PRE-GAME Round 17 - Broncos vs Panthers

Seriously, it is just sad. Post-game and this Next pre-game only has two pages or so of comments Because none of us have an answer and no one expects a win. Only a few expect even for the team to put up a fight. Dark times indeed.

Seriously, it is just sad. Post-game and this Next pre-game only has two pages or so of comments Because none of us have an answer and no one expects a win. Only a few expect even for the team to put up a fight. Dark times indeed.

I'm also sad for those players who do put up a fight,

I'm also sad for those players who do put up a fight,

Oh absolutely me too. I feel so sad for Haas, Carrigan, Dearden, Farnsworth. I even feel for Staggs too because he is giving it his all but his defense is absolute rubbish and he’s getting no help from his teammates or coaches.

Pretty much everyone else is either totally bog average or phoning it in like Fifita, Boyd and Kahu.

Oh absolutely me too. I feel so sad for Haas, Carrigan, Dearden, Farnsworth. I even feel for Staggs too because he is giving it his all but his defense is absolute rubbish and he’s getting no help from his teammates or coaches.

Pretty much everyone else is either totally bog average or phoning it in like Fifita, Boyd and Kahu.

I must be so naive to think that coaching good defence is not a set of equations from String Theory. WTF? I must be so naive to think that any coach worth his salt would not just watch how the best teams defend and then get out on the training paddock and drill, drill drill, maybe even using Matthew Elliott's piece on defence in his Game Plan segment as a good guide. Obviously, I am missing something. Wish I knew what it was.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2020/defence-taking-red-hot-roosters-to-the-next-level/

I must be so naive to think that coaching good defence is not a set of equations from String Theory. WTF? I must be so naive to think that any coach worth his salt would not just watch how the best teams defend and then get out on the training paddock and drill, drill drill, maybe even using Matthew Elliott's piece on defence in his Game Plan segment as a good guide. Obviously, I am missing something. Wish I knew what it was.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2020/defence-taking-red-hot-roosters-to-the-next-level/
If it were easy don't you think Matt Elliot would be coaching first grade himself? The story surrounding his sacking from Panthers don't paint a very flattering picture of the guy.

I do think the rest of this year should be viewed as a trial for whoever remains fit enough to get on the field for next year. So next week:

1. Boyd
2. Coates
3. Arthars
4. Farnworth
5. Kennar
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Luke
10. Teo
11. Oates
12. Riki
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Fifita
17. Bullemor

It’s not just as simple as training drills and rote learning, that is only part of the equation.

At this level of competition the mental side is just as important. Each side lifts the same weights, has the same diets and trains similar hours with similar 17 body shapes available to put on the field.

At the moment our boys are beaten before kickoff due to the lowest level in confidence this club has ever seen, a lack of motivation, a mental and emotional degradation from Seibs reign as coach and no clarity about the future of who will be coach or which of their teammates will even be at the club.

Gentle can run 24/7 defensive drills for the next 4 weeks but until the 17 players collectively buy in to the mental side of it we will continue to be blown off the park. Most of the misses last night were due to desire and effort.

I do concede that defence is a weak part of Staggs game but i don’t think its purely technical...

It’s not just as simple as training drills and rote learning, that is only part of the equation.

At this level of competition the mental side is just as important. Each side lifts the same weights, has the same diets and trains similar hours with similar 17 body shapes available to put on the field.

At the moment our boys are beaten before kickoff due to the lowest level in confidence this club has ever seen, a lack of motivation, a mental and emotional degradation from Seibs reign as coach and no clarity about the future of who will be coach or which of their teammates will even be at the club.

Gentle can run 24/7 defensive drills for the next 4 weeks but until the 17 players collectively buy in to the mental side of it we will continue to be blown off the park. Most of the misses last night were due to desire and effort.

I do concede that defence is a weak part of Staggs game but i don’t think its purely technical...

Absolutely the mental side is important. In fact it is as critical as coaching good structures. And I get the failures of our coaching staff in relation to the mental side of things, made worse after we apparently got rid of our sport psychologist some time ago - can't remember when, and that analysis of our mentality of failure was posted on nrl.com and on here months ago : https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/22/the-psychology-behind-how-broncos-can-get-out-of-form-slump/ and that it has been a recurring topic of criticism week in and week out.

The problems were identified and the solutions posted. **** all was done, and Seibold's apparent arrogance to ignore that is one his biggest failures.

My point about defensive structures however is, is that I don't see ANY evidence of ANY coached structures at all, from kick off to the FT siren. If they were there from the start, and then fell away as heads began to hang, then fair enough. In any case, I am keen to know if in fact Gentle does run those defensive drills or not, just to satisfy my curiosity.

If it were easy don't you think Matt Elliot would be coaching first grade himself? The story surrounding his sacking from Panthers don't paint a very flattering picture of the guy.

I don't think that takes away from his accurate analysis of defence as in that video. His coaching aspirations are not what i am referring to.

I do think the rest of this year should be viewed as a trial for whoever remains fit enough to get on the field for next year. So next week:

1. Boyd
2. Coates
3. Arthars
4. Farnworth
5. Kennar
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Luke
10. Teo
11. Oates
12. Riki
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Fifita
17. Bullemor

If we are talking trials for next year, then neither Boyd not Fifita should be there. They offer nothing

Last edited:
I don't think that takes away from his accurate analysis of defence as in that video. His coaching aspirations are not what i am referring to.
I was suggesting Matt Elliot isn't a very good coach, which does take away from his analysis somewhat.

I was suggesting Matt Elliot isn't a very good coach, which does take away from his analysis somewhat.

Sorry, can't accept your logic. His video in that Game Plan was absolutely spot on

I must be so naive to think that coaching good defence is not a set of equations from String Theory.

Unless it's the "Dicks-on-a-String" theory a coach of mine used to drill into us. Moving up in a line as if you're attached to the men beside you by string which is tied around all of your dicks. That and "Titties in the Dark" are the two coaching philosophies that I will always remember.

Do we get any players back beside Haas or has everyone else said **** it for the rest of the year already

Unless it's the "Dicks-on-a-String" theory a coach of mine used to drill into us. Moving up in a line as if you're attached to the men beside you by string which is tied around all of your dicks. That and "Titties in the Dark" are the two coaching philosophies that I will always remember.

Gives an interesting twist to "who's pulling the strings". At least there's no chance anyone is groping for answers

1. Boyd
2. Coates
3. Arthars
4. Farnworth
5. Kennar
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Luke
10. Teo
11. Oates
12. Riki
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Fifita
17. Bullemor
There is no way that Luke, T'eo or Kennar are re-signed for next year. I'm not sure what contracts Arthars and Kennedy are on but they aren't part of the future. I guess Fafita and Boyd shouldn't be there either. Add to that Kahu, TPJ, SOS and Bird who are almost certainly gone as well. We are running out of players to trial. It's safe to say that the roster of 2021 will look vastly different from it's current status. Maybe we should start a thread indicating what the lineup may look like in Round 1, 2021.

Last edited:
Sorry, can't accept your logic. His video in that Game Plan was absolutely spot on
Fair enough if that's your opinion. I just think you're being naive in your original post, as well as your follow up to Financeguy's reply.

The answers to the Brisbane Broncos football club's problems aren't going to be found by browsing the pages of the BroncosHQ forum.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.