Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
119780-6458be22-a6a4-11e3-94c1-d923b8b77352.jpg

Perhaps if you put a pic of both of them as the avatar, they will both fire and form a great halves combination..

Hover hand hug, come on guys.

$38 bucks to sit in the nosebleeds, glad I'm not there!!

I'm tipping our boys to get up tomorrow, Hope Barba absolutely shines at suncorp.

Also as I was browsing foxsports I noticed this in an article :

"One area of concern for Queensland in the wing with Darius Boyd suffering a hamstring injury on the weekend and while Brent Tate is a likely replacement, they have a set of more than capable young guns in Kyle Feldt (Cowboys) and Lachlan Maranta (Broncos).

Both flyers scored tries on the weekend and have proved they pose the skills to find the line when under pressure."

Literally the worst aspect of his game.
Whatever this journo is smoking, I want in.

I'm tipping our boys to get up tomorrow, Hope Barba absolutely shines at suncorp.

Also as I was browsing foxsports I noticed this in an article :

"One area of concern for Queensland in the wing with Darius Boyd suffering a hamstring injury on the weekend and while Brent Tate is a likely replacement, they have a set of more than capable young guns in Kyle Feldt (Cowboys) and Lachlan Maranta (Broncos).

Both flyers scored tries on the weekend and have proved they pose the skills to find the line when under pressure."

Literally the worst aspect of his game.
Whatever this journo is smoking, I want in.

Lazy, lazy journos who seemingly rewrite history after each round.

I forgot I'm going out for dinner tomorrow night with the missus. Won't get home till around 9. Gonna need to avoid the radio and the internet, :laugh:.

Griffin: Broncos must lift to another level - NRL.com

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin is fully aware his side cannot rest on their laurels and must up the ante when they tackle the Cowboys tomorrow night at Suncorp Stadium.

Pleased with the defensive performance displayed against the Bulldogs in Round 1, Griffin recognises that his team will have to lift their attacking game in order to match it with the free-flowing style of the Cowboys and the various threats they present across the park.

"They've obviously got some excellent attack with (Johnathan) Thurston, (Robert) Lui and (Michael) Morgan at the back," Griffin said.

"We won't get home on what we did last week – we'll have to go to another level."

Not only do the Broncos need to contend with the attacking potency of their Queensland cousins and the pressure-cooker atmosphere of a local derby, they'll need to be on guard against the ominous presence of the Cowboys' massive forward pack.

"It'll be a real tough match – they always are," he said.

"Whenever we play each other it's got its own significance no matter what time of the year, so I'm sure it's going to be a very tough game of football.

"They have a magnificent pack with the two Test front-rowers leading them."

The brute strength and size of Cowboys' bookends Matt Scott and James Tamou is already a known quantity to opposition teams, but after Jason Taumalolo's barnstorming performance against the Raiders last week, the Broncos have a new beast to tame.

"He's big, athletic and he backs himself with the football," Griffin said about 20-year-old Taumalolo.

"He hasn't been around for long, but he's making an impact and some of his runs last week against the Raiders were extremely powerful, so it's going to be a very tough task to try and contain him."

The other obvious hazard standing in the way of the Broncos and another two competition points is the ever-present danger of Johnathan Thurston.

The Cowboys' co-captain was at his scintillating best last weekend, scoring one try and setting up two others as his side came from 16 points down to pip Canberra 28-22 in Townsville.

"Every team that plays the Cowboys does a lot of homework on Johnathan Thurston and his strengths," the Broncos coach said.
"So it's about getting out there and trying to limit those strengths on Friday night."

Griffin also believes the new rule regarding quick taps is likely to benefit the quick thinking Thurston, as he demonstrated with a 60-metre run from a penalty-tap against the Raiders.

"It gives all the halves a better chance and it will make him more dangerous if the ruck speeds up," he said.

"The halves have got more time to play and the defensive line isn't coming at them as fast and as often.

"It's going to give all the ball players more opportunity."

The Broncos coach assured all at a packed media conference that his side have studied Thurston's performance in Round 1 and are prepared for the multiple threats he can pose – including the quick-tap option.

"Whether it's a tricky kick or a quick tap, that's why he's so good – he reads play and reads the opposition – so we certainly have to be ready for that," he said.

"He's proven he competes for 80 minutes and he can get you by the throat.

"He's got a really good touch with his kicking game and good selection with his passing game, so he's just one of those players that you've got to play 80 minutes against to try and contain him."

