POST GAME Round 19 - Titans vs Broncos

Jedhead

NRL Player
I think one of his best was — 'Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.'

I remember it as the opening of 'Step brothers'.

Pub Steak

QCup Player
I don’t wholeheartedly agree with any individual point of view but I must applaud the level of debate. The team is lifting and BHQ is upping the ante too. The future looks ok to me.
I'm not so sure. This is a written forum. If you can't make your point in 100 words or less, you aren't killing it at all. Articulation. Look it up. Apply it. I'm drawing a line in the sand called the effort line. Shape up or ship out. Go Siebs.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Gaz Gaz
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold draws a line in the sand over cultural standards

Peter Badel, Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail

July 31, 2019 4:51pm

Anthony Seibold has drawn a cultural line-in-the-sand at Red Hill, with the Broncos coach warning Brisbane players to work harder or risk being axed from the club.

On the eve of their blockbuster against Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium Friday night, leading Broncos stars have revealed Seibold’s zero-tolerance approach to break the longest premiership drought in Brisbane’s history.

A former employee of the Storm, Seibold is acutely aware of the standards of excellence that have made Craig Bellamy’s Melbourne the NRL’s most consistent team of the past decade.

While Seibold is not adopting a copycat mentality in trying to bring a Storm-like ruthlessness to the Broncos, Wayne Bennett’s successor will not tolerate laziness, mediocrity and unprofessionalism at Red Hill.

Seibold has made his mark. AAP Image/Darren England.

Brisbane’s former No.1 strike centre James Roberts, who battled an achilles problem for more than a year, was moved on just five months into Seibold’s tenure after being challenged to work harder on his rehabilitation.

The eighth-placed Broncos have gone a month without a defeat and prop Matt Lodge says Brisbane’s longer-term goal of clinching the club’s seventh premiership hinges on buying into Seibold’s methods.

“I would love to see it (Brisbane emulating the Storm),” Lodge said.

“I am a big fan of what they (Melbourne) do.

“We are not trying to be a cookie-cutter and copy exactly what they do because we have got our own style and our own type of players.

“But I think Seibs is doing a good job of almost clearing people out who don’t want to buy into working hard and doing everything they need to do to make sure the team is winning, and training hard.

Seibold has the Broncos back on track. AAP Image/Darren England.

“It is the whole package here. If people aren’t prepared to do that at the Broncos, we don’t really want them in the team.”

Seibold said his three years under Bellamy at Melbourne gave him a compelling insight into the work ethic required to win premierships.

“We have different players, but I learnt so much from my time down there (the Storm),” Seibold said.

“It’s a special club – but this is a special club, too.

“You have seen the best of this squad in patches, but we’ll get better, whether it’s this year or next year, and that’s all I ask.”

Seibold knows missing the finals in unacceptable. AAP Image/Darren England.

Ironically, Melbourne built their foundations on the success of the Broncos in the 1990s and fullback Anthony Milford concedes missing the finals would be unacceptable for a Brisbane club with a top-four mandate.

“We hold a pretty high standard here at the Broncos,” he said.

“Seibs has come in and said no different. He’s holding everyone and each and all of us accountable for ourselves and that hasn’t changed. We’re just trying to get better every day.

“There’s about six weeks to go and our numbers between the top eight, we’re not safe at all.

“We’re no different (to Melbourne’s standards). We set a pretty high standard here and we just need to nail that every week and every day.”

Reactions: Gaz

Tom

State of Origin Rep
“But I think Seibs is doing a good job of almost clearing people out who don’t want to buy into working hard and doing everything they need to do to make sure the team is winning, and training hard.
Almost? So there's a couple\few\number to go aye.

This is a very promising article, seems he's doing his best to give our team a hard edge we haven't had for a few years.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Have to say the words from Lodge are really strong in regards to clearing out the guys that don't want to work for it.

That really is a storm mentality... and coming from the playing group means it's not just the coach saying it but the players pushing it through as well.

A culture led by the playing group will always succeed over a coach/management trying to push a culture onto the players

NSW stables

QCup Player
Have to say the words from Lodge are really strong in regards to clearing out the guys that don't want to work for it.

That really is a storm mentality... and coming from the playing group means it's not just the coach saying it but the players pushing it through as well.

