[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

I thought for sure Niu would get tackled short and drop the ball when he made contact with the ground.

It happens so often that a player will lose control of the ball when they're tackled whilst sprinting.

I was a little disappointed in Niu top speed... maybe he's carrying a bit of weight (spent the preseason at center), maybe he was tiring given he's not all that experienced in NRL or maybe it was the heavy training sessions that were catching up to them.

I thought the team looked very fatigued at times throughout the game so possibly it was the last one.
I actually thought he consciously slowed a step or two and started to celebrate (via a big smile) a little before he got grabbed and realised someone was right behind him.

This is not a criticism rather an observation, as he’s still just a rookie with lots to learn. But it did almost cost him a try, and a good solo one at that.

God, I so badly want this to be true.

I did watch this game with a Sharks fan mind you, and he unintentionally somewhat burst my bubble when he voiced his frustration that not only had the Sharks dropped a game to us, they've also dropped one to the Bulldogs this year, so I'm inclined to not want to get too carried away with this one just yet because the Sharks may not be quite the barometer of success to measure ourselves against.
I thought the sharks looked pretty good in the game. They forced 5 dropouts and had 60% possession in the first half, also completed at over 80% for the game.

Speaking to a sharks fan, who is on the sharks equivalent to BHQ (and no not the LU version), and they mentioned that Fitzgibbon is apparently doing a fair bit of coaching in addition to his roosters duties.

Apparently he's along the lines of 6am-6pm is with the roosters, but outside of that he can do what he wants... and I noticed a few things with the sharks that could be showing some of his influences. The most notable yesterday was almost all of their forwards were constantly looking for their front on hitups, to the point where they were almost surrendering in the tackle. They would hit the line and instantly drop to their knees looking for a quick ptb.

Sharks don't typically play that tactical style. They're a little like us in that they don't wrestle a whole lot, their middle defence is pretty loose, and they like to bash and barge rather than purposely look for quick ptb's (which is a storm tactic).

I don't think it should just be thrown off that the broncos won because the sharks were poor... I've been saying all year that broncos play better when we're at home (we have 5 left), and we play well against equivalent opponents. That was our 3rd win out of 7 games against teams outside the top 6... we have 6 games out of the remaining 8 against teams outside the top 6.

I don't think we can make the 8, but I have us winning a few more for the run home... pending injuries, suspensions, etc.

How good was Tesi sniffing around for offloads yesterday? Was great to see. Looked disappointed when he didn't get one, but kept coming back like a little puppy trying to play fetch. Was great to have that kind of attitude at the back.

I actually thought he consciously slowed a step or two and started to celebrate (via a big smile) a little before he got grabbed and realised someone was right behind him.

This is not a criticism rather an observation, as he’s still just a rookie with lots to learn. But it did almost cost him a try, and a good solo one at that.
I think he was definitely thinking about the grounding... he was going as fast as he could but Ronaldo was bearing down on him so he knew he was going to get tackled short of the line.

What he did well was know that momentum would get him into the in goal and perhaps he did slow a little (as you suggest) to brace himself for the contact in the tackle and with the ground.

The grounding was brilliant when you think about it... keeping the ball up off the ground, maintaining control in the collision and grounding over the line with his body all over the place

How much money did we have sitting on the sideline/already moved on mid season yesterday?

I'd love to know the value of the 17 blokes we fielded.

Oates and croft probably bump it up a bit.

That's exactly what happened. Reminded me of Chris Sandow a few years back. Certainly wiped the smile of his face quickly🤣

He just didn't have the legs , has great acceleration but his top speed is a little lacking.

I think he was definitely thinking about the grounding... he was going as fast as he could but Ronaldo was bearing down on him so he knew he was going to get tackled short of the line.

What he did well was know that momentum would get him into the in goal and perhaps he did slow a little (as you suggest) to brace himself for the contact in the tackle and with the ground.

The grounding was brilliant when you think about it... keeping the ball up off the ground, maintaining control in the collision and grounding over the line with his body all over the place
Reminded me just a tad of that Berrigan try.

I thought the same.......he almost Bradburied it, which tbh...is a concern. It seems typical of this team.....no-one knows how to go 110%...all the way.

If Isaako's boot wasn't out of order we'd have won even more comfortably. I hope he comes good again soon and can accept his position is wing (for now).

I think we should stick with Isaako Oates on the wing. Isaako used to come in off the wing as much as Coates does but it can be fixed with coaching and trust in their team mates.
Two from the sideline barely missing and still, fault is found.

Two from the sideline barely missing and still, fault is found.
Yeah. He usually nails those though. I'm just a little worried he's out of sorts on the wing\ at the Broncos.
Hasn't had a lot of practice in games lately either i guess.

I'm keen for Kev to stick with this teamlist. Get some stability going.

Aside from all the insightful comments made on the weekends game I'd just like to add that for me the most obvious observation was the team looked organised. Despite last minute changes to the team they all seemed to me to know what the gameplan was. They all knew what they were doing in both attack and defence. I'm quite confident now that Kevvie will use the break to build on this further and we should be even better come the Tigers game.

I hope we're keeping Hetherington. He reminds me of a young Peter Ryan and will only get better with more game time.

Aside from all the insightful comments made on the weekends game I'd just like to add that for me the most obvious observation was the team looked organised. Despite last minute changes to the team they all seemed to me to know what the gameplan was. They all knew what they were doing in both attack and defence. I'm quite confident now that Kevvie will use the break to build on this further and we should be even better come the Tigers game.

I hope we're keeping Hetherington. He reminds me of a young Peter Ryan and will only get better with more game time.
I’d like the main focus to still be defence work though. We still missed 37 tackles and Cronulla made 8 line breaks. Against a top side that’s curtains for us.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Big Del
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.