Round 16 - Broncos vs Sharks - Post Match Discussion

The difference tonight was defence under the high ball. FFS eyes must be on the ball when attempting to defuse a bomb. It can happen,and you can be unlucky, but this needs to be addressed, otherwise this is every teams attack template.

Even while were busily racking up points you could see that our defensive line was shit.

Take away the amount of possession we had and didn't take long to open up.

Fucken pathetic performance.

No question about it, there are a lot of Broncos looking in the mirror tonight. This is our lowest point since Canberra in 2010.

Also, I can't stand the sight of Paul Gallen's facing any more. The whining ****.

Also, I can't stand the sight of Paul Gallen's facing any more. The whining ****.

Taking some pointers from his equally as grubby buddy Bird. Seriously, if they were on fire, you wouldn't piss on them to put it out.

I hate to drag the great man down but Hunts missed conversion was the difference in the end. Where the **** are our decent goalkickers? Can we pull an American Football and have someone on the bench JUST for that task?

They can replace Stagg, because **** knows they'll be more useful.

Last edited:
Copely was worse than Hoffman and Hoffman was really bad, he is not a 5/8.

I would hazard a guess that every-time someone runs at Hoffman within 2 meters of the line they score.

He tries to tackle their arms and upper bodies with his hands, not his body. The cat won't put his body on the line.

We continue to play on one leg. As it's been said time and time again, you can't win with one half.

Our plays are slow motion, the execution haphazard. We are limping, especially after watching the Roosters v Manly. Now there are 2 sides who have 2 halves each, each knowing how to control their space and time and use both sides of their attack creatively and effectively.

We have Hunt to do it all, and it shows 'cos we take so long to do anything except run one out too often.

Aside from that, we are soft up the middle without Parker and Macca, and weaker on the edges without Gillett. Without him, our right hand side was woeful at times, Hodges in particular.

At least Glenn got a bit of his mojo back and that play with Hunt for the try was something we ought have been doing on both sides all over the field.

But the loss? Just basic, simple mistakes and no ideas really, no killer instinct.

I thought the 22-0 score line at one point, was flattering for us. Not because we didn't do a good job of taking advantage of the Sharks mistakes, but because our defensive line was an absolute disgrace from word go, and only said mistakes saved us from earlier points from them.
I don't think there was a set the Sharks didn't march down the field into our half easily during the whole game.

Like last week, our ruck defense was very poor, but our line speed was horrible from the start of the game, and never lifted. This team has no killer instinct and only lifts against the better teams. That is absolutely a continuous trend under Griffin's reign and a true reflection of his nonchalant character!

This was really a perfect storm coming, with the Sharks getting most of their troops back on the paddock, especially both halves. Missing Macca, Parker and Gillett also made a lot of difference, because we probably wouldn't have had Stagg, Lowrie and Wallace all on the field at the same time, getting mauled by the Sharks pack, who having nothing to lose, were risking their hand and offloading at will.

Having said that, were it not for the ref's blunders, we still wouldn't have lost this game despite all of the above.

Even the Sharks were bound to eventually score after 15 minutes of continuous possession, and that was undoubtedly gifted to them by that spastic pink **** named Badger with several calls keeping their momentum going.
I can live with the Carney call, because the tackle was a bit low (legs), and it's consistent with how these situations have been ruled, but Gordon pushing the ball dead and still earning a repeat set, the ridiculous advantage ruling after 4 passes across the width of the field, the tackles on Copley in mid-air, etc... none were 50/50 situations, they were pretty clear!

Of course, the commentators (including Wally showing his true colours again) just ignored it, because the Sharks needed a bit of "luck" after 6 weeks eating nothing but doughnuts...

But again, if we had defended properly, with good line speed and wrapping the ball up, the Sharks would never have gotten to the position of getting all those repeat sets. They did have to start again from their own line after each try they scored... just saying!

Thaiday was very good in my opinion btw. He didn't have many hit-ups, because he passed the ball several times (good decisions too) the rare times we actually had the ball, but also because he worked his arse off (45 tackles in 50 odd minutes) and was the best defender we had on the park by far!

Hunt was magnificent, McGuire didn't disappoint, Granville definitely deserves a shot in the full strength 17, but the difference in the ruck defense is very noticeable when Macca isn't there. Barba was involved, too bad about his dropped bomb. Hala scored 2 easy tries, but didn't impress me and Hannant wasn't too bad either. Oates and Glenn did well, as did Reed and Vidot.

Lowrie, Stagg, Wallace and Hodgo were the worst on the field, and poor Copley probably worked himself out of Origin 3, although he was quite unlucky and is a much better centre than winger.

