PRE-GAME [Round 2, 2022] Bulldogs vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy:

“I‘m about to have a chat with Kevvie and tell him you can’t change a winning team. Reyno might have to go back to Souths or Wynnum or Norths or wherever he is affiliated. I was always happy to get a spot in the 17, which I still am, but you need to have bigger ambitions."​
“When you are just happy to be on the bench, it can hold you back a little bit, so I have made my goal in pre-season to be in the No.6 and not worry about playing hooker or off the bench. I just wanted to make sure the six was mine and I got it for round one."​
“Who knows what will happen next week because Alby had a bloody blinder. I hope I have done enough, but Alby had a really good game and Kevvie didn‘t tell us who would have the six jersey before Reyno got ruled out, so it’s a choice for him.”​
“Benji Marshall helped me bring out my running game again. It disappeared a bit when I came to the NRL, I got so focused on making sure my defence was right. That is a big part of the game but the biggest asset in my footy career has been my running game and Benji helped bring that out in me. He is a great ball-runner himself so he gave me confidence again in that area.”​

Daddy:

“Yes, Adam came out of isolation, he will do some training over the weekend and join the boys on Monday for our prep against the Bulldogs.​

McHunt

Just been looking through last seasons stats on James and I can see where some of you are coming from. He's pretty good in the tackling department and okay in the metreage with 8m per run. He is a bit of a penalty magnet though with 8 from 14 which I'd guess were mostly holding down penalties. He was sinbinned once too which supports that.For comparison RK had just 6 from 16 (surprised?)no sinbin.

Another interesting stat was offloading and I was surprised to see he had just the single offload in 14 games. For contrast RK had 19 in 16 games. Jame's error rate was pretty damn good too with just 2 from 14 games. Again for contrast RK had 4 from 16 which is mighty low too.

Missed tackles is where James shines though and he's clearly got the wood on RK there. I can see the merit of an argument for him over RK if defence is the key stat. Of course it's not the only thing because we'd all call Turps a world beater!

Conclusion? Both players make few mistakes and concede few penalties which will come as a shock to many on here. Either or for the bench then. I have to think James metre contribution the other night was an aberration as he averages 8 as I wrote earlier.

Billy:

“I‘m about to have a chat with Kevvie and tell him you can’t change a winning team. Reyno might have to go back to Souths or Wynnum or Norths or wherever he is affiliated. I was always happy to get a spot in the 17, which I still am, but you need to have bigger ambitions."

“When you are just happy to be on the bench, it can hold you back a little bit, so I have made my goal in pre-season to be in the No.6 and not worry about playing hooker or off the bench. I just wanted to make sure the six was mine and I got it for round one."

“Who knows what will happen next week because Alby had a bloody blinder. I hope I have done enough, but Alby had a really good game and Kevvie didn‘t tell us who would have the six jersey before Reyno got ruled out, so it’s a choice for him.”

“Benji Marshall helped me bring out my running game again. It disappeared a bit when I came to the NRL, I got so focused on making sure my defence was right. That is a big part of the game but the biggest asset in my footy career has been my running game and Benji helped bring that out in me. He is a great ball-runner himself so he gave me confidence again in that area.”

Daddy:

“Yes, Adam came out of isolation, he will do some training over the weekend and join the boys on Monday for our prep against the Bulldogs.

McHunt
One thing that doesn't work in Billys favour for being the 6 for round 2 is how good he was at 9 in the trials, he's alot better at 9 than Albert and it's hard to split them on who was the better half against the rabbits.
I'd be happy with either option at 6 but Billy will be more effective and a better balance for the team wearing the 14.

One thing that doesn't work in Billys favour for being the 6 for round 2 is how good he was at 9 in the trials, he's alot better at 9 than Albert and it's hard to split them on who was the better half against the rabbits.
I'd be happy with either option at 6 but Billy will be more effective and a better balance for the team wearing the 14.
I think Billy's running game was better than Albert's, but Albert's ball playing was miles better.

I think for us we do need one of our halves to be a runner otherwise we could end up being a bit too sideways... given Reynolds lack of a running game to date in his career.

