Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

There's still a fair bit of improvement in that team, and they made plenty of silly, simple errors. Kicks were still sub-par from what I saw, and the team made some crucial errors, that in other games might have been match-deciding.
The difference was the attitude across the board. An ordinary kick was chased hard making the result a whole lot better. Our forwards, defended a lot early, but our backs recognised it and kicks were sent down the edges where tackling and chases could consolidate, or into touch. The runs were with purpose, but it was the "IN YOUR FACE" defence that decided the game. Pressure on the cowboys completely unsettled them, and it was only at the end (after defending multiple sets) when they were tired, that the cowboys came back into it. Even then, you had the feeling if the broncos got the ball back, they were ready to finish them off, rather than just hang on, like some previous games. Loved it!

I don't want to be a party pooper. But I thought tonight showed we are not Premiership contenders but likely a 5th-8th team. I LOVED how gusty and competitive we were.

But if we are being honest, Cowboys were missing Morgan (probably their best player these days) and Coote - and we were barely hanging on there at the end.

Obviously was good to stick one over the Cowboys but I thought tonight showed our limitations this year also.

But I can be proud of the Broncos team I watched tonight. I just ask for that effort every week.
One game doesn't make a season, just like last week. But just on the game, they also got an 11-5 penalty count and we are missing Bird and were a player down after 15 minutes and also bombed 3 tries. They weren't at their best but Boyd, milf, knik, lodge and isaako are all players that aren't at their peak right now as well. Even Macca when you consider it was his first full game. Tpj will play more minutes as the season goes on as well. That type of outlook goes both ways

I remember when someone said that he is cursed when he plays centre. I'm surprised he didn't get injured last week.

Was pretty innocuous as well. 9/10 player bounces up after that. But he breaks his jaw!

Really, really impressed with McCullough, and I'm generally a big critic of him. Played 80 minutes (I believe) and of consistently high standard. Obviously didn't have as much gas at the end as he did at the start when he was making all those runs, but it was an excellent performance.

Agree.......I wish he was like that every game.

@Number6 stole my thunder VERY well but anyway, I find doing these very c(p)athar(e)tic, so here we go:

1. Boyd - Not a fan of his at the moment as you all know and well, can i just say...after tonight...nothing has changed there. I'm sorry to start on a bit of a negative after what was a fantastic victory but this guy is playing busted. I happily cannot question his effort tonight but as much as his mind is willing, his body at present is shot. He threw a beautiful couple of passes though and if he can somehow get over that hammy, he'll be very good once again. That scenario is questionable though. That drop could have also cost the game. Not a happy fan, he still needs a rest or time on the wing. 5
2. Oates - I thought he was fantastic. I am also still not completely convinced that foot went over the sideline before the ball went down but happy enough with the decision now and at the time, there was definitely doubt. He really had not right to even get that close. His pick up off his bootlaces was gold too. He was sucking in defenders left, right and centre as well. Such a gun in that position. 8
3. Roberts - Was quiet at times but he is just an ever present danger at all times and that run to set up Kodi was sublime. He is showing a lot of maturity out there. He went a bit quiet at times but he's been one of the few shining lights through the first two rounds, great stuff. 8
4. Kahu - Well he's gone for a while, I hope they found his teeth. Will be feeling that wrong head positioning for a while. Not really a loss now given how well Oppa went and Isaako is going on the wing. 3
5. Isaako - That one take he did there really reminded me of Yow Yeh. :( He looks a gun winger and a very good goal-kick. Did a see a torpedo spiral on those goal kicks? That drop off the drop-out though was unforgivable. There is something about him as a winger. I'm still not convinced about him at fullback but don't really think anyone will go worse than Boyd at present. 7
6. Milford - He ran the ball and everything else in his game fed off that. In the words of The Flash, 'Run, Milf, Run.' That kick went dead and didn't even look like stopping, he needs to develop that but with him, it is and always has been, all about attitude. Tonight was definitely a step in the right direction. Not Man of the Match, sorry, not even close. 7
7. KNik - I thought he was great (sorry @Accept, couldn't help myself). But seriously, he was a LOT better than last week. You could see him talking and backing up almost every half break there was. He is such a cool head and had that kick been slightly better for Boyd (not that Boyd really helped on that one), that would have been a sensational try. Still scratchy but give him time, he has the skills, the attitude and temperament, just needs to develop the consistency. I really feel that middle period of the game showed what this team can be once everything clicks. 7
8. Lodge - Best compliment I can give him, he looks like Matt Scott in the Broncos jersey. He was very, very good once again. Him and TPJ have the potential to be a long-term prop team like Civo-Webcke (no I'm not saying they are as good or even comparing their abilities, I'm saying that they can have a long-term partnership only) were. Lodge was smashing everything he hit and was running with no sense of self-preservation at all. He isn't the finished product by any means but for a guy who was playing his second NRL game in years, that was stunning stuff. What a weapon. 9
9. Macca - He was always going to be rusty last week but boy, I don't think any of us expected him to be THAT good that quick. What a game that was. He looks like he has spent his time injured studying and improving the things he could work on, that is all any of us have ever wanted to see. He was absolutely influential, second-best on ground...just and that is absolutely no shame, TPJ was just on another level. 9.5
10. TPJ - I don't care what they have to pay him, just sign him up long-term. Every man and his dog has been able to see just how good this kid will be (maybe after tonight - already is). He has it all and now, it seems the tank to match. Picked his offloads well, ran with terrifying intensity. Almost getting that try was amazing in itself, despite not getting there in the end. And goodness me, that defense! I was critical of his defense after last week but tonight, goodness me tonight was next level. He smashed EVERYTHING that moved, not just tackled, belted, steam-rolled and then got up and did the same to whoever was next in the vicinity. That final tackle of belting Bolton into the pole was just brilliant presence of mind. His penalty he gave away was also dubious at best. Yep, first one of the year - 10.
11. Glenn - Was solid as always without being great, still think Su'a will replace him by the end of the year but no shame in that. A tremendous club man who seemed to be playing injured but not letting it bother him. One of his shots was textbook hitting, great stuff. 6
12. Gillett - Let in that Cooper try by allowing Kodi to be isolated. Not great and sporadic once again. He is too good not to come good though but would like to see the rust out of his game as soon as possible. Still a great player, just needs time. 5
13. McGuire - Back to his best once again tonight. I would really love to see him develop an out the back pass. He backs it up every time so well into the defense and has his arms free. He really lifted the side though when he came back on, great stuff. 8

