POST GAME Round 19 - Titans vs Broncos

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
TPJ seems to be improving (this is arguable for sure), Staggs has improved, Haas has improved, Flegler has improved, Carrigan is DEFINITELY improving, the club attitude seems to have improved, bench use has definitely improved, Milford seems happier, Turps has improved, Joffa seems to have improved slightly, Glenn is playing better than ever.

Most of this could probably be argued but some cannot. I mean, improvement is not hard to see if you actually spend a minute or less looking for it.
That could largely just be put down to natural progression of the young players.

Milf seeming happier is perhaps your perception? He seemed pretty happy to me last year when he was slaying all comers on the way to winning our player of the year.

Even if we win all remaining 6 games we’re still on a net loss of one win from last year. Hard to argue for improvement.

I wasn’t trying to turn this into another discussion about seibold. I just thought mentioning the manly win was misplaced credit to our season on the whole.

Last edited:

Aldo

NRL Player
New South Wails
That could largely just be put down to natural progression of the young players.

Milf seeming happier is perhaps your perception? He seemed pretty happy to me last year when he was slaying all comers on the way to winning our player of the year.

Even if we win all remaining 6 games we’re still on a net loss of one win from last year. Hard to argue for improvement.

I wasn’t trying to turn this into another discussion about seibold. I just thought mentioning the manly win was misplaced credit to our season on the whole.
You've brought this up a bit. Milf wasn't that good last year despite winning his award. He was solid. Him winning player of the year was more due to not much competition. Who else was going to win it?

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Why does the club have massive potential moving forward this year but not last? The young guys we've got pushing through now were all here last year too.
They were but how many of them were being used? Would Bennett have flicked Roberts for Staggs? Would Bennett have let KNik go in favour of Dearden? Would Bennett have put Milf to fullback?

I honestly don't know and I am not comparing the coaches deliberately. I'm also by no means saying Siebold is better than Bennett but what I am saying is that this team is playing with more freedom than any team since 2015 for some reason.

The young guys probably should have and would have pushed through. Regardless, for whatever reason it is happening, the fact is it IS happening and that is exciting. There are evident structures being employed that you couldn't say were always there last year.

Macca is no longer playing 80 and Boyd appears to be being phased out of the side, at least from such an important position as fullback. Would any of these things have happened under the previous regime?

This club was trending further and further away from 2015. It seems as though now, change has been made and while inconclusive, just has a better feel than last year despite results. Time will certainly tell.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Think about the alternative with Wayne as coach. Niko would still be hb, Boyd fb, milf 58 (doing everything and looking like he’s under the same stress as the POTUS for 80 mins), Haas would probably be on the bench getting 30 mins a game, fifi on the bench as well, carrigan and flegler likely not in FG, etc.

Edit: what Sproj said.
I hate when that happens haha.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff

You are right all of this could be attributed to natural progression and this team could finish worse than last year. The fact it is almost on par with last year despite how messed up the season has been is interesting.

You are also right, you certainly didn't make this about Siebold, I did that, so sorry for that. What I am trying to show though, is that being negative does not equate to being realistic.

If you are going to take credit away for the Manly win (and fair enough, they were decimated), you should equally give credit for the Sharks win.

Last edited:

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
If you are going to take credit away for the Manly win (and fair enough, they were decimated), you should equally give credit for the Sharks win.
The Sharks win was all Turpin slaying it in the halves.
Towering pinpoint bombs for Coates, deft in goal grubbers and backing up one hand offloads from TPJ.

pagey

NRL Captain
Think about the alternative with Wayne as coach. Niko would still be hb, Boyd fb, milf 58 (doing everything and looking like he’s under the same stress as the POTUS for 80 mins), Haas would probably be on the bench getting 30 mins a game, fifi on the bench as well, carrigan and flegler likely not in FG, etc.

Edit: what Sproj said.
All of this is just your opinion, no one knows what would've happened.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
I've been wondering about our season and thought it could be interesting to take a look at it in patches

Initial teething period (8 games 2 wins 6 losses)
At this point we were just flogged by Rabbits, but it was also the point when Roberts was dropped and Knik's departure was imminent.

