LIVE Round 19 Discussion

Discussion in 'NRL Live Game Chat' started by Super Freak, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro QCup Player

Melbourne always gets home ground advantage no matter where they play.

2. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

Happy to see the Warriors go down for our sake but, **** me senseless I am so sick of this Melbourne experiment bullshit. It is making watching this code insufferable.

3. Brent81

Brent81 NRL Player

Ref has his money on the Chooks....

Why would you start Frank Winterstein over Shaun Lane? Frank is bog average.

Lane scored two tries in the first 10 minutes last week and was rock solid defensively but he gets demoted to the bench. Barrett has made some strange decisions this year.

GKDonkey likes this.
  4. mrslong

mrslong State of Origin Rep

Roosters carving up manly is surprisingly enjoyable footy.

5. Battler

Battler NRL Captain

Just remember folks, this Roosters side is still way under the cap.

I bleed Maroon likes this.
  6. GKDonkey

GKDonkey NRL Captain

My exact thoughts, I'm sure the Lane demotion is a conspiracy. The demotion is the sole reason Manly are losing:2guns::aplastao:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018

7. Tweet of the year

broncos4life, Foordy, Kimlo and 4 others like this.
  8. Good boy Laney.

GKDonkey likes this.
  9. Battler

Battler NRL Captain

Lol @ the mad Storm bandwagoners in the comments. I wonder if they'll be defending them so ardently when they're running bottom 4 post-Smith.

10. I haven't got the sound on but I imagine the Nein commentary team would've looked like this after the Mitchell try.

[​IMG]

Aldo, Tom and Morkel like this.
  11. Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup NRL Player

Pretty much.

12. Dexter

Dexter

My point exactly. Hunts certainly wasn't that much different to warrant a penalty try to Barnetts nothing at all.

The penalty could be called pretty much 20 times a game but they use discretion to piggy back a team downfield.
    Like many other posters here I honestly think the refs are managing close results and I am late to the table thinking like this but on board now.

13. GKDonkey

GKDonkey NRL Captain

What a player

14. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Would have been funnier if the joke hadn’t been made on Twitter every week since 2011

15. Never seen an NRL clubs actual twitter account openly acknowledge that Cameron Smith gets preferential treatment from the referees, which others have done it?

16. Johnathan Thurston KO'ing a kid.

Morkel and Kimlo like this.
  17. Well at least JT caught up with the kid.

It would have been hilarious if he signed the football that hit him..

Kimlo, Dexter and Harry Sack like this.
  18. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

Wow. Great post Jed. This point, in particular, is great.

Have been thinking along the same lines since the Panthers game. Another thing that annoys me is the panel saying 'We shouldn't be talking about referees but saying what a great game it was' and then spending the next half hour talking about referees!

Mascord wrote a column the other day posing the question 'Do commentators have a duty to 'talk up' their sport?'

When Fatty, Joey, Gus etc harp on and on about a refereeing blunder (and half the time the ref got it exactly right - they just didn't like it!), what are they trying to accomplish?

Is the game that cynical that controversy (even if it's manufactured) is the only fuel that can keep the slaughterhouse going?

Even of Friday night I was thinking after the Maloney shoulder charge penalty 'Geez guys it was 10 minutes ago - get on with the game!'

Here's a question - Who are Channel Nine and the NRL trying to appeal to? Potential new fans or rusted on ones just going through the motions.

I've been recently watching the odd game of Suncorp Super Netball. Not necessarily because I'm a huge fan of the sport but was just seeing how their coverage of the game is as opposed to Rugby League.

The difference is incredible considering they are covered by the same network.

One example I noticed was that occasionally a pop-up screen will appear explaining the rules. How brilliant is that? It quickly flashes up explaining why a team is receiving possession, for instance, and then the little caption disappears before resumption of play.

Out of the handful of games I've watched only one instance of them has the commentators spending more than a few moments discussing an umpire's call.

Basically - if you're new to the game - it's as easy as possible to learn and become a fan. Obviously it's not as big as the NRL in terms of revenue but there's no denying they need to attract new fans and everything about how they broadcast the game is geared towards that.

Are there rusted-on netball fans that argue about their game's equivalent of wrestling, block plays, interfering with kick chasers etc. Not on the surface that I can see.

In the aftermath of the Raiders game, hearing ideas like getting rid of the bunker sound good until you realise Channel Nine could never resist the lure of creating more 'controversy' by showing endless replays of a howler (which will happen) thereby creating the need to discuss reinstating The Bunker!

Rusted-on. Rinse and repeat.

mrslong, Sproj, gordjw and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jedhead

Jedhead NRL Player

I agree with your observations whole heartedly. Ch 9's director of sports thinks the faux controversy they are manufacturing is creating 'drama' and as a consequence a more ' watchable' product when in fact they are slowly turning off those viewers who you might classify as 'non-rusted on'. It won't be too long before the die hard fan has a gutful of their manufactured controversies too. In a sense, they are cutting their nose off to spite their own face. For the first time in nearly thirty years I have started to watch the TV games without he sound turned down and music playing. Granted it loses the atmosphere of the crowd but it's a small price to pay to get rid of the 'experts' droning on.

CaptainHook likes this.