POST GAME [Round 19, 2024] Broncos vs Dragons

Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018
our lack of support
Nobody around on a few of Billy's runs as well. One in particular down the left side and not a second rower, centre or fullback within cooee, despite him staying alive and keeping his hands free.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Nobody around on a few of Billy's runs as well. One in particular down the left side and not a second rower, centre or fullback within cooee, despite him staying alive and keeping his hands free.
It seems like our game is to have the fullback out wide every set. Our breaks or offloads up the middle have no speed players around at all.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
We never ever ever have any support players on half breaks.

Our good run in '23 we would have players sniffing around all the time.
That was mam. Now he’s just the link man to get the ball to walsh.

B

bert_lifts

QCup Player
May 15, 2021
Big Marty - That's two weeks the big fella has had a real dig and shown the young fellas how to do it - but wait we've already told him we no longer need his services next year. We much prefer the likes of (checks notes) Baker and Hunt FFS!

I really hope they have back flipped on Marty. If they aren't I'll lose the little amount of respect for kev I have left. Some of his runs were immense and the intensity generated hype. You could feel it in the crowd. The fact plodders like baker were ahead of him is criminal

B

Bronx48

QCup Player
Jul 24, 2023
Walters Snr’s praise for Walters Jr made me want to barf. It was heavily obvious once he went off the field the energy shifted and they were able to create plays. He will continue to play him till the end of time. I despise when father and son are together in a club for this reason, because he’ll never drop his son no matter how horrible he is.

B

Bronx48

QCup Player
Jul 24, 2023
I really hope they have back flipped on Marty. If they aren't I'll lose the little amount of respect for kev I have left. Some of his runs were immense and the intensity generated hype. You could feel it in the crowd. The fact plodders like baker were ahead of him is criminal
Can you imagine choosing to keep Baker over him???! 🤢🤢

Cavalo

Cavalo

NYC Player
Sep 20, 2019
This was pointed out in other threads and earlier but where is the next gen of forwards and outside backs? Willison and Piakura debuted in 2022, Mariner last year. Karapani came from Souths.
We've seen Te Kura...
I know Roosters, Storm and Dolphins have been active with signing SEQ juniors but we can't even find a QCup sleeper? Are we even checking out the bush, Wide Bay, Rocky, Mackay?
It was also obvious last night they we would be a big man short - a QCup player with 50+ games and a hard work ethic to do a few hard runs and tackles to go with Marty would have made a difference, especially as Jensen and Willison do not have big motors (X is improving). Playing Smoothy at lock was a poor decision although he gave it a crack.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
One of the most disappointing things I saw last night was our lack of support on Staggs' long try. No one tried to be there in case he was tackled. No one.

That's a sign.

There has been a few things the last month I haven't liked seeing. Against the Warriors Mairner got pushed over the sideline and roughed up over near the fence, no Bronco came over and pushed and told the Warrior to piss off.

If that was Penrith or Storm, 10 of them are over there.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Taupau is playing like his old self again, and it is the version I thought/hoped we would get when we first signed him. For whatever reason, he wasn't playing like this in his previous games, but now that he is, I think he needs to be retained, especially over someone like Baker.

If this form continues, he is more than just a depth signing, and he can be an impact prop off the bench regularly. If he can control his discipline, he offers the aggression and physical presence we desperately need.

His runs off the kickoffs were inspiring, and it was what started generating some momentum for us. In a full strength team, we would likely have had the players to capitalise off the back of his runs.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
But they’re choosing to not keep Marty which is crazy considering his replacement is BAKER!! BAKERRRRRRR!
Marty is 35 next year. It would be lunacy to extend his contract. Baker has struggled thus far but that doesn't mean that he will continue to do so. He's also ten years younger. Plenty of time to mature into a reliable member of the engine room.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Marty is 35 next year. It would be lunacy to extend his contract. Baker has struggled thus far but that doesn't mean that he will continue to do so. He's also ten years younger. Plenty of time to mature into a reliable member of the engine room.
I think a one year contract is perfectly fine for Taupau, especially given how thin our stocks are. He is only really needed for a 3-6 month period to facilitate the transition of Willison, Te Kura, and any other young prop coming through into regular NRL players. Anything more than a one year contract would be silly.

As for Baker, he's just not it. He will never be anything more than a 5/10, and his average performance will likely always be a 3/10. If he can't offer us a Jensen-like level of value for money, he is of no value to our team. There are better players available for his contract price.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016

Marty is the only forward who is able to poke his nose out and get a quick play the ball.
It's nuts, but he's been a big reason why we make more than 40M a set.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think a one year contract is perfectly fine for Taupau, especially given how thin our stocks are. He is only really needed for a 3-6 month period to facilitate the transition of Willison, Te Kura, and any other young prop coming through into regular NRL players. Anything more than a one year contract would be silly.

As for Baker, he's just not it. He will never be anything more than a 5/10, and his average performance will likely always be a 3/10. If he can't offer us a Jensen-like level of value for money, he is of no value to our team. There are better players available for his contract price.
Marty, or an old head like Marty, is handy to have around all these young forwards.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Walters Snr’s praise for Walters Jr made me want to barf. It was heavily obvious once he went off the field the energy shifted and they were able to create plays. He will continue to play him till the end of time. I despise when father and son are together in a club for this reason, because he’ll never drop his son no matter how horrible he is.
In fairness to Kevvie, we don't know whether he's prepared drop his son yet, but we soon will. It's always been a looming disaster postponed by a few good games last season.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.