Last edited:
Lazy, lazy journos who seemingly rewrite history after each round.

Just wait until the Reed is the best eligible centre to replace Hodges for Qld start.

Going to the leagues club for this game tomorrow night. It should be an absolute cracker.

Cowboys would have matched our offer and that would have given Thurston a reason to stay.

He said himself he wants to stay at the Cowboys, but for the right price..

Broncos obviously had their mind set on luring Smith to the club.

Brutal honesty from Brisbane bosses helped pave the way for Paul Green to reach the Cowboys

• Todd Balym
  • News Limited
  • March 13, 2014 11:00PM

PAUL Green always wanted to be a head coach, but it was some brutal honesty from Brisbane bosses five years ago that helped pave the way for him to reach his destination with North Queensland.

As Green prepares to lead the Cowboys to Suncorp Stadium tonight it is worth noting the gentle pushing from his former Broncos bosses that helped him get to this point in his career.

Green was a Broncos assistant coach to Ivan Henjak in 2009 when he pulled then chief executive Bruno Cullen and football manager Andrew Gee aside to talk about his own future and how he could one day realise his head coach ambitions.

Cullen and Gee never wanted Green to leave Red Hill, but knew he needed more experience to add to his resume to reach that goal.

“We were both of the same mind, you have to go and coach, you have to go and coach your own team,” Cullen said.

“He took that opportunity and went over to Wynnum and hit pay-dirt straight away with two premierships in a row.

“That’s a good solid apprenticeship.”

Griffin was the Broncos under-20s coach at this time. He was brought to Brisbane by Wayne Bennett, who had been impressed by his decade-long apprenticeship which included success with Redcliffe.

When Green left to chase his own dreams at the end of 2009 it was Griffin who joined Henjak’s staff as an assistant and just 12 months later took the head coach full-time.

The same year Griffin took charge of the Broncos, Green took Wynnum to the first of two premierships.

They were the runs Green needed on the board before any NRL club would look seriously at him as a head coach.

“Absolutely, that was an important step in his career and it was a smart one,” Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said.

“He could have made the easy decision and stay at the Broncos. “But to go there and have his own team and then be successful in the first two years of doing that, it’s a big tick now when you look at his resume.”

Green is only a few months into his Cowboys career but the signs are promising that like Griffin he could be settling in for a long haul.

“I know he’s going to be a great coach, I know what an effect he has had on this place already and I truly believe he will be a great coach,” veteran Cowboys centre Brent Tate said.

“Some coaches are better than others and they have their styles. But Greeny has spent time under Wayne Bennett and Graham Murray and he’s picked up tips from them.

He’s definitely had a real positive effect on the place.”

Now Green returns to Suncorp Stadium to face the Broncos tonight and although he will be sitting in an opposite coaching box to Gee and Griffin, nobody is prouder of the former halfback’s rise to Cowboys coach than the Brisbane bosses who helped him on his way.

“It’s great to see them both succeed, they’re both determined, they’re both focused on what they want to do and what they want to achieve,” Cullen said.

“You’ve got to have that really steely resolve to try and live out your ambitions and I think they’re both doing that.

“Greeny is a little tiger, a typical little halfback, he was very determined and so he was always wanting to learn, keen to learn, there early, leave late to do whatever he thought he needed to do to keep improving.

“The improvement (in him) has been, curve is probably the wrong word, it’s been quite a vertical thing for him.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...each-the-cowboys/story-e6frf3rc-1226854193940

Last edited:
lets turn this into another "broncos recruitment sucks" thread yay briliant!

going to the game. honestly can't wait. feeling good about our chances but realistically i wont be surprised if cowboys put us away. think it will be close though. carn broncs

Last edited:
lets turn this into another "broncos recruitment sucks" thread yay briliant!

going to the game. honestly can't wait. feeling good about our chances but realistically i wont be surprised if cowboys put us away. think it will be close though. carn broncs

Me too noise. Can't wait let's go boys!

i will be supporting vicariously through the roar of the crowd, as I am going to be stuck behind a bar at suncorp.

carn lads

i will be supporting vicariously through the roar of the crowd, as I am going to be stuck behind a bar at suncorp.

carn lads

You can serve me my beers :)

Well, looks like my missus doesn't want to go to dinner tonight as she's out all day today.

Damn, now I'm gonna have to watch the game live in front of my TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.