POST GAME Round 19 - Titans vs Broncos

soup

State of Origin Rep
It's not just his form that's made him a scapegoat, the teams form and the whole rebuilding process. He is definitely not having a good year but same can be said for Thurstons last full seasons, it's how it works sometimes. He now has to learn a new position and get back into form , which has to be so draining mentally.
But I can imagine it being refreshing also. A change is sometimes as good as a holiday. I’m sure it’s relieving a lot of pressure on him in a lot of ways and it has been mentioned that whilst defending in the front line, he relies more on instinct, rather than overthinking the situation, which he himself has admitted is a weakness.

Still, he will be even better at left centre and I have faith that Siebold will have plans for the shift over the preseason.

Gee it’s bloody nice to enjoy some optimism (personally and collectively) after winning four on the trot!

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
But I can imagine it being refreshing also. A change is sometimes as good as a holiday. I’m sure it’s relieving a lot of pressure on him in a lot of ways and it has been mentioned that whilst defending in the front line, he relies more on instinct, rather than overthinking the situation, which he himself has admitted is a weakness.

Still, he will be even better at left centre and I have faith that Siebold will have plans for the shift over the preseason.

Gee it’s bloody nice to enjoy some optimism (personally and collectively) after winning four on the trot!
I don't see any reason why we can't make a splash this year. We haven't beaten only poor sides this year. We have also met and overcome the Roosters and Manly. That stuff happened with the youngest team, the most inexperienced team with a new coach, a plethora of injuries and disruptions, with SOO and its attendant effects and three guys who weren't playing in positions most suitable.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I don't see any reason why we can't make a splash this year. We haven't beaten only poor sides this year. We have also met and overcome the Roosters and Manly. That stuff happened with the youngest team, the most inexperienced team with a new coach, a plethora of injuries and disruptions, with SOO and its attendant effects and three guys who weren't playing in positions most suitable.
Of course, I passionately hope you are right, and my own dreams are inline with yours mate. We need fortitude and luck, especially in regard to injuries. However, bowing out in the first round as we did last year has little merit, except for Siebold making a good fist of a hard year, and our current youngsters acquiring a little more finals experience. Actually, maybe there’s more merit in that than I’m crediting.

Either way, aim very proud of the coach and players, grasping there own destiny and proving the naysayers wrong.

Gaz

NRL Player
The way our season ended last year was frustrating to say the least and the ensuing fallout through the preseason and into the start of this year was anything but ideal.

It’s a credit to our coach for being able to keep a cap on the situation and bring a young and largely inexperienced side through injury an SOO periods into the eight. He has managed to re-sign a bunch of players that some were predicting would walk out the door and having the balls to release some that refused to buy in. He also appears to have turned the tide of resentment from the ‘old boys’, a situation that he wanted badly.
We have a lot to look forward to in the coming seasons.

I would rather be on eight with a heap of potential then further up the ladder with none.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
He also appears to have turned the tide of resentment from the ‘old boys’, a situation that he wanted badly.
Speaking of the old boys. I heard they were upset about titans snubbing Kevvie, but couldn't find any articles about it.

Has Gordie (GC ambassador) come out and laid into his team for overlooking the obvious coaching appointment yet???

I can only expect an article everyday on how they made the wrong decision not to appoint the chosen one.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
That Manly win while good was against a weakened team who copped a tonne of injuries in game.

Our only really impressive win was the Roosters game.

The Strapper

QCup Player
Speaking of the old boys. I heard they were upset about titans snubbing Kevvie, but couldn't find any articles about it.

Has Gordie (GC ambassador) come out and laid into his team for overlooking the obvious coaching appointment yet???

I can only expect an article everyday on how they made the wrong decision not to appoint the chosen one.
If I was kevvie I wouldn’t be too upset.
He may have just dodged a massive bullet.
Anyway eventually another coach will be sacked so there will be another opportunity somewhere.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
The last quote from Kev that I heard was that he didn’t want the job at all. Maybe the media has beat this all up to be more than it is, yet again?
always a possibility given the way the rugby league media handles themselves.

but they reported that he wanted the job, he just wanted to be approached directly and offered it without going through the interview process ... then Bennett came out and said that Walters shouldn't have to go through an interview process (stating that he never has himself). so the media could be on the money with this one.

Kent has actually reported that while the Titans have claimed they are conducting an "extensive search" for their next coach, Holbrook is the only one to actually receive an interview for the position.

he went through all the reported favourites for the job (JD, Walters, Hook, Walker bros, Fitzgibbon etc) and said none of them received an interview

JAHHW

NRL Player
That Manly win while good was against a weakened team who copped a tonne of injuries in game.

Our only really impressive win was the Roosters game.
Is it hard living your daily life inherently finding negatives in every situation? Surely it gets tiring?

I’ll admit, I often don’t agree with Huge Huge but I do admire his optimism. And why not, we’re in the 8 and slowly building!

