PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

Has Bennett lost the ruthlessness that made him a great coach? Does he trust his players too much? If boyd is still feeling the effects of his injury he's going to be a liability to the squad, but does Bennett still have it in him to say you can't play unless you're 100%?

I’m not talking about going from side to side without any thought of going forward. What I mean is while we don’t have the forwards or the hooker to bash and barge it up the middle we should be going two passes wide and getting our runners to isolate a defender then get a quick play the ball. Then as you say get people doing the one out runs too really get the defence on the back foot.

Again, that doesn't work.

If we have the defence on the back foot already, we have a chance to isolate defenders. But with the defence in our face, sending it wider means whatever runner gets the ball will still be meeting a wall, an organised wall at that, with no space to move.

If we have the defence on the back foot already, we have a chance to isolate defenders. But with the defence in our face, sending it wider means whatever runner gets the ball will still be meeting a wall, an organised wall at that, with no space to move.

Hey, it works in Rugby League Live 4 so it must work in real life.

That’s why you start your set out by spreading it against a rushing defence. Very rarely would teams send there whole line of defence on the first few tackles of a set. I’m not saying go from side to side, we need to work to a point and then smash that with straight rucks. I’m saying use that as a starting point for or sets .

Last edited:
Has Bennett lost the ruthlessness that made him a great coach? Does he trust his players too much? If boyd is still feeling the effects of his injury he's going to be a liability to the squad, but does Bennett still have it in him to say you can't play unless you're 100%?

You could probably say he doesn't

He has been like that with all of his star players over his coaching career.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=7fcd6a560bf4e1375e29703fd76f5b15-1520824051

IF Wayne Bennett was hoping for the right reaction to his team’s round one loss to the Dragons, the Broncos mentor certainly wasn’t seeing it in an extended training session at the club’s Red Hill base on Monday morning — and he reacted by delivering a fierce spray.
As Darius Boyd (hamstring) and Matt Gillett (neck soreness) had little involvement on day one of preparation for Friday night’s Queensland derby against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium, the rest of the squad were subjected to a punishing start to the week.
With a giant Cowboys pack looming in the distance, Broncos players completed a contact drill on the ground when Bennett singled out halves pairing Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford with an expletive-laden rant, unhappy with the intensity at which they were performing their work.
It’s a rare sight to see Bennett lose his cool — particularly so early in the season — but with his side sitting at the very foot of the NRL ladder after one week Korbin Sims told foxsports.com.au that it was actually a positive to see such passion in the master coach.
“As he is all the time, after a bad loss like that he just wants the best out of the side,” Sims said.
“He was just pushing the boys so we get better for this week.
“The best thing about football is that we’ve got another round the week after so everyone here today is really keen to get back into training and move on from the disappointing loss against the Dragons.”
After getting through his first game back from an ACL injury against the Dragons in last Thursday’s 34-12 loss, hooker Andrew McCullough is expected to return to the starting side on Friday night.
Like Sims, he too said the Bennett outburst was a good indicator of how the team will go into their next assignment.
“It is because he knows what this group can do and it was just disappointing on the weekend,” McCullough told foxsports.com.au.
“That’s what makes for a bit of a Monday. When you don’t do the things that we’ve been teaching ourselves over the last three months it’s quite disappointing.
“It’s a long year and we were doing some good stuff here today.”
Still troubled by the hamstring injury that kept him out of Australia’s World Cup campaign and flared up in pre-season, Boyd was restricted to light duties with the rehab group while Gillett didn’t get into the training field at all after having his head caught awkwardly in a tackle against St George Illawarra.
Both are expected to line up against the Cowboys on Friday night but there will be at least one change to the bench after young back-rower Jaydn Su’a accepted the early guilty plea for a shoulder charge on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan and will miss one game.
Former Sharks premiership winner Sam Tagataese came through his first game for Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup unscathed and would add considerable size and experience to a Broncos team desperate to muscle up on Friday.
“I don’t think it’s hard for the boys to get up for this one,” Sims said.
“They’ve been doing it for a long time now with the local derby and everyone should be up for this game.
“It was un-Bronco-like last week and it will be easy for the boys to get up for this weekend.
“Sam Tagataese has been good for the playing group and good for the some of the young Islander boys as well.
“He’s very experienced and still has a lot to offer.
“That’s why he came here. He still wants to play his best footy and that’s why everyone wants to come to a good club, to play their best footy and have fun.”

Welp, at least Bennett is crawling up their asses. Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence to hear some players are fart assing around so early into the season.

Watching the video of the incident, he really did let fly at Milford and Nikorima for looking very lethargic in tackling training. This is the best sign we've had yet that when it comes to our halves, we have a bad attitude problem on our hands. Very disappointing, especially from Milford.

Welp, at least Bennett is crawling up their asses. Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence to hear some players are fart assing around so early into the season.