A culture led by the playing group will always succeed over a coach/management trying to push a culture onto the players
Yeah, usually players dont want to be critical of other players, but lodge has directly said if the players dont want to buy in and work, we dont want them here (cough, cough. . . Roberts).
- Merged

Last edited:

Gaz

NRL Player
Gaz Gaz
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold draws a line in the sand over cultural standards

Peter Badel, Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail

July 31, 2019 4:51pm

Anthony Seibold has drawn a cultural line-in-the-sand at Red Hill, with the Broncos coach warning Brisbane players to work harder or risk being axed from the club.

On the eve of their blockbuster against Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium Friday night, leading Broncos stars have revealed Seibold’s zero-tolerance approach to break the longest premiership drought in Brisbane’s history.

A former employee of the Storm, Seibold is acutely aware of the standards of excellence that have made Craig Bellamy’s Melbourne the NRL’s most consistent team of the past decade.

While Seibold is not adopting a copycat mentality in trying to bring a Storm-like ruthlessness to the Broncos, Wayne Bennett’s successor will not tolerate laziness, mediocrity and unprofessionalism at Red Hill.

Seibold has made his mark. AAP Image/Darren England.

Brisbane’s former No.1 strike centre James Roberts, who battled an achilles problem for more than a year, was moved on just five months into Seibold’s tenure after being challenged to work harder on his rehabilitation.

The eighth-placed Broncos have gone a month without a defeat and prop Matt Lodge says Brisbane’s longer-term goal of clinching the club’s seventh premiership hinges on buying into Seibold’s methods.

“I would love to see it (Brisbane emulating the Storm),” Lodge said.

“I am a big fan of what they (Melbourne) do.

“We are not trying to be a cookie-cutter and copy exactly what they do because we have got our own style and our own type of players.

Seibold has the Broncos back on track. AAP Image/Darren England.

“It is the whole package here. If people aren’t prepared to do that at the Broncos, we don’t really want them in the team.”

Seibold said his three years under Bellamy at Melbourne gave him a compelling insight into the work ethic required to win premierships.

“We have different players, but I learnt so much from my time down there (the Storm),” Seibold said.

“It’s a special club – but this is a special club, too.

“You have seen the best of this squad in patches, but we’ll get better, whether it’s this year or next year, and that’s all I ask.”

Seibold knows missing the finals in unacceptable. AAP Image/Darren England.

Ironically, Melbourne built their foundations on the success of the Broncos in the 1990s and fullback Anthony Milford concedes missing the finals would be unacceptable for a Brisbane club with a top-four mandate.

“We hold a pretty high standard here at the Broncos,” he said.

“Seibs has come in and said no different. He’s holding everyone and each and all of us accountable for ourselves and that hasn’t changed. We’re just trying to get better every day.

“There’s about six weeks to go and our numbers between the top eight, we’re not safe at all.

“We’re no different (to Melbourne’s standards). We set a pretty high standard here and we just need to nail that every week and every day.”
I must admit I am a little amazed by this statement. Normally drawing a line in the sand is like saying it’s a last resort.

I would have thought he had better control without the need to draw any line anywhere at all. Read somewhere he gave Oatsey a kick up the arse but I thought most were putting in.

Won't hurt to get a bit tough, he did make a statement very early in the season that we shouldn’t judge the team until August - so here we go.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
My impression from Lodges words are there's one more guy not putting in. I have no sound reason for thinking there is only one. I've also not seen anyone bludging and I don't think Lodge was talking about Roberts either. He's in the past. It's like there's someone in particular he's thinking about.

Reactions: Tom

BroncsFan

NRL Player
My impression from Lodges words are there's one more guy not putting in. I have no sound reason for thinking there is only one. I've also not seen anyone bludging and I don't think Lodge was talking about Roberts either. He's in the past. It's like there's someone in particular he's thinking about.
I dunno... I think Lodge may have just slipped up and was being a little casual with his wording. I interpreted it as more talking along the lines of them as a squad are almost there in terms of being able to meet Seibs standards.

I can't really think of anyone in the squad not currently putting in every game... which is great to see. Usually post game threads are about players going missing or looking lost on the field, but it seems we are starting to play to the same beat at the moment.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I dunno... I think Lodge may have just slipped up and was being a little casual with his wording. I interpreted it as more talking along the lines of them as a squad are almost there in terms of being able to meet Seibs standards.

I can't really think of anyone in the squad not currently putting in every game... which is great to see. Usually post game threads are about players going missing or looking lost on the field, but it seems we are starting to play to the same beat at the moment.
You may be right. I too cannot see anyone not putting in everything. This upcoming game is the big one and winning it means keeping control of our own fate. It's season defining.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter