PRE-GAME [Round 20, 2024] Broncos vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Irrelevant to your original point, which to be honest, was written ignorantly of facts but there is a lot of that going around of course.
Fact - our defence is absolute dogshit. Fact - Big show has not improved it one iota. What are you smokin man?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Fact - our defence is absolute dogshit. Fact - Big show has not improved it one iota. What are you smokin man?

Again, not the point you argued. You said:

We'll continue to fall in a heap so long as we continue to think our defence needs no work.

The result is irrelevant, it is clear that Kevvie doesn't 'think our defense needs no work' - this is just a stupid thing to say.

But hey, in all honesty, this is not the stupidest thing you'll hear today.

I've already read comments that the high error rate is not the players' faults, this is also the coaches'.

I've also read that all of our success last year was Reynolds' coaching. All of the struggle this year is because Reynolds isn't helping them. So apparently a busted bicep means he also can't speak anymore.

So all the success is thanks to Reynolds, all the failure is thanks to Kevvie.

And of course, no matter what, its all Billy's fault too

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
This game is a absolute must for us, we can't afford to rest our origin boys for this game. We need all our boys back for this game and I would like to see Mozer get another run too.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
The game was almost a mirror of origin 2. Onslaught of penalties and six agains in the first half. Shit defence, but it's impossible to get out of the rut due to the other side getting every leg up under the sun and you're permanently on the backfoot.

Then they do a 180 and give the other side (QLD/us) even ups in the 2nd half. It's like clockwork and happens almost every game with a lopsided pen count/six again. Couldn't buy a call in the first half then we just magically seem to get them all. Yeah ok "ffffuuuuuuuuuu:

The manipulation and game management is insane for a so called professional sport. It's bordering on corruption.
Roosters are arguably the best team in the comp this year and have conceded the most penalties by far. I think some people (Kevvie included-at least what he says to the press) are confusing symptoms of the problem with the actual problem.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Roosters are arguably the best team in the comp this year and have conceded the most penalties by far. I think some people (Kevvie included-at least what he says to the press) are confusing symptoms of the problem with the actual problem.

Not only they most penalised (7.3 a game) but the most suspended too- Total of 23 weeks suspension this year. Next "Best" is Tigers on 12 matches.

But they have the third best defence 17.5 points a game against. They defend the penalties.

B

bert_lifts

QCup Player
May 15, 2021
Roosters are arguably the best team in the comp this year and have conceded the most penalties by far.

Missing the point once again. Those stats are meaningless without context. How many of the penalties/six agains were on first tackle sets etc? Where and when you give away a penalty is a big deal.

The game management is obvious in many matches. It completely 180's between teams and then snowballs due to fatigue.

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

QCup Player
May 3, 2024
Missing the point once again. Those stats are meaningless without context. How many of the penalties/six against were on first tackle sets etc? Where and when you give away a penalty is a big deal.

The game management is obvious in many matches. It completely 180's between teams and then snowballs due to fatigue.
Agreed
I am so sick of us giving away 6 agains and we don’t even slow down the play the ball
We give such dumb penalties and immediately capitulate when under any pressure
The good sides give away penalties and six against they benefit from

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

QCup Player
May 3, 2024
This game is an absolute must for us, we can't afford to rest our origin boys for this game. We need all our boys back for this game and I would like to see Mozer get another run too.
The season is over sadly
If we could just turn around our form in 1 week
We would have done it 5 weeks ago

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I'm dreading this game to be honest. I'm foreseeing a massive scoreline against us and Kev will be under a tonne of pressure. If he has lost the dressing room, we will know by next weekend.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Not only they most penalised (7.3 a game) but the most suspended too- Total of 23 weeks suspension this year. Next "Best" is Tigers on 12 matches.

But they have the third best defence 17.5 points a game against. They defend the penalties.
8 of those 23 is from one moron racist though

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Again, not the point you argued. You said:

The result is irrelevant, it is clear that Kevvie doesn't 'think our defense needs no work' - this is just a stupid thing to say.