Change takes time and we are finally starting to see the dividends of such change. Why not get onboard and enjoy it.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Is it hard living your daily life inherently finding negatives in every situation? Surely it gets tiring?

I’ll admit, I often don’t agree with Huge Huge but I do admire his optimism. And why not, we’re in the 8 and slowly building!

Change takes time and we are finally starting to see the dividends of such change. Why not get onboard and enjoy it.
Being realistic isn’t being negative. Hanging our hat on that performance would be folly.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
In this instance, broncosgoat has a point. Manly were missing T. Trbojevic, Taufua, D. Walker, Cherry-Evans, Fonua-Blake and lost Suli, Parker and Sipley during the game. They also lost Croker prior to the game, which meant Sironen had to shift to the halves which hurt them as well.

It wasn't like the win came as a huge surprise. Brisbane were heavily favoured despite their awful form.

Last edited:

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
Being realistic isn’t being negative. Hanging our hat on that performance would be folly.
The games that I enjoyed for the full 80 were the Roosters and Sharks games. Tough, gritty win against the premiers and the baby Broncs away at the Shire against all odds, stealing victory at the death.
The rest of the wins were ones where we could have racked up big scores. Euphoric for the first half then frustrating till fulltime for some weird reason of not wanting to score more than 30 points.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
At the same time, being negative isn't being realistic. You tend to confuse the two fairly consistently.

What would it take for you to give any credit to Siebs incidentally?
If I saw any material improvement on last year. He was brought in to improve us and to this point I don’t think he has. I wasn’t talking about seibold when I made the comment though.

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
At the same time, being negative isn't being realistic. You tend to confuse the two fairly consistently.

What would it take for you to give any credit to Siebs incidentally?
What should he take credit for? Sitting one game under .500 and fighting for our post season lives is nothing to be proud of. Seibs was supposed to take us to the next level according to most fans but instead we have dropped two levels. Fans are now banking on the future just like every other fan from every other club. Nothing is assured in this dysfunctional sport and when he deserves the credit, he will certainly get it from me. He has shown me nothing yet that even resembles a premiership winning coach. Only time will tell.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
What should he take credit for? Sitting one game under .500 and fighting for our post season lives is nothing to be proud of. Seibs was supposed to take us to the next level according to most fans but instead we have dropped two levels. Fans are now banking on the future just like every other fan from every other club. Nothing is assured in this dysfunctional sport and when he deserves the credit, he will certainly get it from me. He has shown me nothing yet that even resembles a premiership winning coach. Only time will tell.
How has the side dropped two levels? They are currently sitting 8th and seem like competition also rans but with the potential to be more, that seems like the last two seasons to me. This has also been done with a huge injury list, player turnover, late pre-season and club upheaval.

He is basically where Bennett was last year, maybe one level behind but with a team with massive potential moving forward. His use of the bench has also improved out of sight since earlier in the season.

A new coach isn't going to be able to come into a stagnating club with some baggage and turn everything around instantly. He seems to be getting better but time will tell. The jury is still out but the more recent evidence suggest a trend in the right direction as opposed to earlier in the season where there were very legitimate concerns.

The Broncos will also likely be blown away by Melbourne, so unless they are in it up to their eyeballs, this seems status quo to previous seasons. This week is very much a test of whether improvement has been made or not.

This is a realistic view.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
If I saw any material improvement on last year. He was brought in to improve us and to this point I don’t think he has. I wasn’t talking about seibold when I made the comment though.
TPJ seems to be improving (this is arguable for sure), Staggs has improved, Haas has improved, Flegler has improved, Carrigan is DEFINITELY improving, the club attitude seems to have improved, bench use has definitely improved, Milford seems happier, Turps has improved, Joffa seems to have improved slightly, Glenn is playing better than ever.

Most of this could probably be argued but some cannot. I mean, improvement is not hard to see if you actually spend a minute or less looking for it.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
How has the side dropped two levels? They are currently sitting 8th and seem like competition also rans but with the potential to be more, that seems like the last two seasons to me. This has also been done with a huge injury list, player turnover, late pre-season and club upheaval.

He is basically where Bennett was last year, maybe one level behind but with a team with massive potential moving forward. His use of the bench has also improved out of sight since earlier in the season.

A new coach isn't going to be able to come into a stagnating club with some baggage and turn everything around instantly. He seems to be getting better but time will tell. The jury is still out but the more recent evidence suggest a trend in the right direction as opposed to earlier in the season where there were very legitimate concerns.

The Broncos will also likely be blown away by Melbourne, so unless they are in it up to their eyeballs, this seems status quo to previous seasons. This week is very much a test of whether improvement has been made or not.

This is a realistic view.
Why does the club have massive potential moving forward this year but not last? The young guys we've got pushing through now were all here last year too.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter