Round 2 - Broncos vs. Dragons - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The fear with Norman at fb is his returns and it is the reason hoffman originally pushed him out, he is going to have to improve especially in light of the lack of go forward up front and the conceding of easy metres by a lacklustre defensive line. If it wasn't for the penalties we would have had precious little opportunities inside manly's 40m last night. If it continues to be a problem i don't think hook will hesitate to shift Hodges back there, leaving no room for norman.

The roster really has a makeshift feel atm and then the question has to be asked what are we doing if we don't have a roster capable of winning the comp, we are neither rebuilding or at our premiership window. It's only one game into the 2013 season but 2014 is looking just as bleak atm.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Drawing a long bow there, the earlier 7 o'clock kick-off to suit nsw tv was most likely the problem there imo. There were a handful of bays half empty at kick off and didn't fill up until around the 20min mark. An extra 45mins makes a lot of difference on a Friday afternoon.

We've had 6:30pm starts and still drawn better.

Season opener, 25th anniversary, it's a very disappointing figure any way you slice it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I wouldn't expect miracles and would be careful of the dragqueens who still have a good enough pack to dominate ours the way it's currently playing.

My team would be:

1- Norman
2- Kemp/Berryman or Hoffman
3- Hoffman or Kahu
4- Hodges
5- Maranta
6- Prince
7- Wallace
8- McGuire
9- McCullough
10-Parker
11- Glenn
12- Thaiday
13- Gillett

14- Reed
15- Hannant
16- Sanderson or Dodds
17- Timu/Oates/Molo/Hala

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Dear god, is this what our season has come to already? Luke Capewell as a potentially effective option?

... these 'build up' threads are a laugh more often than not... I swear some folks think RL is played on paper and it's just a matter of writing down a snazzy new lineup ..

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
I'd keep the same line up but push Thaiday back into the 2nd row, Gillett to the bench and Hannant or Dodds to start. I reackon give it some time for the team to gel and hopefully they will improve. However, I would really like to see some changes occur down the track, namely Kemp taking one of the wing positions and maybe an impact forward for Stagg, such as Hala. Possibly a true hooker instead of Hunt as well. Hook's use of Stagg was a bit baffling and pointless IMO. He has to define a proper role for Stagg, otherwise I feel another player would make a better impact on the game.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Crowds are a concern. I didn't renew my membership this year for family reasons, and honestly I didn't miss it watching on TV. Atmosphere seemed average, and I was glad I didn't have to deal with getting home afterwards.

Attending games at suncorp is not that attractive these days.

Anyway as far as the team for round 2, I'd keep it simple.

Thaiday to back row, Gillett to bench, Hannant to start. Stagg out, Anderson in.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Put Inglis in this team and after a few runs I can see him stand, hands on hips and ask: "where is everyone?"

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Crowds are a concern. I didn't renew my membership this year for family reasons, and honestly I didn't miss it watching on TV. Atmosphere seemed average, and I was glad I didn't have to deal with getting home afterwards.

Attending games at suncorp is not that attractive these days.

Anyway as far as the team for round 2, I'd keep it simple.
Thaiday to back row, Gillett to bench, Hannant to start. Stagg out, Anderson in.

I love going to watch Broncos games but IMO watching a live game on a Friday night after a big week of work is better. I'd probably have membership if we played loads of Saturday night or Sunday games.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I love going to watch Broncos games but IMO watching a live game on a Friday night after a big week of work is better. I'd probably have membership if we played loads of Saturday night or Sunday games.

True. And any Monday night game is an absolute gee up.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
We have 3 in a row in rounds 12, 13 & 14 (2 of which are at home) :glare:

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
3 monday night games in a row? that's bonkers if you ask me.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Come on boys, we can't complain, we've got the luck of the draw. Right?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
So when will we stop experimenting with players and positions - this week? next week? During Origin?

This is becoming a joke; settle on a side starting with 1, 6, 7 & 9

Get some structures and leadership and get on with it

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
To be honest, i thought the forwards would pick themselves (in position) before R1 but obviously not. It feels like it's an Origin game in that they are just trying to find spots for the guys so they are in the team, not the best person for the position. This is what i wouldn't mind seeing from R2 onwards. As a lot of people are saying and i agree, pick the side and stick with the side.

Hannant -- Needs to be run on
Macca -- Needs to play 80
McGuire
Thaiday -- Needs to be running wide and playing close to 70 (60 at least)
Glenn -- same as Thaiday
Parker -- Plays 80 and goes where he wants to

Gillett -- rotates for Thaiday and Glenn
Anderson -- Rotates for Hannant / Mcguire
Dodds -- same as Anderson
Hunt -- Feel sorry for this guy but if Macca can't play 80 then Hunt comes in for the break. The Halves have to play 80 , unless injury. Unfortunatley i don't think Stagg has a place in the team.

I assume a lot of people would be thinking the same way as above and again with an Origin bit that everyone can see this bar the coaching staff.

Anyway, i'll stick by 'em no matter what and honestly, it was the first game of the year...anything could have happened, just unfortunate it went the way it did.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i think we'd do better switching mcguire back to the bench and starting with hannant and dodds in front row. ok dodds' go forward may not be the best but whats thaiday giving us at prop. at least dodds can put a few blokes on their back in the early part of the game and then we can bring mcguire on after 15-20 to rip in.

honestly i would have thaiday on the bench, though its never going to happen. but glenn gillett parker is a better back row at this stage. gillett needs to spend as much time as humanly possible working with hodges on the right, these two together will be a weapon for us this year.

hoffman should move to centre. reed isnt looking all that good.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Disagree with people saying Macca needs to play 80. He only needs to play 80 if someone like Hunt is on the bench to cover him. With a proper hooker, I'd prefer to see him play less.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
yeah i dont get calls for macca to play 80. he's too slow and crap playing 60.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Any reason now to stick with Norman now his heading to the Eels? Time for some fresh blood I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.