Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I decided to avoid the live thread tonight, looks like I made the right call.

Pretty scrappy game, I thought Milford & Roberts looked extra sharp, Arrow was exactly what you'd expect from a starting Lock, plenty of runs, metres & tackles (Still hope we re-sign him, if he hasn't officially joined the Titans..) TPJ had some nice touches. Isaako looked dangerous, didn't get many opportunities in the opposition 20 to really show us what he can do, but a good debut overall. Moga looked lethal also.

Defence needs some work.

A few errors, bad defensive reads and conceded a couple of penalties
And broke the line twice, scored a decent try, with nine tackle busts?

Did pretty well with what he was given.

He made 1 error, gave away 1 penalty and didn't miss a tackle.
Not on the stats maybe, but the Knights strolled right pass him for a try when he should have come in with Hunt for a tackle. Happy with his game though.

Brisbane prop Korbin Sims has come back to haunt his old side, scoring a decisive second-half try as the Broncos beat a spirited Newcastle Knights outfit 34-22 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

The former Knight slammed the ball down in the 70th minute in a fiery contest as the Broncos survived a scare against the bottom-placed hosts despite missing several key players.

Wayne Bennett's decision to rest State of Origin pair Josh McGuire and Matt Gillett took time for the Broncos to adjust early, however the power game of Sims, Alex Glenn and Sam Thaiday late in the contest proved too much for the inexperienced Knights.

Potential Newcastle recruit Tautau Moga was also enormous for the visitors with two line breaks in a 177-metre display.

Newcastle took a 12-6 lead into the break but the Broncos responded immediately after with three tries in 10 minutes to turn the game, before the Knights struck back with two of their own midway through the second half with the contest evenly poised.

James Roberts latched onto a scrappy Joe Wardle kick and raced 60 metres to the line, before Moga ran over Dane Gagai on the left edge and later finished off a stellar team effort.

Brisbane were suddenly full of running and extended their lead after points when Australian international Sam Thaiday identified some clumsy defence around the ruck to help Anthony Milford stroll over in his return game after five weeks out.

In a seesawing contest, the Knights hit back two minutes later as Wardle made up for an earlier error to leap high and keep the ball alive for Chanel Mata'utia to cross in the corner.

The Knights struck again shortly after when Trent Hodkinson put Gagai into a yawning gap, but the Wally Lewis medallist from the State of Origin series had a shocker in possession with the home side on the attack again when he inexcusably threw the ball to a Bronco on first tackle.

Sims' try immediately followed as he broke past Hodkinson and Mata'utia to plant the ball down and hand the Broncos an eight-point lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Gagai made up for the earlier error to bust into space and give the Knights a glimmer of hope, however the home side lost their way with Barnett fumbling the ball and putting an end to any chance of a comeback.

Hunt iced the win with a perfectly placed grubber for Jonus Pearson to score in-goal minutes out from full-time.

Earlier in the contest Sims had a target on his back early as the Newcastle forward pack aimed up against their former teammate with a couple of monster hits.

Another big shot on Sims proved costly for the home side with Peter Mata'utia leaving the field after copping an accidental elbow from the Fijian international, the hit ruling the 26-year-old out for the remainder of the contest.

The classic opening battle between Sims and the Knights continued as the Broncos prop steamrolled over Lachlan Fitzgibbon before being denied the opening try for the visitors after a strong charge over the line.

Newcastle were unlucky shortly after when Nathan Ross busted up through the middle on the last tackle but was ruled to have run behind Sione Mata'utia in the lead-up.

Broncos centre James Roberts split through the Knights defence in the ensuing set however the defence of the Novocastrians remained strong after a quarter of the game.

Knights lock Mitch Barnett was making inroads up the middle and put prop Daniel Saifiti into space, however the last pass to Hodkinson went to ground with the try-line in sight.

Brisbane took advantage of the Knights' misfortunes with Hunt providing the pin-point cross-field kick for Jordan Kahu to outleap Chanel Mata'utia and get over the line in the 26th minute.

Newcastle hit back almost immediately to level the match back up as Hodkinson sent Sione Mata'utia over untouched after a perfect line run split Hunt and Roberts on Brisbane's right side.

The Knights went back-to-back after points with Ross brushing past Tevita Pangai Jr before finding Danny Levi in support to go over next to the posts.

A structured first half from the Broncos turned more creative in the second with dominant yardage and a 13-9 offload count proving the difference in the end as Newcastle succumbed to their seventh loss in a row.

Brisbane now momentarily jump back into the top four on the Telstra Premiership ladder on the back of the 12-point win.

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-survive-knights-scare/tabid/10874/newsid/110008/default.aspx

Well and good to focus on the good and the not so good individuals however it's the way the team doesn't play that worries me for the finals.

We really miss Boyd big time, and Gillett's defence, but still, our attack is really unconvincing. The Storm showed where we are in the top level pecking order big time. Oh for Kevvie Walters coaching our attack.

We looks better with our bench forwards on.

I don't rate Sims. Mistake to sign him in my book.

Was I watching a different game, or was Sims fine tonight? He ran for over 100 metres, scored a try (nearly a double), made a line-break, busted a bunch of tackles, played with mongrel.

I understand that you hate him for some unknown reason, but at least single him out after he's had a poor game lol.

People must watch a different game to me, I didn't think they were too bad. Newcastle were quite good and we did well to beat them considering we were missing five regulars, off the bye and away in front of a hostile crowd and getting little help from the refs. All in all, not too bad. I did say before the match that this would take a good effort and the Broncos showed me enough to say when the bigger games roll around, we'll be up for it.

Was I watching a different game, or was Sims fine tonight? He ran for over 100 metres, scored a try (nearly a double), made a line-break, busted a bunch of tackles, played with mongrel.

I understand that you hate him for some unknown reason, but at least single him out after he's had a poor game lol.

We looked better when he was off. Should have used the money he is on to top up Ese'eses deal.

Yeah I'm not seeing it in tonight's example. I gave him my 2 points.

It's obviously Sims fault that our 5th tackle options and ability to give away penalties was in show tonight

I think that's just one of those games that you say thanks for the 2 points and move on.

I'm pretty proud of the way we kept coming back, but there's nothing you could really point to as having improved on thanks to that game.

Moga starting to hit some form, Wayne needs to resign him. Strong and he still has wheels on him. Getting better and better each week.

We get destroyed by the outside inside play. Expect a lot more teams to try it on us so hopefully our ruck defence improves. At the same time I wish we'd try this play sometimes like khunt used to do.

Korbin must have heard that the whole Knights squad were estatic when he left. Not well liked at all. Was giving it to them when he barged over. Was an absolute pea heart at the Knights and he goes out and sledges the fans. What a muppet. Especially when most weeks you go missing more than Mitchell Pearce in Origin. Credit to him for running his first ever 100m game though.

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jedhead
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • azza.79
  • Fozz
  • Rookie Alan
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manlyman
  • Alec
  • Volvo Driver
  • Painin the Haas
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.