POST GAME [Round 19, 2024] Broncos vs Dragons

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Everything has been said, I’ll just add that Riki’s kick chases are not making up for his other deficiencies. His general play defence is terrible. Constantly switching off or making poor defensive decisions. I can’t remember the last time he had any impact in attack.

Staggs had some big moments tonight but he also feels to be a shell of the potential he once showed.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Everything has been said, I’ll just add that Riki’s kick chases are not making up for his other deficiencies. His general play defence is terrible. Constantly switching off or making poor defensive decisions. I can’t remember the last time he had any impact in attack.

Staggs had some big moments tonight but he also feels to be a shell of the potential he once showed.
I wish someone would tell Riki that hes like 7 ft tall 110kgs. He does not run the ball straight and hard like he should, he does this little shimmy that fools nobody and just kills his momentum. Good thing is that he has shown before he can be a really quality defender.

Personally I think we are a team full of confidence players, when the goings good we are great but when the goings bad, its really bad.

On a positive note, watching Piakura fold ***** was great. Where has that been?

E

Ejbroncos

BRL Player
Jun 30, 2023

I remember Riki making several linebreaks with hard runs in his debut season. For some reason he turned into a defensive second rower after that. The bloke hesitates when he runs now. It’s very odd.

I also don’t get how he and Piakura only wanna run the ball 5-7 times a game. Have a crack you bunch of pussies

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I remember Riki making several linebreaks with hard runs in his debut season. For some reason he turned into a defensive second rower after that. The bloke hesitates when he runs now. It’s very odd.

I also don’t get how he and Piakura only wanna run the ball 5-7 times a game. Have a crack you bunch of pussies
It seems to be a coaching strategy. No second rower has had much of a dig in attack under Kev. They appear to be reserved for defence or decoy runs.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Billy had a great game. Some excellent deception around the ruck, averaged more than 10 meters per run. Some good inside passes to forwards into space that got us rolling and scored a great Billy style try.

He conceded two penalties, one of which was not a strip and called that way from the commentator's. Other than that quite good.

Your boy Ezra mam probably had a worse performance and I would attribute our first halve woes evenly spread between him and Sailor. Both had shockers.
Billy gave away two penalties and a set restart. The second he went off our attack kicked into gear.

The difference was chalk and cheese. Time you moved on as well.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Staggs was both our best and our worst. Maybe we were relying on him too much.

I wouldn't like to grade that performance.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I thought Mozer brought the things he's been working on to the NRL.

His defence since the Devils' bath has been great and he's not getting put off his game in attack. That 30 minutes last night was the equal of his best Cup 30 minutes- Bears 2023.

Enthusiasm was up, his energy was great. His tell is pointing and looking around like he's scanning for something, but he already knows. He pointed at Mam and Dragons only had eyes for Mam but he picked it out and knew he was going.

I was sceptical at the start of the year that he was a bench hooker I thought all in or nothing because he's a slow burn hooker, but he had a real impact last night.

I think the more selfish he is the better he plays, in attack just sort yourself out, at Souths this year he's had to carry too much but last night he just did his thing and didn't get put off his game which Ballin will love.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
We have been cruelled with injuries all year, but let's look at who was not injured and has been playing in those six weeks of absolute dog-turd, low-grade pretendy football.

Riki - A Kiwi forward so a bonus coming into origin you would think. Nope. His soft tackles on our line has become a habit, so much so that opposition coaches target him for their crash plays as he's soft as shit. And - oh look he's gone and got himself a two week suspension for a nothing, no need, dumb late hit so he'll be missing during an origin game when he's really needed. What a deadset pretty-boy wanker. I did have time for him coming through the ranks and he was one of the first to sign for us in the bad years, but he has amounted to nothing and needs to sort his defence out and start taking the hard frikkin lines in attack. Looks like Tarzan plays like Chita!

Staggs - another clown who thinks defence is de thing out to de back of de house. "Oh I'm captain tonight so let's set a great example and get sin binned" what a dickhead. Since Q cup days his defence has been poor, but he made up for it in attack. Aside from last night he has not bothered to put in in attack of late. Paid too much for not a lot in return.

Walters - a season from hell after doing so well to punch above his weight last year. That captain's challenge was never on last night. Three in the tackle!! Even if the player lost it cold it was never going to be reversed - just plain dumb.

Oates - loved that he managed to smash that shitstain Sloan (the amount of 6 agains he 'wins' by deliberately tangling his legs with the tackler is criminal). Oatsey also had zero errors, no penalties against him and should be telling the ones on here that say he should be dropped to **** right off. He takes a pay-cut to stay at the club and puts in despite being on one leg at the minute and some tragics on here want to drop him for good. Yeah right.

