Round 16 - Warriors vs. Broncos - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thaiday hasn't looked that dangerous in a very long time, needs to play second row, bench Glenn so he can HTFU and play properly again.

Thaiday hasn't looked that dangerous in a very long time, needs to play second row, bench Glenn so he can HTFU and play properly again.

He hasn't but I don't put it down to just not playing in the second row given how poor he was there last season, on form his had some better games this season at prop then he did at the back run of last season in the backrow, still it certainly couldn't hurt now we have Hannant back.

The biggest fear with this game was that last year after Warriors v Broncos produced arguably the fiercest game of the season around origin is that the Warriors and Broncos won only 1 more match for the season between them

Agree with what's been said above about Thaiday, but the dilemma is who makes way. At this point it would have to be Glenn TBH. Gillett I'm sure can play well on the left, because Thaiday should OWN that right-edge jersey. Parker can't, shouldn't, and hopefully never will be moved from the #13 because he's out-Gallening Gallen.

Hannant (fresh from no Origin) and McGuire should be the starting props, with Hala & Dodds on the bench. Or J Wallace if Dodds is going to continue with ill-timed lazy efforts.

Hodges should play. Unless he pulls up sore, or has a niggling back or leg injury, he really should play, but if there's any concerns I agree with them resting him. Remember what happened with Hayne. Played for the Eels after Origin with tight hamstrings, not only did it make him miss a month of football, but the Eels were down a player for 60-odd minutes. Can't risk that with Hodges. Missing 1 game > Missing 1 month.

I still don't want Hunt or Norman in the side, but you know they will be. My choices:

1) Anyone else, but Norman will be named.
2) Hoffman
3) Reed
4) Hodges
5) Kahu
6) Prince
7) Wallace
8) Hannant
9) McCullough
10) McGuire
11) Gillett
12) Thaiday
13) Parker

14) Anyone but Hunt
15) Glenn
16) Hala
17) Dodds
18) J Wallace

Should note I wouldn't be against moving Thaiday to the back row, I actually want to see McGuire partner Hannant in the props. I'm only really worried about his lazy defence there, but that's better than a lazy prop.

My feeling is that Origin seems to have woken Thaiday up, and about time too, and for mine, I would rather have him run at backs on the right side with Gillett on the left, and Parker up the middle where he belongs.

Putting Sammy at prop was ALWAYS a mistake and on current form, Glenn would be my choice for bench

Sammy's enthusiasm last night, for whatever period he was on was good to see again.

Looks like Norman will be FB for the rest of the season ... meh, we could do worse :sleep:

Why not play
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

With Glenn playing up the middle third. Parker's role doesn't change much as he is a workaholic anyway.

Agree RedHillGuy, Parker already plays a lot like a prop anyway, but I'd probably have Gillett at lock and keep Glenn on the left fringe...

Agree RedHillGuy, Parker already plays a lot like a prop anyway, but I'd probably have Gillett at lock and keep Glenn on the left fringe...

Sold. But it'll never happen.

You would think we would have moved past moving Parker to prop but obviously not. Gillett to move left or come off the bench to provide impact.

My preference is starting Hannant and Hala. I don't want Hala coming on second. I would like him to start and play hard till he tires before replacing him with M'Guire . For me Parker and Thaiday in the second row with Wallace at lock. Second verse, same as the first. Hala would benefit from starting both halves . With any one of Dodds,Lui or J Wallace to relieve Hannant I reckon we would have a better balance. Parker plays plenty of minutes so we could, with luck get the best out of Thaiday. He would have to aim up or risk being expendable . As for on field captaincy we could use Prince or Wallace when Thaiday is off.

The biggest fear with this game was that last year after Warriors v Broncos produced arguably the fiercest game of the season around origin is that the Warriors and Broncos won only 1 more match for the season between them
I think we will see a repeat of that intensity this time around as well , hopefully it doesn't kill both teams off , I don't know what happened with the Bronco's drop off after that.

But imo ( and a lot of people talked about that game ) that drop goal broke the Warriors.....Mclennan lost any tenuous grip he had of the dressing room and we were a disgrace.

Two things in your favor.....we play better at night , and bizarrely we play better at your home ground.

Last edited:
My preference is starting Hannant and Hala. I don't want Hala coming on second. I would like him to start and play hard till he tires before replacing him with M'Guire . For me Parker and Thaiday in the second row with Wallace at lock. Second verse, same as the first. Hala would benefit from starting both halves . With any one of Dodds,Lui or J Wallace to relieve Hannant I reckon we would have a better balance. Parker plays plenty of minutes so we could, with luck get the best out of Thaiday. He would have to aim up or risk being expendable . As for on field captaincy we could use Prince or Wallace when Thaiday is off.

5 minute in. Seriously, that's all he'd last with everyone fresh. If you're trying to emulate the Bulldogs it won't work with our squad. In fact, it didn't even work for the Bulldogs while Graham & Kasiano were out.

That's okay Morkel. I just don't believe that is true. I reckon he'd be good for 15 minutes. He's fit enough for first grade and I just cannot be convinced he could only do 5 minutes. Ffs a reserve grader could do that ! Entitled to your opinion.

That's okay Morkel. I just don't believe that is true. I reckon he'd be good for 15 minutes. He's fit enough for first grade and I just cannot be convinced he could only do 5 minutes. Ffs a reserve grader could do that ! Entitled to your opinion.

Very nice of you CF, and I'll continue to wave my flag of opinion while sitting on this high horse of mine ;)

I hope they cross Mordor without any problems.

By the way, Hala has been playing 26 mins a game ( averaged )for the last 5 games. I concede it's not starting minutes but still, I think he'd relish the chance and get better and fitter with every game. He's listed as weighing in at 113 kgs so that's the sort of heavyweight forward I'd love to see starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• john1420
  • Behold
  • Bucking Beads
  • scobie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.