Lead up to origin (3 games 3 wins)
Small period leading up to origin, but it was the time when Turps, Dearden, etc. were starting to be introduced and Jimmy and Knik were gone (not blaming Knik, just indicating this was the time he was moved on)... Wins against Manly, Roosters then Warriors in NZ.

During origin (4 games 1 win)
Sole win was against the sharks at the end of the origin period. I think during this time we were hampered by origin more than what you would expect for a team with our record at the time (Oates, Gillett, Offa, Haas and Fifi in origin). There were also the 6 or so others participating in the rep round. I think this can't be overlooked as it appeared players were playing below themselves to safeguard against injury for those rep jerseys. Also noted by Seibs that Fifi, Oates, etc. weren't able to back up all that well and we lost Offa and Haas to injuries

Post origin (3 games 2 wins 1 draw)
Since the sharks game I believe we are currently playing a lot more consistently in terms of our style. We know our strength is the forwards and we have been ramming that down the opposition's throat. Our defence is still suspect, but I think we have improved in the middle (appears we are slowing down their ruck more), but the edges and inside the 20 need serious improvement.

Basically if we exclude the tumultuous period at the start of the year with the teething issues to Seibs style and potentially "toxic" players (namely Jimmy), we are 10 games 6 wins 1 draw and if you exclude the origin period we are undefeated.

Long bow I know, but I like the direction the team is heading in. However, the big thing that can swing all of this is maintaining the attitude within the playing group.

We appear more focused at the moment and players know their role a bit more which makes attitude a little less important (as they just have to rock up and play their part to 100% ie. not as much thinking involved), but if the bad old attitude days reemerge (as evidenced by the origin period) we could easily slump back down the ladder.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
They were but how many of them were being used? Would Bennett have flicked Roberts for Staggs? Would Bennett have let KNik go in favour of Dearden? Would Bennett have put Milf to fullback?

I honestly don't know and I am not comparing the coaches deliberately. I'm also by no means saying Siebold is better than Bennett but what I am saying is that this team is playing with more freedom than any team since 2015 for some reason.

The young guys probably should have and would have pushed through. Regardless, for whatever reason it is happening, the fact is it IS happening and that is exciting. There are evident structures being employed that you couldn't say were always there last year.

Macca is no longer playing 80 and Boyd appears to be being phased out of the side, at least from such an important position as fullback. Would any of these things have happened under the previous regime?

This club was trending further and further away from 2015. It seems as though now, change has been made and while inconclusive, just has a better feel than last year despite results. Time will certainly tell.
It's funny the narrative has shifted and Bennett's retconned into this bloke terminally afraid to believe in young players. Take Staggs as an example, you wonder whether Wayne would have flicked Roberts for him, but Bennett's the guy who played Staggs in a dozen games last year. Whether he would have needed to move on Roberts is another matter, I'm guessing probably not but it's just a guess.

Dollars to donuts though, plenty here, including those now demanding we all share in unbridled optimism of a future so bright we gotta wear two pairs of shades, would be absolutely howling if Bennett played Turpin at halfback or off the bench for Macca, let alone moved Boyd to 5/8.

Time will certainly tell and I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances next season. But I'd say before the season kicked off we were a team absolutely primed with potential and it came to the worst season in recent memory. I'm hoping it'll come together but wouldn't bet lefty on it.

Gaz

NRL Player
Courier Mail reporting Seibold has drawn a line in the sand regarding hard work. Can anyone post please.

pagey

NRL Captain
It's funny the narrative has shifted and Bennett's retconned into this bloke terminally afraid to believe in young players. Take Staggs as an example, you wonder whether Wayne would have flicked Roberts for him, but Bennett's the guy who played Staggs in a dozen games last year. Whether he would have needed to move on Roberts is another matter, I'm guessing probably not but it's just a guess.

Dollars to donuts though, plenty here, including those now demanding we all share in unbridled optimism of a future so bright we gotta wear two pairs of shades, would be absolutely howling if Bennett played Turpin at halfback or off the bench for Macca, let alone moved Boyd to 5/8.