Sailor- FMD can we move on please. That clusterfuck of an attempted bomb-take that gifted Su'a 6 points and could have been the difference between a win and a loss was typical of his lapses in focus. He has been doing it every week and costing us at least a try every week. NOT UP TO NRL STANDARD!!! Never was, never will be.

Big Marty - That's two weeks the big fella has had a real dig and shown the young fellas how to do it - but wait we've already told him we no longer need his services next year. We much prefer the likes of (checks notes) Baker and Hunt FFS!

Kobe- Eat more porridge son.

Mam- Has improved his defence over the last few weeks, but he's really marking time waiting for the likes of Reyno and Walsh. He is isolated at present as we have no other real threats. So the opposition can jam him on every play. He'll come good.

Jensen - Good honest toiler. Would love to see the occasional lift in intensity in either defence or attack. We really needed him during origin to step up, but seems he was not able.

Willison - better than half our other forwards playing with a busted shoulder last night. If only we could bin Baker and Hunt and give their money to the X man and sign two q cup hopefuls on minimum wage as the other two are wasted cap space.

Mariner - did he play last night? The last few weeks he's made some howlers in defence. So maybe he decided if I don't touch the ball I won't be accused of fucking up.

Yeh I could go on and on with a whinge at how we only lift once the game is out of reach and are unable to stay focused for any longer than 20 minutes in the opening of a game. The fact of the matter is these guys are not a team, are not being coached as a team and it all seems to revolve around the time the players wanted TPJ back in and Kev knocked it back. From then on the team threw in the towel. Kev's days are strictly numbered and it will not be long before you hear those cliched words of "yeh we let the coach down".

It's Kev's own fault. He's been too much of a nice guy. He waits 6 weeks before blowing up that their attitude is not good enough? Get fucked Kev. You should have been riding these troughers hard right after that Titans game. That's when a good coach knows there is something wrong with the attitude. Waiting another 6 weeks hoping it will change is living in the realms of fairyland.

Mozer is not yet ready for full-time NRL but well worth his spot on the bench. Either drop Smoothy or Walters to make way for him. Again, it's a bit late now though. Our ill discipline and our poor completion rate is all on the coach. Our poor attitude is also on the coach. He's sat on his hands for 6 weeks and watched our season go up in flames. Why? Because he has **** all idea of what to do. He's lost without the individual brilliance of some of our players who are currently missing in action. His coaching credentials are seriously under the microscope. If he fails to make the eight this year, he's a gonner.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
I wish someone would tell Riki that hes like 7 ft tall 110kgs. He does not run the ball straight and hard like he should, he does this little shimmy that fools nobody and just kills his momentum. Good thing is that he has shown before he can be a really quality defender.

Personally I think we are a team full of confidence players, when the goings good we are great but when the goings bad, its really bad.

On a positive note, watching Piakura fold ***** was great. Where has that been?
Piakura pretty well does one a game.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Because he can't catch shit when he is running hard. If he spent as much time improving his handling as he does looking in the mirror, he might be more effective.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
To go from losing a GF by 2 to *this* is just a joke.

It's business as usual I'm afraid. 2023 may as well have never happened. Seibold got vilified and eventually flicked for what we just watched tonight. No desire, piss poor attitude, no respect for the ball or the tackle.....Just diabolical. Tonight really does feel like 2020-21.

I am embarrassed to be a Broncos supporter, and that is the first time I've ever felt that way. Kev (and everyone else at the club frankly) is out of time. It's time for Donuts to show what he's made of.
We’re a long way from 3/17 tho

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Walters got praise because he took the game personally. Sloan decided to be a dipshit and wouldn't give us the ball when it was a turnover, Billy made it clear we weren't going to cop that shit. The rest of the game he made it his business to let the opposition know we weren't going to be bullied. About time someone did.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It seems to be a coaching strategy. No second rower has had much of a dig in attack under Kev. They appear to be reserved for defence or decoy runs.
Seems to be our backrow strategy since Matt gillet. He was an attacking weapon when he started and eventually became a tackling machine.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Walters got praise because he took the game personally. Sloan decided to be a dipshit and wouldn't give us the ball when it was a turnover, Billy made it clear we weren't going to cop that shit. The rest of the game he made it his business to let the opposition know we weren't going to be bullied. About time someone did.

Did you know he's the coach's son?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Did you know he's the coach's son?

WHAT?!?!?!? Not surprised. He was fucking disgraceful and even if he didn't strip that ball, he should have known that if a ball is lost in a 3-man tackle it will always be called a strip. He should have just not got involved with the play at all, he has no game awareness.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah I was kinda thinking last night that staggs might have hit his ceiling. He's always been a powerful runner but defensively sus. Not that he can't have good games defensively but he's just not consistent enough to the extent you're not sure which staggs is turning up each week.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.