neither team able to take their chances, Payne Haas came up with a phenomenal effort. The crazy thing is, this should be something that should go down in club folklore but Haas has done this several times now it really was not a shock at all. In fact Brisbane only made the 8 because of an effort he made on Tuivasa-Sheck in the Broncos draw.

All in all a nice morale boosting win after what had been a pretty miserable week with the weather. There's nothing better than a sunny Suncorp Stadium and I hope it's something we see more of in the coming years.

I thought it was a spirited win for the Broncos.

It was the type of game they needed. A free flowing game where Cummins allowed the game to flow and wasn't as vigilant on forward passes or second efforts in the ruck.

It felt like a case of deja vu during the opening exchanges. Brisbane were competing well, but they were unlucky not to have the interference by Ronaldo Mulitalo paid and then moments later there's a miscommunication at dummy half which saw Croft lose it cold and automatically result in a try to Cronulla.

That whole passage just seemed business as usual where yes it was an awful call but of course Brisbane put themselves in that situation to begin with. Fortunately for the officials, Katoa never really had control of the ball which allowed them to call it back on a technicality. Immediately my first thought was a no-try decision against Kaine Manihera way back in 2008 against the Dragons. In that case I believe the work around was a refs call and he was able to come to some technical ruling the video referee couldn't.

I thought Brisbane did well to hit back after going 6-0. I could live with that Tolman try, a try off a ricochet after four repeat sets is a heart-breaker but an acceptable defensive lap. The key was that that they didn't just completely crumble and they were able to score the next two tries. The try to Niu in particular was a highlight with Robati getting to demonstrate some of those skills he utilises time from time down the Seagulls right edge and Staggs putting himself in the right position to gather the pass while in stride and sum the situation up perfectly.

They did all that good-work and even repelled the Sharks only to let themselves down right on the edge of half-time. Truth is they conceded that try as soon as they let Ronaldo not only get the ball out of the in-goal but make a half-break. They were on the back-foot the entire set, and Muliatlo has some form for performing some freakish plays at Suncorp.

I thought the try to Bullemor was a good reward for him. He was constantly running supports all afternoon only to get over-looked time and time again. Then Haas produces a rare pass and Bullemor finally got the reward he deserved. Talk about your 1% plays, there it is there and I hope Brisbane continue to persevere with him.

I thought Kennedy had a much better second stint than his first. He was terribly unlucky not to have a try assist in what was a huge moment in the game. Instead the Sharks pull the Broncos pants down and go the length to score. I thought it was about to get ugly for the Broncos and thought Walters had made one of the worst subs of his career when he brought Arthars on. Staggs looked like he still had a lot left in the tank when he was subbed and while I get the precaution, I didn't see any signs of fatigue.

It was all Cronulla at this stage but Brisbane started winning the moments. The effort from Gamble to stop Ramien was huge and it's a real part of his game. He lives for those plays and it's what got him his chance this season following the Northern Territory game against the Eels. From the Northern Territory he took a red eye to Cairns and came up with a huge try-saver in the Devils 1 point victory over the Pride.

That led straight to the Niu try which maybe his break-out moment before I believe Kennedy came up with that big chase on Johnson to force the drop out. Two huge moments capped off by lovely hands from Niu and Arthars capped off his stint with a try. In the end it worked out kind of perfectly because Arthars copped a head-knock allowing Staggs to come on and come up with two big plays on his own.

Just when the game appeared to end on an anti-climax with neither team able to take their chances, Payne Haas came up with a phenomenal effort. The crazy thing is, this should be something that should go down in club folklore but Haas has done this several times now it really was not a shock at all. In fact Brisbane only made the 8 because of an effort he made on Tuivasa-Sheck in the Broncos draw.

All in all a nice morale boosting win after what had been a pretty miserable week with the weather. There's nothing better than a sunny Suncorp Stadium and I hope it's something we see more of in the coming years.
I was furious at Kev when he took Staggs off. Not because he subbed him off, fair enough - first game back and easing him in. It was because it was basically at the exact same time Haas came off.

Why would you bring off your best 2 players with the game on the line? Surely he could’ve planned that better. Sharks spanked us during that time but a good effort from Arthurs tipped it back in our favour and Haas came back on just in time. Staggs got his unplanned second stint and the 2 of them went a long way to upholding the victory.

Very ordinary from Kev in an otherwise seemingly well coached game.

I don't know what game you were watching, but he was not ordinary today.
If missing 6 tackles isn’t an ordinary game what is? I suppose it’s an improvement from last start where he missed 8...

If missing 6 tackles isn’t an ordinary game what is? I suppose it’s an improvement from last start where he missed 8...
Well, as I pointed out to you and as has it repeatedly explained to me that stats don't mean very much. It's possible to have one bad stat yet still have a stellar game. Imagine a player having two handling errors and a kick out on the full yet he scores two tries and sets up three others. It happens. I saw one of those missed tackles and yes, he didn't hit and stick but he forced the attacker sideways into two more defenders who put the attacker on his back. It still counts as a miss but only on paper was it poor.

80 minutes, 13 carries, 111 metres, 8 metres per carry, one try, one line break, one off-load, zero errors.

Yep he was a bit down in defence, 25 tackles, 6 missed, but not too bad a game for a 32 yo and certainly not an ordinary game compared to what he has been showing.

Well, as I pointed out to you and as has it repeatedly explained to me that stats don't mean very much. It's possible to have one bad stat yet still have a stellar game. Imagine a player having two handling errors and a kick out on the full yet he scores two tries and sets up three others. It happens. I saw one of those missed tackles and yes, he didn't hit and stick but he forced the attacker sideways into two more defenders who put the attacker on his back. It still counts as a miss but only on paper was it poor.
You don’t need to explain to me how stats work. I thought he was ordinary, against a better side he might’ve missed double that.

80 minutes, 13 carries, 111 metres, 8 metres per carry, one try, one line break, one off-load, zero errors.

Yep he was a bit down in defence, 25 tackles, 6 missed, but not too bad a game for a 32 yo and certainly not an ordinary game compared to what he has been showing.
I wasn’t able to watch the game, so this is a question not a statement.

Is Glenn only getting a pass mark because his standard output, by and large, is so fucking terrible (I have watched every other game for as long back as I can remember)? I mean, those stats seem fine (without being anything exceptional), but as a very seasoned SRF, it is pretty fair to say that should be the baseline, not the outlier.

For mine, he’s a lot 2018-2020 Boyd. People would remark he’d done well simply because he hadn’t had an absolute Barry.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.