I've never even seen Bennett giving any player a spray. Why do the cameras at training always miss this?

I've never even seen Bennett giving any player a spray. Why do the cameras at training always miss this?

They didn't miss this one. There's a video of it at the link from Fox Sports

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=7fcd6a560bf4e1375e29703fd76f5b15-1520824051

IF Wayne Bennett was hoping for the right reaction to his team’s round one loss to the Dragons, the Broncos mentor certainly wasn’t seeing it in an extended training session at the club’s Red Hill base on Monday morning — and he reacted by delivering a fierce spray.
As Darius Boyd (hamstring) and Matt Gillett (neck soreness) had little involvement on day one of preparation for Friday night’s Queensland derby against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium, the rest of the squad were subjected to a punishing start to the week.
With a giant Cowboys pack looming in the distance, Broncos players completed a contact drill on the ground when Bennett singled out halves pairing Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford with an expletive-laden rant, unhappy with the intensity at which they were performing their work.
It’s a rare sight to see Bennett lose his cool — particularly so early in the season — but with his side sitting at the very foot of the NRL ladder after one week Korbin Sims told foxsports.com.au that it was actually a positive to see such passion in the master coach.
“As he is all the time, after a bad loss like that he just wants the best out of the side,” Sims said.
“He was just pushing the boys so we get better for this week.
“The best thing about football is that we’ve got another round the week after so everyone here today is really keen to get back into training and move on from the disappointing loss against the Dragons.”
After getting through his first game back from an ACL injury against the Dragons in last Thursday’s 34-12 loss, hooker Andrew McCullough is expected to return to the starting side on Friday night.
Like Sims, he too said the Bennett outburst was a good indicator of how the team will go into their next assignment.
“It is because he knows what this group can do and it was just disappointing on the weekend,” McCullough told foxsports.com.au.
“That’s what makes for a bit of a Monday. When you don’t do the things that we’ve been teaching ourselves over the last three months it’s quite disappointing.
“It’s a long year and we were doing some good stuff here today.”
Still troubled by the hamstring injury that kept him out of Australia’s World Cup campaign and flared up in pre-season, Boyd was restricted to light duties with the rehab group while Gillett didn’t get into the training field at all after having his head caught awkwardly in a tackle against St George Illawarra.
Both are expected to line up against the Cowboys on Friday night but there will be at least one change to the bench after young back-rower Jaydn Su’a accepted the early guilty plea for a shoulder charge on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan and will miss one game.
Former Sharks premiership winner Sam Tagataese came through his first game for Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup unscathed and would add considerable size and experience to a Broncos team desperate to muscle up on Friday.
“I don’t think it’s hard for the boys to get up for this one,” Sims said.
“They’ve been doing it for a long time now with the local derby and everyone should be up for this game.
“It was un-Bronco-like last week and it will be easy for the boys to get up for this weekend.
“Sam Tagataese has been good for the playing group and good for the some of the young Islander boys as well.
“He’s very experienced and still has a lot to offer.
“That’s why he came here. He still wants to play his best footy and that’s why everyone wants to come to a good club, to play their best footy and have fun.”

Good. I hope Wayne tore strips off them.

First game of the season or not. It wasn't bloody good enough.

Boyd is done. He has worse hamstrings than hodges and shouldn't be anywhere near the fullback jersey.

They didn't miss this one. There's a video of it at the link from Fox Sports

Oh wow, he raised his voice for 10 seconds. When I think of coaches giving sprays I think of Bellamy losing his shit and blowing a few blood vessels. That 10sec raised voice is hardly worth writing a story over.

If a 70 year old bloke started going off at me I wouldn’t be able to not piss myself laughing

He often let's rip at them. I saw him giving Haas and Fifita and almighty roasting for not knowing the drills.

If a 70 year old bloke started going off at me I wouldn’t be able to not piss myself laughing

A 70 year should not be that stressed out at that stage of life. Might pop a vessel of some sort.

That’s why you start your set out by spreading it against a rushing defence. Very rarely would teams send there whole line of defence on the first few tackles of a set. I’m not saying go from side to side, we need to work to a point and then smash that with straight rucks. I’m saying use that as a starting point for or sets .
They used to do that when lockyer and Hodges played together, but honestly, I don't know if the team has the players to try it, or the confidence to try. As attractive as Milford passing a 30 metre pass to a Roberts early with a poorly set defence sounds, he doesnt yet have confidence to pass consistantly from dummy half. There were several times Milford was awful. I think they went into the game with the idea of grinding st George out of it, but the errors killed them.
It'll interesting to see the forward line up this week. A few might be missing, along with at least one back by the sound of it.
One thing I do know: they'll need to build a better platform before attacking regardless.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Scorchie
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Ozired
  • Allo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • cento
  • Waynesaurus
  • Maroon4life
  • broncos4life
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Broncosgirl
  • LockyersLeftBoot
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.