14. Thaiday - I am often critical of Thaiday and still think that he or Sims should be replaced by Haas by season's end but the old guy has so much credit in the bank. He wasn't bad in his stints tonight, just not great either (and he hasn't been for a long time sadly). I'm cutting him some slack though, that 'push' was pretty soft all in all. Still, it cost a try. 5
15. Joffa - He was fantastic. Uncharacteristically quiet week last week but he really built on the momentum the starting props laid when he came on. He hit hard in defense and made some really high energy, high impact runs. The key for him is to be able to do that on a consistent basis but a very impressive outing. 8
16. Sims - Still want more from the guy. Smashed everything that came his way as he usually does but just doesn't have the same punch that you need from a prop. Work on getting those hit-ups mate, add something to your defense, you are big enough and skillful enough to do it. 6
17. Oppa - The missing link from last week. He should have started at centre and sadly, I think Kahu's injury paves the way for what should have happened last week anyway, Oppa at starting centre. I am sure Bird will take that place when he is fit again but I think it is a bit of a shame. Oppa love the club and really is the Reed-type centre the team is crying out for. He made some bad reads in defense but worked his butt off to double back and make up for it. He also knows how to put his winger away. Really impressive game. 7

Finally,

18 - The Goal Post - Just want to say, that teamwork that you did with TPJ ultimately won the game for the team, that alone makes him an outstanding contributor tonight. For someone not even in the 30 man squad, that is just stunning work. In inaniminate metallic plastic covered post we trust as the saying goes. Only criticism is that he could have come to the side's aid at other times. 9

I agree about Lodge. Guy is very impressive all things considered. A lot of upside.

We still don't pass it to Roberts nearly enough. Frustrates me no end. You just have to get him the ball early and let him do the rest.

I was actually really unhappy with Boyd. I get that he tried hard, but he did more harm than good tonight. His kicks were shocking, and he dropped the ball at least a few times. If he can cut out that shit from tonight's performance, but keeps the aggressive attitude, it'll be good again.

Also it was really good to see Roberts create something out of nothing again. I wish he'd be more involved in those tough stages of the game though. Like when Hodges used to take some great runs or throw in some of the best passes in recent Broncos history. Maybe it'll come as he grows older too.

Only thing that could have made the Bennett press conference even better was a mic drop at the end
Media talked shit all week and we pantsed them

Defending Thaiday for once. He'll never be the player he was, but after GoalPostGate, pushed the young kids out of the way and took multiple hard runs in the one set, knowing that the team needed an experienced head to be facing the Cowboys defenders who were going to do everything they could to exploit just the slightest loose carry, or hesitant collision. Run hard, tuck it under, get low, and give them nothing.

In short, a great team effort - which is the main reason we won.
The starting forwards set the platform, the bench kept the momentum going and the backs / halves had an opportunity to play to their strengths on the back of that.
We played like a pack of ravaged wolves tonight, getting our hackles up at even the slightest perceived challenge.
It was a night with moments of brilliance sprinkled into a real solid performance, along with its fair share of areas to improve on as well.
That performance certainly won’t win us a premiership, but playing like that every week will set a great foundation. It will also mean teams will have to beat us - gritty teams win comps and we were plenty gritty tonight.
A massive step in the right direction.
Now we just need to keep going in that direction.

I thought turning point in attack was Roberts as usual. Amazing player did not get enough ball on his side, we need to use him more somehow. Macca an TPJ were amazing. Not sure why everyone things Lodge played that well, seemed solid but made a number of penalties. Overall great team effort good to see Milf back. As usual though its all off the back of intense defense and fast energetic play. We still need to find our kicking game etc but so glad we are back using our speed and good D.

I don't want to be a party pooper. But I thought tonight showed we are not Premiership contenders but likely a 5th-8th team. I LOVED how gusty and competitive we were.

But if we are being honest, Cowboys were missing Morgan (probably their best player these days) and Coote - and we were barely hanging on there at the end.

Obviously was good to stick one over the Cowboys but I thought tonight showed our limitations this year also.

But I can be proud of the Broncos team I watched tonight. I just ask for that effort every week.

We're not premiership contenders with that sort of an effort & you ask that sort of effort every week? I reckon with sort of effort without those 3 missed opportunities, we ARE the contenders mate for me.

Cows were the favorites to win the comp and we beat them at their own game. Now what would that make us? 5-8th team? Definitely not mate. We will be at the top for sure.

That's the fucking hunger and determination I wanted to fucking see!

Now we just need to work on ball control and converting opportunities into points.

But we just took down the premiership favourites.

This.

And we bombed three tries...

Active Now

• Santa
  • Justwin
  • BroncoFan94
  • Stix
  • Maddy
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • Ondi
  • whykickamoocow
  • Matheos
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.