PRE-GAME Round 18 - Bulldogs vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

If I could throw in my 2 cents, rnabokov is right when he says that Pritchard and Kasiano are going to be our worst enemies. I hope Milf and Hunt are up to it because they are going to be running straight at them all night. Parker and Thaiday can handle Graham and Klemmer in the middle, and Oates will hopefully be on the outside of Milf to ride shotgun.

Where we will win and lose this game is kicking. Hunt has to be sharp for this one. Kicking downfield early and turning the Dogs forwards around is gonna be crucial. Kick and chase hard has to be the rule of the day, and when we're in their half, bombs away in their 10 metre zone, put pressure on the catcher and drag his ass back into the in goal.

If I could throw in my 2 cents, rnabokov is right when he says that Pritchard and Kasiano are going to be our worst enemies. I hope Milf and Hunt are up to it because they are going to be running straight at them all night. Parker and Thaiday can handle Graham and Klemmer in the middle, and Oates will hopefully be on the outside of Milf to ride shotgun.

Where we will win and lose this game is kicking. Hunt has to be sharp for this one. Kicking downfield early and turning the Dogs forwards around is gonna be crucial. Kick and chase hard has to be the rule of the day, and when we're in their half, bombs away in their 10 metre zone, put pressure on the catcher and drag his ass back into the in goal.

All the Dogs' tries v Storm were scored out wide. From memory, their strong back rowers Lane and Pritchard, and Kasiano, were involved in all of them. Yeah, Milford and Hunt are in for a real work out.

I also think you are totally right. Field position in this game is critical - our kicking game, and no free metres in the middle third.

They try to get field position up the middle, then stack either side in your red zone with 4 including those forwards who can pass/offload and do, to set up a try for the winger, are big and strong enough draw the defence to them leaving a corridor down the wing, or just use their strength to barge over and score.

It's well coached, drilled and executed. For mine, this will be our defence's biggest challenge this season. I am actually not that worried about Klemmer and Graham, except his passing game to an extent. It's out wide where the danger lies: their size, strength and speed.

Last edited:
Macca to kick from dummyhalf at every opportunity....gotta turn those minsters around and keep them on the move.

Macca to kick from dummyhalf at every opportunity....gotta turn those minsters around and keep them on the move.

Not sure who the minsters are, but I guess that's why they are dangerous :takdir:

Just really hoping reed is back this week

Just really hoping reed is back this week

Reed plays on the left. If Bennett rests Hodges and Boyd, I am keen to see who plays where defending that right hand side.

Also, with McGuire out, and if Thaiday and Parker are rested, I am equally curious to see the composition of the pack.

Maybe we will see more of Parcell as Macca plays longer minutes at lock?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what team Bennett chooses.

I can't see Hodges playing, Thaiday will likely be rested and I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd rested either pending on his groin injury.

In which case the team will likely line up like...

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Jarrod Wallace
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Corey Oates
17. Matt Parcell

*backs named in their traditional position

It wouldn't surprise me to see Nikorima in the team either. In which case, he'd come in for Parcell on the bench.

We'll know more by Friday.

Keen to see how our pack goes over one of the best in the comp.

Keen to see how our pack goes over one of the best in the comp.

And our halves will be absolutely critical to that.

Blair and James Graham - 2 props who can pass.

This game will be a cracker, post-Origin effects notwithstanding.

If we win this game, we will be the undisputed favorites to win the premiership. If we lose, it's a wait and see. In my eyes, that is not bad either way.

If we win this game, we will be the undisputed favorites to win the premiership. If we lose, it's a wait and see. In my eyes, that is not bad either way.

A bit of chicken counting going on here, I am not sold that we are one of the premiership favourites as this stage. I think we are one of the contenders and we have a chance, but I await to see what the post origin period effect will have on our team this year.

What we need to do is move the ball side to side even if we are not making much ground. The surest way to overcome the very big forwards is to fatigue them with up and back and to and fro. Ipswich use this tactic with great effect and it is particularly effective against giant forwards like the Dogs employ. Although we are doing very well this year we have lost our best frontrower who is a genuine lightweight amongst the frontrow elite.

If we try to make ground with one out runs from small forwards we will be bashed senseless. We cannot win if we are simply trying to play the same style of game as Canterbury. We must tire them and keeping the ball in play ,as others have said with a clever tactical kicking game , is another part of the puzzle. I can see us struggling in this game.

Does anyone know if the origin boys will be at the Below The Border Function on friday?

I'll be in Hawaii the weekend of the major semis (19-20 September).

I am seriously hoping to have a memorable story for win :-)

Bulldogs: 1 Brett Morris 2 Curtis Rona 3 Josh Morris 4 Tim Lafai 5 Sam Perrett 6 Moses Mbye 7 Trent Hodkinson 8 Aiden Tolman (c) 9 Michael Lichaa 10 David Klemmer 11 Josh Jackson 12 Frank Pritchard 13 Greg Eastwood. Interchange: 14 Sam Kasiano 15 Lloyd Perrett 16 Tim Browne 17 Josh Reynolds 23 Shaun Lane
Broncos: 1 Darius Boyd 2 Lachlan Maranta 3 Jack Reed 4 Jordan Kahu 5 Daniel Vidot 6 Anthony Milford 7 Ben Hunt 8 Sam Thaiday 9 Andrew McCullough 10 Adam Blair 11 Alex Glenn 12 Matt Gillett 13 Corey Parker (c). Interchange: 14 Jarrod Wallace 15 Mitchell Dodds 16 Corey Oates 17 Matt Parcell.

No players rested ... I doubt that will be the final lineup

Last edited:

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • ozzball
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.