Round 21 - Knights vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
if we win all our our games, we end up on 29. Usually the minimum to make it is 28. We are going to need some results to go our way and to win the rest of our games.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
If we want fitness I got the man, Kelvin Giles.

Or a tazer gun. They fail the fitness tests they get zapped.

I am willing to use the tazer guns.

I could even tazer the coach when he picks Maranta in the team or stuffs up the interchange.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I thought it was a real gutsy performance, Knights were a class above looking to repent from last week but some of our boys really put their hands up for us tonight and had we executed better we would have won.

First half was the Ben Hunt show. Finally, we had a halfback who decided to play what was in-front of him and wasn't it brilliant to see? Unfortunately, he didn't really follow through although some of those plays down the left hand side were definitely promising.

Second was just all guts. Unfortunately we barely got on the front foot. Again, it's hard to do much when one side of your fringe is so weak. All Newcastle had to do was turn it left and they had us in sixes and sevens. That price you've got to pay for Prince.

Credit where it's due, Prince's goal kicking once again saved our butt - good to see.

Also good to see the likes of Dodds, McCullough, McGuire, Thaiday, Gillett & Parker put their hand up tonight.

Feel a bit sorry for Wal. Usually he's so good in the clutch but that was a terrible attempt - Knights were gone, that kick could have jump-started our season. Wins like those are just massive for clubs.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Not just fitness, but speed in key areas. Maranta just has no aggression. His last pass to Hoffman IIRC looked like he was saying "No, No, not me .. you take it".

Oates showed what happens when you leave your wing, and, as for that step inside that should have been taken, well, he is a back rower.

Defence was good. Lines speed at times was appalling - gave them so much time and room to move

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
if we win all our our games, we end up on 29. Usually the minimum to make it is 28. We are going to need some results to go our way and to win the rest of our games.

So in other words we are gone for the year.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Proud of the effort tonight, but thank whatever god you pray to for Newcastle being a bunch of twats....they lost that game in golden point IMO.

No......Peter Wallace lost the game for BRISBANE in golden point. I don't think any kicker had as much time and was in as good a field position as he was.

I could have kicked it over, left footed.

I'm as disappointed in Maranta as anyone else, but that Leilua try was not his fault.

Yeah ...have to agree. Hodges missed the 1 on 1. Got bumped off pretty easily.

The Maranta hate bots are stuck in gear.....

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Are we still in the running for the finals?

Can't believe people are still asking this :loool:

Couldn't beat them with 2 props missing and Mullen running around half blind.

Pathetic.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So in other words we are gone for the year.

if we lose a game. I did a ladder predictor where i picked the likely winner of each match and have us win every match. we finish 8th. tied with knights for 7th but they have better points difference.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Also good to see the likes of Dodds, McCullough, McGuire, Thaiday, Gillett & Parker put their hand up tonight.

At what stage did Dodds step up? 9 runs for 75 metres, for a starting prop, is abysmal. Hannant came off the bench, made 2 less hit-ups, and made 30 more metres.

Lui, Dodds and Stagg were all pretty disgusting tonight, if they were a bit more efficient the likes of McGuire, Thaiday, Parker might've had a bit more energy in Golden Point.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
Stats are great, but they don't cover decoys and getting up quick. I think he's a must have for depth, won't set the world on fire, but won't let you down either.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I thought Stagg was impressive. He needs to play more minutes. He's clearly the best defender and one of the most mobile forwards in the side. Could have really used him out there for longer than 40 minutes.

C

cammo

Mar 6, 2012
Two gents walk into a bar.....

"how do you bomb a try?" I dunno
"you give it to Maranta" Ha Ha Ha

OK then

"how do you let a try in?"
"Ya run to Prince's side of the field" Ha Ha Ha

i digress. it was a big performance, but we have seen what a few changes can make to the team performing well, exciting and competitive.

However, we still miss out by a few points regularly.

If we are looking at the future..allegedly... are we going with Maranta next year. I mean surely someone out there can catch, run fast and be able to score a try..What about Prince, really he can kick goals, that's it.

Personally if we want a liability in defence, who wont be here next year, you might as well play Norman.

It is just getting silly and you can tell the frustrations on the players faces

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
The draw probably flattered us a little. We looked out on our feet after Reed's try and had to absorb a lot of pressure. A telling moment was when we had a good set coming off our line. Hunt botched the kick and the Knights scored from that set. A good kick there to the corners and that would have broke the knights. Maranta botched some tries but saved 3 by my count. Not that he'll get much credit on this board. Both teams could have got the win but lacked composure.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
and the attack is still standing way too flat. Short passes fizzled. Prince hasn't got the speed to play without room.

It's been a Broncos curse for years. Players got nailed as soon as they got the ball

I thought Reed had a great 1st game back

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
My only issue is with Maranta is that he just can't finish a try like any good winger should be able to. The rest of his work is usually pretty good. He falls over a lot though.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jazza
  • ell.d33
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • Browny
  • Allo
  • Ozired
  • barker
  • Dony Eliakim
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.