PRE-GAME [Round 2, 2022] Bulldogs vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with the prospect of various outlets reporting wrong info - I take that for granted and check other sources - all I'm asking for is another source to verify @1910 's take. "Trust me" isn't enough. It's not personal.

I want our Roster and Casualty/Suspension threads to be the gold standard.

It's not my take- it's there in black and white- he's been playing while you claim he's been suspended and can't play. You keep saying he didn't play finals which is just mind blowing.

I have been telling you since September it's the case. You can't play ISC if you're suspended in NRL.

Previous discussion on Piakura's suspension was here

Timeline:
- Piakura was suspended in the Sharks game on 28th of August,
- Doesn't play or get named in the NRL match vs knights or the devils match vs Wynnum on 5th of Sep
- Doesn't get named vs Jets on 11th September the following week
- Named on the bench in the devils team vs Tweed for finals week 1
- Then gets named to start in Week 3 vs Bears where he gets knocked out within about 5mins ending his season.

His suspension was served last year NRL and Fox are just idiots that only care about NSWRL.

If the broncos coaching staff wanted to play Piakura last week they definitely could have... if they were believing the NRL records and not doing their own recording of player availability then that's on them for missing it and not proving the fact to NRL to rectify their nonsense records.
So aside from this specific case, how does the NRL actually determine when a suspension is served? I assume Piakura played enough Queensland Cup games to be eligible to serve his suspension in both competitions but it does seem like that would be a pretty big potential loop hole that might be out there for teams to exploit?

It's not my take- it's there in black and white- he's been playing while you claim he's been suspended and can't play and I am wrong and he didn't play finals.

I have been telling you since September it's the case. You can't play ISC if you're suspended in NRL.
That makes sense to me, but I still don’t get how you can serve suspensions across two competitions at the same time? I’m not saying that’s not currently allowed, I’m just wondering if it really should be?

I'm fine with the prospect of various outlets reporting wrong info - I take that for granted and check other sources - all I'm asking for is another source to verify @1910 's take. "Trust me" isn't enough. It's not personal.

I want our Roster and Casualty/Suspension threads to be the gold standard.

At any rate, it's moot now. Everyone agrees he's available. Let's see if he's picked today.
I suggest you lower your expectations then because the source material you need is diabolical.
The NRL quite literally make it up as they go depending on the players and clubs involved as we saw this preseason with the All Stars match. You’re flogging a dead horse expecting to be right based on the information they put out to the fans I reckon.

It's not my take- it's there in black and white- he's been playing while you claim he's been suspended and can't play. You keep saying he didn't play finals which is just mind blowing.

I'm not claiming anything. I have at least half a dozen other sources saying he was suspended last week and you're up me for not taking your word for it. I know how these sites work. A combination of copying from someone else and never updating. This one has been particularity enduring though. I've heard multiple commentators say he's suspended and the official NRL site says he's suspended.

I've never not believed you; all I'm asking for is a single external source that supports your claim. I hold everyone to the same standard.

I suggest you lower your expectations then because the source material you need is diabolical.
The NRL quite literally make it up as they go depending on the players and clubs involved as we saw this preseason with the All Stars match. You’re flogging a dead horse expecting to be right based on the information they put out to the fans I reckon.
I think the NRL was right to change that. If they are saying someone is ineligible to play a game, it should absolutely count towards the suspension. NRL has made some really good changes in the off season.

That makes sense to me, but I still don’t get how you can serve suspensions across two competitions at the same time? I’m not saying that’s not currently allowed, I’m just wondering if it really should be?
If you think this is tricky, try keeping track of the roster thread.

The gold standard is having multiple independent sources.

You'd think the Gold standard would be the NRL website:

The NRL (Black and) Gold standard.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Kelly
7. Reno
8. Palasia (no point changing a winning pick)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. ??? Riki looks vulnerable here(Piakura?)
13. Carrigan

14. Walters
15. James
16. Hetherington
17. Jensen

No idea if this will even be close, that is from 8 upwards with the exception of Haas, Carrigan Capewell and Turps. Any news on Capewell's shoulder?

Truthfully, if I was picking I'd find it hard to drop anyone from a winning side but someone must make way for Reynolds.
Maybe the whole reasoning of picking Roberts in round 1 was because they knew they had to drop someone for Reynolds and he would be a easy option

You'd think the Gold standard would be the NRL website:

I've found mistakes in it before - but they usually correct it eventually - so I'm totally okay with @1910 saying they're wrong. Same with Fox, who seem to use their own sources. The Telegraph is woefully sloppy routinely putting out team lists containing players who are suspended or injured - and mentioning that in the accompanying text. So if I'm appearing belligerent it's because I don't trust any single source, regardless of its credibility on other matters.

Dobbo, Wally, Badel, Ikin, Walters and any current Broncos player has higher credibility than the NRL site. And we certainly question them as sources.

So aside from this specific case, how does the NRL actually determine when a suspension is served? I assume Piakura played enough Queensland Cup games to be eligible to serve his suspension in both competitions but it does seem like that would be a pretty big potential loop hole that might be out there for teams to exploit?
In that case Piakura had played more than 5 games of ISC or whatever it was, which allowed him to then play in the ISC finals if he was fit and available... can check the first post of the thread I linked.

The loophole you're talking about I'm assuming would be associated with a Flegler situation... in that instance he played zero ISC games last year and was therefore not eligible to have his suspensions served out as part of ISC finals games.

Also players are affiliated to a reserve grade team at the start of the year so Broncos couldn't come out and say all our suspended players are now affiliated with Norths therefore all their suspensions are being served by their run to the grand final

It's not dissimilar to players serving out performance enhancing drugs suspensions... they're banned from all eligible competitions it falls under.

For ISC they fall under QRL and NSWRL, which fall under NRL/ARL so suspensions would apply across both competitions I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • kwomo
  • jarro65
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.