We know that Albert has a running game, but I haven't seen it too much over the last two years... whether that's been because he's had to effectively be the 7 and game manage or because he's a little hesitant to run nowadays (for whatever reason)... but I don't think we want a pure ball player outside Reynolds.

I think both of them get in the 17 next week, mainly as a reward for round 1, but preference would be that Billy can take that utility role because of what he brings to the hooker position (also allows Paix to develop in ISC) and it allows Albert to be the 6, and we can hope that he is that attacking spark at 6 that we need.

Selwyn Cobbo:

“Steve Renouf has given me plenty of advice in pre-season. He has been really helpful for me. He has told me to just be confident in what I do and don’t go away from how I play my natural game. I played to a standard that I wanted to play at and I’m just glad we got the win as a team. I have improved a lot in pre-season. It was my first full pre-season and I’m learning all the time about the game and how to get better.”​
“I don’t let all that stuff comparisons to Mitchell go to my head. I just block it all out, it goes through one ear and out the other, I don’t take notice of all that stuff. I try not to have any doubts when I go out there, it’s important to stay calm and focused and enjoy the game.”​

Kevin Walters:

“If you know Selwyn, away from the field, he is quiet and shy, but when he crosses that line, he just lights it up. All of his carries against Souths, his catching, he was very good. There was a lot of pressure on him to play well and he delivered in the best way he can.”​

Kurt Capewell:

“Selwyn is a quiet kid. What he did was pretty special, he made some big plays and I’m happy to have him in our team, that’s for sure.”​

McHunt

If we don't wipe the floor with these numpties with Reyno back in the side, we are kidding ourselves.

I think Billy's running game was better than Albert's, but Albert's ball playing was miles better.

I think for us we do need one of our halves to be a runner otherwise we could end up being a bit too sideways... given Reynolds lack of a running game to date in his career.

We know that Albert has a running game, but I haven't seen it too much over the last two years... whether that's been because he's had to effectively be the 7 and game manage or because he's a little hesitant to run nowadays (for whatever reason)... but I don't think we want a pure ball player outside Reynolds.

I think both of them get in the 17 next week, mainly as a reward for round 1, but preference would be that Billy can take that utility role because of what he brings to the hooker position (also allows Paix to develop in ISC) and it allows Albert to be the 6, and we can hope that he is that attacking spark at 6 that we need.
Yeah that's true but with players like Staggs, Cobbo, Herbie and Oates sitting outside a 6 with a run first mentality are they going to be abit starved of the ball..
Our fullbacks in Issako and Nui are also run first players not high class ball players.
From what we've seen Albert is more of the ball player out of the 2 but also has a good running game, Walters his running game was great and I know he would have abit of ball playing ability and if he's the 6 he needs to bring that to the table to utilise the players outside him.
A good combination of ball playing and a running game in our 6 would work perfect with Reynolds at 7 and a runner at Fullback.

If we don't wipe the floor with these numpties with Reyno back in the side, we are kidding ourselves.

I can't stand comments like this, these are the exact things that were said after we dusted up Wynnum in the trials

Canterbury have a decent side and we ourselves.. one win doesn't change it all, nice to get the result but it matters for nothing if we can't do it consistently

However based on the Dogs tonight, I think we should be able to beat them but it's hardly a "we are kidding ourselves" situation if we don't

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Our record on the road is SHOCKING! And TPJ will be out for blood (which could go either way for us, but with our "luck" the ref's will allow his aggro). Our players also have an unbelievably impressive record of getting ahead of themselves, leading to shocking results...

This place if we do lose will be insanely entertaining though!

I can't stand comments like this, these are the exact things that were said after we dusted up Wynnum in the trials

Canterbury have a decent side and we ourselves.. one win doesn't change it all, nice to get the result but it matters for nothing if we can't do it consistently

However based on the Dogs tonight, I think we should be able to beat them but it's hardly a "we are kidding ourselves" situation if we don't
Exactly. Tonight's game and Friday's match were very similar. All four sides looked clueless in attack and not at all convincing, to say the least. In fact, the error count was significantly higher on Friday. Souths were abysmal and they will be hanging out on our end of the ladder if they don't improve.