But hey, in all honesty, this is not the stupidest thing you'll hear today.

I've already read comments that the high error rate is not the players' faults, this is also the coaches'.

I've also read that all of our success last year was Reynolds' coaching. All of the struggle this year is because Reynolds isn't helping them. So apparently a busted bicep means he also can't speak anymore.

So all the success is thanks to Reynolds, all the failure is thanks to Kevvie.

And of course, no matter what, its all Billy's fault too
Mate that’s you called implied I’m ignorant and now stupid. If you’re going to insist on sly ad hominem you can **** right off.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

Can we talk about McGuire's nickname for a second? "The Big Show", the big show of what? He got hyped up in his Bronco days and ended up being a grub.

The only other bloke I know of with that nickname is Glenn Maxwell, which I can at least half understand. On his day there's nobody better. Can't say the same about Josh McGuire.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Often off the back of a number of dubious 6-again decisions that never get questioned. If the ref blows 6 penalties in the first 20 minutes, everyone's up in arms. 2 penalties and 5 six agains? - barely gets a mention.
100% I have been on this train for ages! I started a thread about it, even. I fucking hate this 6-again BS, but we do ourselves no favours by not holding the ball when we get it, and seriously, nobody finds their front for a quick PTB.

I seriously think we could have won against saints if a couple of things had gone our way (that held-up try for starters, our conversions, Madden getting a BS "knock-on PTB" call, etc.) but FMD if we can't bloody get the backs like Mariner to stop going in upright into contact and Willison and Haas not standing in the bloody tackle without any real desire to offload.

The game is now all about speed and fitness. If our backs are lighter, but faster then they shouldn't be trying to break tackles through the middle working it out. They should be either trying to get it wide fast early, or making their 5-10 and finding their front for a quick PTB. It's that simple. The dummy-half scoot should be the first thought, not a one-out play to a weak back running directly into 2-3 fwd or running sideways (Mariner). If we want to do one-out stuff we need it to be either Staggs or Cobbo or Oates, not Arthars or Mariner or Sailor or Walsh. We need Haas and Willison to run like Jensen and Tapau, who seem to be much better at finding their front. Patty also needs to pick his moments better and Hetherington needs to stop running a crossing path with Patty or Haas. He runs an X, where he should be running parallel off the shoulder. It's great when it can draw a tackler off to a minor extent or take a short ball and break, but seriously he is just getting in the way lately.

This should all be trained every week. Contact, find front, fast PTB, not some bullshit walk the ruck an extra 5 meters with no offload, while the defensive line resets. The more we find front and work for a quick PTB, the more likely we are to draw a penalty. If we decide, **** it, no penalty after 3 times, it will never happen, then they will just revert to these plays that advantage the defending team.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Elaborate on this for me, please? Are you saying giving away cynical penalties is something we should do too? Or are you just saying that we should be able to defend our penalties better?

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
Elaborate on this for me, please? Are you saying giving away cynical penalties is something we should do too? Or are you just saying that we should be able to defend our penalties better?
I'm saying there's no causation between penalties/errors and winning/losing games. We give away those cynical penalties when we start losing the ruck, what happens if we don't give them away? They just run through us anyway and pick apart our retreating defence. I think the bigger questions are why are they winning the ruck and why are they putting more fatigue into us than we are into them?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'm saying there's no causation between penalties/errors and winning/losing games. We give away those cynical penalties when we start losing the ruck, what happens if we don't give them away? They just run through us anyway and pick apart our retreating defence. I think the bigger questions are why are they winning the ruck and why are they putting more fatigue into us than we are into them?
There's some truth in this but it's hard to quarantine it from our biggest issues: giving away possession and field position.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Here's what we need to happen this game:

Press conference: Patty, Payne, Selwyn and Reece throw press conference and declare they're going to back up and win this one for Kevvie.

Game day: Broncos put 60 on Knights.

Kevvie post match press conference: "Fairly happy with that, but we still have a few things to work on. I thought Blake Mozer had a good game."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.