PRE-GAME [Round 20, 2024] Broncos vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I think the team resorts to high risk plays because the opposition does the basics and fundamentals so much better than us that we get dominated and lose the field position and possession battle... and they get desperate from terrible field position.

We are horrendous in the wrestle and cannot slow anyone down... the opposition are basically playing on easy mode because of it and it becomes a low risk training run and completing 60m sets.

Broncos feel the pressure because the basics is not winning us field position and they know that means they arent winning the game so they know something has to change and then it's high risk footy time
We have so much natural attacking ability it doesn’t need to be encouraged. What needs to be encouraged is what you’ve stated, it would be a godsend. We would end up scoring more because the opposition would be frustrated and tired, our natural attacking ability would run rampant.

But noooooooo we don’t want to do the simple things well.

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

QCup Player
May 3, 2024
We have so much natural attacking ability it doesn’t need to be encouraged. What needs to be encouraged is what you’ve stated, it would be a godsend. We would end up scoring more because the opposition would be frustrated and tired, our natural attacking ability would run rampant.

But noooooooo we don’t want to do the simple things well.
We tried it for 5 minutes and we didn’t win
So we gave up

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Expected Team List

1 Tristan Sailor
2 Corey Oates
3 Kotoni Staggs
4 Deine Mariner
5 Jesse Arthars
6 Ezra Mam
7 Josh Rogers
8 Corey Jensen
9 Billy Walters
10 Xavier Willison
11 Brendan Piakura
12 Jordan Riki
13 Tyson Smoothy
14 Blake Mozer
15 Kobe Hetherington
16 Josiah Karapani
17 Martin Taupau

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I think the team resorts to high risk plays because the opposition does the basics and fundamentals so much better than us that we get dominated and lose the field position and possession battle... and they get desperate from terrible field position.

We are horrendous in the wrestle and cannot slow anyone down... the opposition are basically playing on easy mode because of it and it becomes a low risk training run and completing 60m sets.

Broncos feel the pressure because the basics is not winning us field position and they know that means they arent winning the game so they know something has to change and then it's high risk footy time

They remind me of the 94-96 Broncos, moved away from hard work and just dropped off 5% because we are talented, and talent will get us through always waiting for something- When Origin is over, when Reynolds gets back, Alf will get us through, but they don't get it done.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Rogers was really bad... hopefully that was just nerves or something.
That shit effort in defence when he and sailor failed to stop some no-name winger score the easiest of tries was quite unforgivable. He's supposed to be trying his heart out to impress the coach. Well if that is his best, I'd hate to see him on an off day.
The whole team though just cannot defend. It seems everyone has been put under strict instructions to not risk putting a shoulder into someones' head and instead to tackle with the arms only.

We are the biggest bunch of pussies when it comes to driving players back and winning the ruck. I'd hate to see the post-contact metres made against us. We must top that table at least.

For a club the size of Brisbane with it's almost limitless cash to spend on support, our defensive structures and tackling technique has to be the worst in the comp. We've been bleeding multiple tries in 10 -15 minute burst for the past five years. It's how we lost the GF last year. We'll continue to fall in a heap so long as we continue to think our defence needs no work.

It's one thing saying it's all right we'll score more than we concede, until we are down on troops then the whole plan A goes to shit. Kev needs to desperately find two good assistants that can coach and implement a plan B when we lose troops to injury and origin.

At the minute he's got nix!!

Unless DD gets somebody in to fix our D Kev will be gone by next season. Simples!!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
That shit effort in defence when he and sailor failed to stop some no-name winger score the easiest of tries was quite unforgivable.
Agreed. I think we have to let Sailor go to the ESL, unfortunately. It's a shame because he really did have some "hello boys" moments in the trials. Stuff that must look terrific on his reel. The old Wonderbra effect.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
That shit effort in defence when he and sailor failed to stop some no-name winger score the easiest of tries was quite unforgivable. He's supposed to be trying his heart out to impress the coach. Well if that is his best, I'd hate to see him on an off day.
The whole team though just cannot defend. It seems everyone has been put under strict instructions to not risk putting a shoulder into someones' head and instead to tackle with the arms only.