I'm all for gloating when my team is going well but I think I might give it 12 games or so before getting too excited. Anyone who thinks the next two matches are sure wins are kidding themselves. It could easily be the opposite.

The Broncos did some really good things on Friday. They looked extremely fit and were really committed for each other. But for the moment, they are on the same level as teams such as the Dogs, Tigers and Cows. It's up to them to graduate out of this group. They are a long way from that though and still have serious struggles ahead.

Exactly. Tonight's game and Friday's match were very similar. All four sides looked clueless in attack and not at all convincing, to say the least. In fact, the error count was significantly higher on Friday. Souths were abysmal and they will be hanging out on our end of the ladder if they don't improve.

I'm all for gloating when my team is going well but I think I might give it 12 games or so before getting too excited. Anyone who thinks the next two matches are sure wins are kidding themselves. It could easily be the opposite.

The Broncos did some really good things on Friday. They looked extremely fit and were really committed for each other. But for the moment, they are on the same level as teams such as the Dogs, Tigers and Cows. It's up to them to graduate out of this group. They are a long way from that though and still have serious struggles ahead.
yep , I'll be happy with another ugly win . Definitely some promising signs but can't read into to much at the start of the season, just gotta keep building.

yep , I'll be happy with another ugly win . Definitely some promising signs but can't read into to much at the start of the season, just gotta keep building.

Some big ins should help with that.

I’m just counting down 12 wins with a hope we scrape in to the finals. Wasn’t expecting to knock the first one over so soon - 11 to go !

Yeah that's true but with players like Staggs, Cobbo, Herbie and Oates sitting outside a 6 with a run first mentality are they going to be abit starved of the ball..
Our fullbacks in Issako and Nui are also run first players not high class ball players.
From what we've seen Albert is more of the ball player out of the 2 but also has a good running game, Walters his running game was great and I know he would have abit of ball playing ability and if he's the 6 he needs to bring that to the table to utilise the players outside him.
A good combination of ball playing and a running game in our 6 would work perfect with Reynolds at 7 and a runner at Fullback.
Billy was all run first on the weekend and missed a few opportunities, but I think we definitely need our 6 to be some sort of threat running.

I know Albert can be a threat running I just cant recall seeing it over the last couple years.

In my comment I did say my preference would be Albert 6 and Billy 14, but I get the feeling Kevvie will go Billy 6 and Albert 14... and that could be justified because Billy's running game was quite good... he also showed some ball playing a few times in the trials and to be honest he probably trialled the best out of all the halves that played.

There were several times that Billy had the arm free vs Souths and if Capewell or Herbie were running back following him the pass was there all day.

We need to make sure we have that running threat at 6... otherwise everyone will know our default is to get it out to Staggs / Herbie and sides will double up on them.

We have threats in Capewell, Riki, Staggs, Cobbo and Herbie so getting it to the edges is a must for our attack, but we cant be a one trick pony where the defence knows we're always passing on a backline movement

Billy was all run first on the weekend and missed a few opportunities, but I think we definitely need our 6 to be some sort of threat running.

I know Albert can be a threat running I just cant recall seeing it over the last couple years.

In my comment I did say my preference would be Albert 6 and Billy 14, but I get the feeling Kevvie will go Billy 6 and Albert 14... and that could be justified because Billy's running game was quite good... he also showed some ball playing a few times in the trials and to be honest he probably trialled the best out of all the halves that played.

There were several times that Billy had the arm free vs Souths and if Capewell or Herbie were running back following him the pass was there all day.

We need to make sure we have that running threat at 6... otherwise everyone will know our default is to get it out to Staggs / Herbie and sides will double up on them.

We have threats in Capewell, Riki, Staggs, Cobbo and Herbie so getting it to the edges is a must for our attack, but we cant be a one trick pony where the defence knows we're always passing on a backline movement
Yeah most definitely, my preference is Kelly 6 and Billy 14 as I think that would work better with a rotation with Turpin but I'd be happy either way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Rambstien
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Lozza
  • Howie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.