PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

Nikorima doesn't really have a lot of time if he wants to be the starting half. If we drop games the pressure will mount and they'll chop him. For sure.

The problem Milford is currently having isn't going to be solved by a move to fullback.
Really? Releasing him of the burden to manage/organise the team, let him run the ball and sniff around the ruck for opportunities to apply his skills wouldn't solve his problem? Why not?
It would even allow him to drop a few kegs, since he wouldn't have to defend in the line. Same goes for KNik btw...

This we do

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Isaako (couldn’t do much worse plus looks like actually what’s to defend)
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Tagataese
11. TPJ
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Murphy
15. Glenn
16. Sims
17. Fai

This we do

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Isaako (couldn’t do much worse plus looks like actually what’s to defend)
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Tagataese
11. TPJ
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Murphy
15. Glenn
16. Sims
17. Fai

Why manufacture a centre when we have one waiting? Need a defensive centre to compensate for Milford. Would be throwing isaako to the wolves in 3rd Nrl game, leave him on the wing.

Why manufacture a centre when we have one waiting? Need a defensive centre to compensate for Milford. Would be throwing isaako to the wolves in 3rd Nrl game, leave him on the wing.

To be fair while known for being a poor defender he has played more games at centre than wing

What happened to the we won 13 games with Kodi at half last season so the combo is proven and works?

I'm curious, has anyone seen Isaako defend at centre? Or are people just putting him there because he is a big boy and for some reason centres must be monsters?

Watch him defend at centre.. He won't exactly fill you with confidence.

I'm curious, has anyone seen Isaako defend at centre? Or are people just putting him there because he is a big boy and for some reason centres must be monsters?

He may if he’s up against linnet. In all serious he won’t be playing at centre and even being one of our best on Thursday may not get him a spot in the 17 this week.

C26b1565b8f077042ffb092a883ad77d

Andrew McCullough ready to start in boost for Broncos ahead of Cowboys clash

March 11, 2018

WAYNE Bennett will thrust Andrew McCullough into his starting side for Friday’s blockbuster derby against the Cowboys in a bid to stifle North Queensland’s all-star forward pack.

The Broncos will start underdogs in the Suncorp Stadium showdown after being burned 34-12 by the Dragons in last Thursday’s NRL season opener.

The defeat to St George-Illawarra raised serious questions about Brisbane halves Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima while Bennett turned the blowtorch on his misfiring forwards.

But one positive from the Kogarah debacle was McCullough emerging unscathed in his return from a knee reconstruction.

McCullough, 28, is considered to be the heart-and-soul of the Broncos and his season-ending knee injury in July last year was a dagger to Brisbane’s premiership campaign.

McCullough’s defensive influence against the Dragons was so prominent he topped Brisbane’s tackle count (33) despite playing only 46 minutes from the bench after Sam Thaiday started at hooker.

The Broncos have been carefully managing McCullough’s return, however the feisty No. 9 told Bennett he was ready to start at dummy-half in the 2015 grand final rematch.

“He will start,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail.

“We will play it by ear (whether he plays 80 minutes) but he is certainly starting.

“He wanted to start after the game. He was happy.

“It was his first game and he was happy with the way it all went. He got some confidence out of it.

“That’s what we were trying to achieve with him.”

The Cowboys’ all-star starting pack, led by Test stars Matt Scott, Jason Taumalolo and Jordan McLean, were excellent in last Friday’s defeat of Cronulla, while interchange forwards Scott Bolton and Coen Hess were also among North Queensland’s best.

Brisbane’s engine room face a stern test against their Cowboys counterparts but the sight of a relaxed McCullough in the Broncos’ sheds was one ray of hope to emerge from their insipid 34-12 loss to the Dragons.

Most NRL players returning from a knee reconstruction seek mental comfort in applying heavy strapping around their rebuilt knee.

Not McCullough. He felt no need for strapping. There was no ice pack in sight after putting his left knee through its first serious test since last July, when he snapped his ACL against Parramatta in a freak collision with former teammate Adam Blair.

“The knee pulled up really well. There were no mental scars, so I’m right now,” McCullough said after his successful comeback.

“I didn’t feel the need to strap it, that was pretty pointless in my mind.

“I didn’t feel my knee at all. I got into some situations where I tested it running and tackling and I didn’t feel it at all.

“I’m not sore at all, no ice was needed, so that’s a good sign and I’m ready for another long year.”

McCullough’s elevation to the starting 13 means less for Bennett to worry about after young forward Jaydn Su’A accepted a one-match suspension for a shoulder charge.

The likes of George Fai, Sam Tagataese and Todd Murphy are potential replacements for Su’A, with Bennett reluctant to blood teenage sensation Payne Haas.

Source: Courier Mail

I get the reluctance with Haas but can’t help thinking he’d be worth some game time. Wayne’s small minute forwards are exactly that 10-15 tops and worth a shot IMO

Morgan and Coote are expected back for this game.

Could he be any worse than moga and kahu?

Murphy was solid today, Taggers was great though. Got Norths off to a great start.

Taggers has scored 21 tries now in 25 games for Norths.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • Wild Horse
  • Brocko
  • pagey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • Allo
  • Scdeac
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Lurker
  • barker
  • Waynesaurus
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.