To finish on a positive note, it would not surprise me at all if we do a job on Penrith next game, especially if we get our troops back!

Last edited:
Yes our defence was poor in the 25 minute period without thaiday/moose/hannant. but it's understandable when down so many key players. the thing that killed us apart from every decision from the refs being wrong was that the play the ball was ridiculously quick (not because we were poor in the wrestle but because the refs were going instant held calls) with a large 10 metres this meant it they were going end to end.

It's important to note that we were getting close to the same meterage with our forwards. people criticise hoggman for his playmaking and then in the next sentence criticise thaiday for a lack of hit ups. thaiday and when he was fit parker play a lot of first receiver for us which is what makes the single half thing work. 9/10 times thaiday passed we made more metres because of it.

Don't see why people are suddenly calling for hooks head. the reason our defence wasn't up to scratch was because of injuries to key players and dodgy reffing. nothing else caused our loss. Considering we scored 22 ppoints and they only turned us back from their lines once there is nothing wrong with our attack. Griffin ball works fine if you have hard running forwards and some creative players which we currently do. Also did people not notice us spreading it a little wider earlier? yes the forwards weren't passing at the line much but when we are already making the metres why would we? it just risks dropped balls.

Haven't read any of this thread, but I assume I'm beating a dead horse when I say..

Hoffman is garbage, it's June 30 in 2 days, can we just release him to the Dogs now?
Barba played shit, lose some weight.
Hunt needs a better half next to him.
Stagg is the shittest Bronco in history.
Lowrie is poo.
Wallace is poo.
Oates played poo.

I am so glad I was at a party and didn't see the game. They had the game on away from the party I checked when we were up 22-0, thought yewww, went hunting for a beverage later and to inspect the spoils of a thrashing and see playersshakimg hands at 24-22.

Usually I'd be the one all down.

Just avoid the media. Positive is we actually started the way we should have. Yes it sucks but taken in isolation doesn't tell the tale of how this season is going.

Bye period to let it simmer then a perfect game against a form side, we will lift for that.

This team has proven it has enormous self belief from round 1, turning around the Warriors trial loss and those heart breakers against the Roosters and Souths

Haven't read any of this thread, but I assume I'm beating a dead horse when I say..

Hoffman is garbage, it's June 30 in 2 days, can we just release him to the Dogs now?
Barba played shit, lose some weight.
Hunt needs a better half next to him.
Stagg is the shittest Bronco in history.
Lowrie is poo.
Wallace is poo.
Oates played poo.

all those poos come from griffins arse of a game plan

Missing Macca, Parker and Gillett also made a lot of difference, because we probably wouldn't have had Stagg, Lowrie and Wallace all on the field at the same time, getting mauled by the Sharks pack, who having nothing to lose, were risking their hand and offloading at will.

Aye, it was extreme negligence on Hook's behalf to have those three on at the same time.

Imagine if Hoffman makes that final play, Hunt gets 3 Dally M points and probably goes top of the count. Not only does he stuff up our playmaking, he may end up costing our one amazing playmaker the Dally M.

We really lost that game because of our inability to handle Carneys excellent high balls and the ferocity with which Cronulla contested them. This was a direct contrast to our poor bombing effort. What was really dissapointing was the ease with which Cronulla worked their up the field which gave Carney the chance to put those kicks on us. Our kick offs were too short which gave them around 10 metres extra to start with, then they just rolled through us. Although Hunt was great again ,we just can't continue to rely on him to keep manufacturing all the points. We are still shackled with Hoffman and Reed who are really not an attacking threat and never will be.

In Copleys defense, Will Chambers has played worse than that all season.

Copley had a shocker under the high ball. I prefer him as a centre but he is a winger for now. Our right side attack was very dysfunctional tonight. OUr defence up the middle has been pretty poor all year but our scrambling and goal line defence has saved us. It couldn't save us last night though. We really hardly touched the ball after the Sharks first try and were forever defending our own line.

That doesn't mean there aren't other ways around this(for example exploring the option of signing Cody Walker etc) nor does it mean the club couldn't have explored the option of switching hoffman to fullback and Barba to 5/8th(who has bulked up which contradicts that Milford is a certainty for 5/8th next season). Options always exist and it's a poor coach that refuses to explore them when necessary. You think the side of 2000 didn't benefit from blooding a lot of youngsters in 1999 in critical positions for long lengths of the season?

You're either thinking very short term or very long term.

Walker is signed to the Storm for this year so to play for the Broncos now would require a release, he's signed to Souths for 2015 and 2016 so he'd either need another release or he'd just play the rest of this year.

He's injured also and hasn't played in weeks so wouldn't have helped last night.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Astro
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.