PRE-GAME Round 21 - Cowboys vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Do you guys reckon we would go better with Turpin at hooker and Macca at 7? I know Macca will offer very little here, but I still feel like Turpin brings much more to the team at 9. Having someone who drops the big fellas like Turpin does is invaluable when our team seems to so often be retreating in defence.

I agree with this. Macca didn’t do too badly in the 2nd half of the Sharks game, handy short kicking game at times. Can’t really be any worse, might improve the defence on the right edge a bit while giving Jake the spot he’s best at

Couple nice kicks, everything else perfectly serviceable.

I think he even won us a repeat set during that game so I was probably a bit harsh saying he'll offer very little. We know he has a decent long kick on him that the Broncos barely utilise, other than the occasional 40/20 he pulls off.

And don't even get me started on his running game! Watch out boys, the Andrew McCullough redemption arc starts now.

Name a worse set of halves in the league right now...

Last edited:
I seem to remember someone saying madness is repeating the same mistakes and expecting things to change. Is that the same team, barring Coates? Is Coates solely responsible for our last drubbing? What was all that about the team's performance being unacceptable and then picking a virtually identical team?
I can only hope there is some hidden strategy behind this I'm unaware of, as nothing that has been said in response to that loss has been followed through, and by picking virtually the same side afterwards, Siebold and Co. have said none of our depth is any good even after a 40 point thrashing, and likewise that performance is an acceptable result.
Players should have been made to justify their place and their commitment after a loss like that. Questions should have been asked as to how they would make sure that doesn't repeat itself. Heck, the coach should have been asked that too. Now, we are expected to believe that they all gave the right answer, except poor old Coates, a rookie.

One can only hope injuries are the only reason this is the best team we can come up with.

Now, we are expected to believe that they all gave the right answer, except poor old Coates, a rookie.

I don't think Coates has been held responsible for the loss, we just have TPJ back this week so Glenn can shift back out into the centres. Let's hope that Seibold makes the boys accountable with some tough training this week.

Herbie Farnworth at centre would not be so bad. Has a bit of a Michael-Hancock vibe about him. Loves the tough carries and looks most likely to break out of tackles.
Boyd, Boyd, Boyd... another wasted spot on the team, 13 versus 12 handicap leg up for the Cows.
[automerge]1565076694[/automerge]
No they would have to shuffle back to give him a break. But we need more variety in the halves at least to get ahead.

Not too worried about the halves, TPJ is back so that picks up the slack of not having a 5/8.

Last edited:
I seem to remember someone saying madness is repeating the same mistakes and expecting things to change. Is that the same team, barring Coates? Is Coates solely responsible for our last drubbing? What was all that about the team's performance being unacceptable and then picking a virtually identical team?

I'm not sure what changes we could make. O'Sullivan was expected back this week but it seems like he isn't quite there yet.

Farnworth and Coates are amazing prospects but they aren't ready for first grade.

We're stretched pretty damn thin.

Herbie Farnworth at centre would not be so bad. Has a bit of a Michael-Hancock vibe about him. Loves the tough carries and looks most likely to break out of tackles.
Boyd, Boyd, Boyd... another wasted spot on the team, 13 versus 12 handicap leg up for the Cows.
[automerge]1565076694[/automerge]

Not too worried about the halves, TPJ is back so that picks up the slack of not having a 5/8.
I'm just as worried about our 7 to be honest

I'm not sure what changes we could make. O'Sullivan was expected back this week but it seems like he isn't quite there yet.

Farnworth and Coates are amazing prospects but they aren't ready for first grade.

We're stretched pretty damn thin.

You are right about Coates, but I think Farnworth is ready for first grade.

I don't think Coates has been held responsible for the loss, we just have TPJ back this week so Glenn can shift back out into the centres. Let's hope that Seibold makes the boys accountable with some tough training this week.
Shouldn't tough training be a given for a side struggling to make the 8? My point is if the same players go round after a loss like that what is even the point of having depth? It's not like we are down to our last 17 players. Surely someone is worthy of being given a shot that has not been selected and if not how do they get picked ? lottery following injury?
If we have our last options for certain positions playing, it's time to concentrate on a strategy involving roles where we can demand consistency. I realise our halves are not exactly our first choice (or even 2nd or 3rd) but they are still expected to fulfill a role and it's up to the coach to make that role capable within the teams skill set.
Milford kicking is a good short term solution but surely they are others that have some ability within a 36 man squad? They can't all be out surely. Surely someone can follow a basic strategy that can give one of best packs we have had a fighting chance of 50/50 possession. And surely the team has learnt some defensive strategies they can enact, or at least work towards.
I thought this whole club inclusive idea at the start of the season was aimed at teaching our depth players to function within a common strategy?

They need to respond after last weeks buggery. I’m expecting a big game from everyone. The Cows won’t be pushovers but if we don’t win by 20+ I’ll be surprised.

So Boyd is No. 6 again. Looking at our full roster, assuming Milford is now a No. 1 and Turpin is a No. 9, we have four real options in the halves - Paix, Deardon, O'Sullivan and Dargan. So, summing up, we as a club have less than 10 games experience in the halves.

How the hell did a club like the Broncos - with all our resources - get to this point?

It isn't rocket science people. Look at the top four teams - Munster/Croft, Keary/Cronk, Wighton/Seizer, Walker/Reynolds.

There is zero chance of any improvement in this team until we import an experienced half - whether No. 6 or 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Mustafur
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.