We are the biggest bunch of pussies when it comes to driving players back and winning the ruck. I'd hate to see the post-contact metres made against us. We must top that table at least.

For a club the size of Brisbane with it's almost limitless cash to spend on support, our defensive structures and tackling technique has to be the worst in the comp. We've been bleeding multiple tries in 10 -15 minute burst for the past five years. It's how we lost the GF last year. We'll continue to fall in a heap so long as we continue to think our defence needs no work.

It's one thing saying it's all right we'll score more than we concede, until we are down on troops then the whole plan A goes to shit. Kev needs to desperately find two good assistants that can coach and implement a plan B when we lose troops to injury and origin.

At the minute he's got nix!!

Unless DD gets somebody in to fix our D Kev will be gone by next season. Simples!!

Look I understand the disappointment fans are feeling, I feel it too but we don't need to make up stuff to support our views which a lot of posters are doing. Kevvie constantly talks about us needing to have better defense and almost always talks about them working hard on defense at training. It is a fallacy to say they don't see this as extremely important. Isn't this one of the reasons McGuire was bought back in - to work on wrestling, niggle, etc?

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Look I understand the disappointment fans are feeling, I feel it too but we don't need to make up stuff to support our views which a lot of posters are doing. Kevvie constantly talks about us needing to have better defense and almost always talks about them working hard on defense at training. It is a fallacy to say they don't see this as extremely important. Isn't this one of the reasons McGuire was bought back in - to work on wrestling, niggle, etc?
Oh I see the Bigshow was brought in to sort all the issues. How is that working?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Oh I see the Bigshow was brought in to sort all the issues. How is that working?

Irrelevant to your original point, which to be honest, was written ignorantly of facts but there is a lot of that going around of course.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
They remind me of the 94-96 Broncos, moved away from hard work and just dropped off 5% because we are talented, and talent will get us through always waiting for something- When Origin is over, when Reynolds gets back, Alf will get us through, but they don't get it done.
Very good point. If you look at the NRL now it is pretty clear who the hardest working teams are. Penrith and Melbourne by a margin I would say.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Expected Team List

1 Tristan Sailor
2 Corey Oates
3 Kotoni Staggs
4 Deine Mariner
5 Jesse Arthars
6 Ezra Mam
7 Josh Rogers
8 Corey Jensen
9 Billy Walters
10 Xavier Willison
11 Brendan Piakura
12 Jordan Riki
13 Tyson Smoothy
14 Blake Mozer
15 Kobe Hetherington
16 Josiah Karapani
17 Martin Taupau
The Origin quartet will be named on the extended bench and will probably play i reckon. Alot of talk around Mozer sparking our attack last week. Another contributing factor i think was when Mam started playing both sides of the field with some urgency in the second half. It was great to see! Despite me having a tantrum over his slips in the first half I hope that gives him some confidence next week. I would love nothing more than for him to become this Elite 5/8 that can win us games!

If Sailor is at fullback again i think we are pretty fucked. He is just the most costly player in terms of errors.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Very good point. If you look at the NRL now it is pretty clear who the hardest working teams are. Penrith and Melbourne by a margin I would say.
best take yet. Kevy mentioned it at the start of the season, taking the easy way out. Not wanting to build any pressure and trying to solve problems individually in Defence and attack.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
I reckon it's actually the Bulldogs. Their defence is all effort.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I think what is annoying fans the most (except probably Panthers and Storm fans) is that the game is basically over in the first 20 minutes these days. Consciously or subconsciously most people who know the game can already tell that if one team has had all the possession, got a certain number of 6-agains and a couple of tries in the first 20 minutes, that it's game over... AND THEN WE ARE FORCED TO SIT THROUGH THE FARCE FOR ANOTHER HOUR!
Often off the back of a number of dubious 6-again decisions that never get questioned. If the ref blows 6 penalties in the first 20 minutes, everyone's up in arms. 2 penalties and 5 six agains? - barely gets a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • pennywisealfie
  • Sproj
  • Hurrijo
  • Tim K
  • Griffo
  • DrGee
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.