Time will certainly tell and I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances next season. But I'd say before the season kicked off we were a team absolutely primed with potential and it came to the worst season in recent memory. I'm hoping it'll come together but wouldn't bet lefty on it.
Not just staggs but haas ,sua, Fifita. It's so tiring listening to this dribble.
People are calling for some positivity and optimism, that's fine but how bout we stop pointing the finger at the past and concentrate on the future.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
We appear more focused at the moment and players know their role a bit more which makes attitude a little less important (as they just have to rock up and play their part to 100% ie. not as much thinking involved), but if the bad old attitude days reemerge (as evidenced by the origin period) we could easily slump back down the ladder.
This is what is possibly the most exciting thing, it is the Melbourne Storm model. Get players to know their role and do it.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff

Firstly, when or where did I say Bennett was afraid to believe in young blokes? That has never been an argument I have used. Other posters have sure, apparently I am being retconned into Average Joe Poster? A bit of generalising happening there I suppose.

I have also mentioned a number of times throughout the season that I was not a fan of Siebold's in-game coaching. This has definitely improved though. I am not even a Siebold advocate or Bennett 'hater', though I do admit I felt Bennett needed to be moved on. So I guess, since there can be no middle ground on the Internet it seems, I am a Bennett 'hater' by default. An even though I wanted Bennett moved on, this obviously wasn't due to him being a bad coach, I just felt he had grown stale along with the 2018 group of players. The club needed a new direction.

Not really sure why you feel a need to use hyperbole about unbridled optimism, that really seems to have missed the point of my latest posts in this thread about being realistic but hey, sensationalism sells right?

A number of posters, Bennett supporters and 'haters' and quite a few in between (not that there seems to be such a thing as middle ground allowable) DID howl (and likely still are) about choosing Macca over Turps, not a great point here. Turps at halfback would be a bad decision if other halfbacks were still available...but they aren't. Dearden, Paix and SOS are ALL injured. Who else is there?

Before the season, this side was brimming with potential and guess what, it still is...arguably even more so, not really sure what this has to do with anything.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
I don’t wholeheartedly agree with any individual point of view but I must applaud the level of debate. The team is lifting and BHQ is upping the ante too. The future looks ok to me.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Firstly, when or where did I say Bennett was afraid to believe in young blokes? That has never been an argument I have used. Other posters have sure, apparently I am being retconned into Average Joe Poster? A bit of generalising happening there I suppose.
Fair cop, I was certainly talking more about the general tone of things as opposed to accusing you of this specifically.
I have also mentioned a number of times throughout the season that I was not a fan of Siebold's in-game coaching. This has definitely improved though. I am not even a Siebold advocate or Bennett 'hater', though I do admit I felt Bennett needed to be moved on. So I guess, since there can be no middle ground on the Internet it seems, I am a Bennett 'hater' by default. An even though I wanted Bennett moved on, this obviously wasn't due to him being a bad coach, I just felt he had grown stale along with the 2018 group of players. The club needed a new direction.
Agreed there.
Not really sure why you feel a need to use hyperbole about unbridled optimism, that really seems to have missed the point of my latest posts in this thread about being realistic but hey, sensationalism sells right?
Hyperbole sent to ridiculous levels is basically the only rhetorical device I have. Well, I guess there's also a boatload of (arguably unnecessary) punctuation, and meandering, rambling sentences that don't really go anywhere. Not sure sensationalism does sell, I've been given the arse from every sales job I've had.
A number of posters, Bennett supporters and 'haters' and quite a few in between (not that there seems to be such a thing as middle ground allowable) DID howl (and likely still are) about choosing Macca over Turps, not a great point here. Turps at halfback would be a bad decision if other halfbacks were still available...but they aren't. Dearden, Paix and SOS are ALL injured. Who else is there?

Before the season, this side was brimming with potential and guess what, it still is...arguably even more so, not really sure what this has to do with anything.
It may have been poorly made, but my point was we've had a side positively primed with premiership potential and absolutely flubbed it so I'm a bit gunshy of being overly optimistic. George Dubya had a great quote that sums it up fantastically - "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
George Dubya had a great quote that sums it up fantastically - "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."
My two personal favourites:

1. Our enemies don’t stop trying to think of new ways to harm our people and neither do we.

2. I dream of the time when men and fish can live together peacefully.

Last edited:

Gaz

NRL Player
My two personal favourites:

1. Our enemies don’t stop trying to think of new ways to harm our people and neither do we.

2. I dream of the time when men and fish can live together peacefully.
3. Not all men are wise at all hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter