Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Are we a chance of signing Lodge for this year, or do you need to be the rorters or Eels to get rep quality (hopefully ex) scum on bargain basement prices?

It doesn't seem like the NRL want to register his contract until they are satisfied he won't bring the game into disrepute again.

I would say we are no chance of signing him this year, but next year could be a different story.

The NRL usually like to wait at least a year and observe the player first.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Are we a chance of signing Lodge for this year, or do you need to be the rorters or Eels to get rep quality (hopefully ex) scum on bargain basement prices?
Not too sure he's needed at this stage

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Watched Redcliffe. Lodge was very good. Pearson was solid. One thing I would say is I reckon if Whitchurch could improve his handling he would be a very good back rower.

Did Whitchurch fumble again? He must do it every game. Otherwise you are right he would be great.
Mead scored a try for Wynnum against Souths. Wasn't paying enough attention to notice too much else from Offa, Scarlett, Isaako or Rockley for that matter.

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
I shall look forward to JT kicking to an offside player who will score and win the game, cos JT is god. That is all.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Did Whitchurch fumble again? He must do it every game. Otherwise you are right he would be great.
Mead scored a try for Wynnum against Souths. Wasn't paying enough attention to notice too much else from Offa, Scarlett, Isaako or Rockley for that matter.

Can't recall anything major from Whitchurch. Was playing in the centres for Redcliffe though.

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
Can't recall anything major from Whitchurch. Was playing in the centres for Redcliffe though.
Had a great run or two.
Looked solid.
He went OK

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Watched Redcliffe. Lodge was very good. Pearson was solid. One thing I would say is I reckon if Whitchurch could improve his handling he would be a very good back rower.

Let's not ever revisit Whitchurch ever again. He has been an epic fail at NRL level twice. No need for a third go I'm sure we have established he is qrl quality only.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
I shall look forward to JT kicking to an offside player who will score and win the game, cos JT is god. That is all.
It's getting to : Do I really want to watch this game?
But if we win I'll miss out.
Just makes me sick watching J.T. win AGAIN.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Just out of curiosity, does Matt Lodge have another job outside of football? Or does he have a full time contract worth a fair bit at the moment?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Taumalolo's strength is that he is able to get so many metres after contact. Even with 3 or 4 defenders he'll still make huge metres and get a fast play-the-ball. So should the tactic be to go low on him? It puts him at risk of offloads and a quick PTB, but he has that risk anyway, is it better to simply accept that and limit his metres? Or better yet, have McCullough go low, Blair or Sims go high, and have Milford and Hunt sniffing beside the ruck ready to intercept any offloads?

But I do agree on the #1 priority - wear him out by making him tackle. He does tire easily that way, I've seen him very vulnerable after repeated efforts in defence, but it has to be maintained throughout the game, as he recovers bloody fast.

For mine, bugger contact. You can't run without legs, and it only takes one tackler with the right tackling technique to do that instead of having 2-3 players sucked in .... and, also, it's the same with Taumalolo as it is with even "little" men like JT, Morgan, or any player with good passing/offloading skills - their support runners must always be closely marked.

Equally, as far as tackling technique goes, I still can't forget Thaiday - one defender - doing the job on JWH in THAT game v Roosters.

In defence, tackling technique is everything, and often the difference between winning and losing.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
You can't stop Taumalolo's impact. Teams know how good he is and he still runs for 200m plus every game. Just got to do your best.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
For mine, bugger contact. You can't run without legs, and it only takes one tackler with the right tackling technique to do that instead of having 2-3 players sucked in .... and, also, it's the same with Taumalolo as it is with even "little" men like JT, Morgan, or any player with good passing/offloading skills - their support runners must always be closely marked.

Equally, as far as tackling technique goes, I still can't forget Thaiday - one defender - doing the job on JWH in THAT game v Roosters.

In defence, tackling technique is everything, and often the difference between winning and losing.

That effort from Thaiday was superb, totally inspiring. I really don't thi k i've ever been more proud of a Broncos forward as i was that night.

While tackling is a lot to do with technique, it is also a lot about attitude.
We need our defenders going in hard and low on Taumalolo...it's the only way to stop him.

What we also need to do against the Cowboys, and all other sides for that matter, is to keep them from getting quick play the balls.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
He'd be an improvement on Ese'Ese or Arrow imo, or excellent depth at the very least.

If I had to choose between persisting with Ese Ese/Arrow or bringing that grub in, I would comfortably pick the former.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

"They can't run without legs" and targeting the hips to disrupt balance was what we learned in Under 8's. With all the "catching" in defence you kind of just need one around the legs and another in sideways at the hips. It's why players like Klemmer lift their knees so high, specifically to ward tacklers off going low. They'd much rather their legs be free so they can keep driving for 10 metres after impact. Macca's defensive style is perfect for going low, and he definitely has the guts and will to put himself on the line. Sims then to come in to timber him over, or better yet, aim for under the ribs or under the ball to show him that if wants to offload, he's just as likely to he forced in to error.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
"They can't run without legs" and targeting the hips to disrupt balance was what we learned in Under 8's. With all the "catching" in defence you kind of just need one around the legs and another in sideways at the hips. It's why players like Klemmer lift their knees so high, specifically to ward tacklers off going low. They'd much rather their legs be free so they can keep driving for 10 metres after impact. Macca's defensive style is perfect for going low, and he definitely has the guts and will to put himself on the line. Sims then to come in to timber him over, or better yet, aim for under the ribs or under the ball to show him that if wants to offload, he's just as likely to he forced in to error.

Points well made. At the same time, tackling 101, be it under 8 or NRL 1st Grade is for the tackler to be moving forward into the tackle, target the core and drive up from low to high, which is in part exactly why defensive line speed is important.

Better to meet Taumololo and Scott (and Klemmer) on the front foot than stand and wait to be steam rolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Cavalo
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jedhead
  • Sproj
  • Volvo Driver
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.